Author Topic: Wich o-rings from WASD  (Read 1576 times)

Offline SOROBORU88

Wich o-rings from WASD
« on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 03:26:45 »
Hello everyone, quick question. Which o-rings from wasd should I buy, when I want to make my black switches silent?

Thank you very much :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Wich o-rings from WASD
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 05:12:45 »
They won't be silent, but they will be a bit quieter.

Why not get the WASD Sampler Kit and try the different rings for yourself.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 05:35:08 »
I've considered that. But it would take ages to get it here and another ages to get the right o-rings here. I bought 4 black classick o-rings, but they are incredibly hard and expensive. About 2 times more expensive when you don't buy a buttload of them...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 07:31:30 »
I've considered that. But it would take ages to get it here and another ages to get the right o-rings here. I bought 4 black classick o-rings, but they are incredibly hard and expensive. About 2 times more expensive when you don't buy a buttload of them...

It depends on if you're ok with soft touch.

Because the soft orings will make your keys very quiet but feel like bottoming out on a rubber dome.

The harder one -somewhat- reduces noise, preserves decent bottom out rigidity.

I personally use silicone rings I've cut out of an old silicone sheet the went under old style rubber dome keyboard.

look for ghetto rings thread.

They are much softer around 30A, almost no noise from bottoming out.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 07:46:10 »
Well, since I have my mechanical keyboard with black switches, I really hate the rubberdome keaboards :D So no soft for me. Truth is, the rings I already have are very firm and keys activate much quicker and they are considerably quiter. If only they weren't so expensive. They are black.

Offline DarSee

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 21:38:54 »
I suggested this in your other o-rings thread. Check a body piercing shop. They should have o-rings.