Author Topic: Can't decide between Razer or Corsair RBG  (Read 7830 times)

Offline MellowFellow

Can't decide between Razer or Corsair RBG
« on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 18:28:50 »

Both seems really tempting. And Linus has reviewed both of these boards too.
I just love how they have a magnitude of colors instead of just 1 solid color.
And I heard the new razer switches were for solely for gaming instead of typing!!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Can't decide between Razer or Corsair RBG
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 18:41:52 »
Can you wait for the Ducky RGB?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72123.0

Or do you need it right now?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 18:59:59 »
Listen to the people and wait for the Ducky. At least get something with a standard bottom row.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 19:04:07 »
Show Image

Show Image

And I heard the new razer switches were for solely for gaming instead of typing!!

Do you want to spend more money on keycaps? Because if you buy the Razer, you'll want to tear off that hideous font and replace it.

And maybe use tape to cover the logo, but that's up to you.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 19:04:36 »
Do the corsair.  I like the looks a lot more.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 19:06:07 »

so, i've got this bridge for sale. are you interested in it?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Snarfangel

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 19:11:20 »

so, i've got this bridge for sale. are you interested in it?

As long as you realize "Designed for" does not necessarily mean "Best for," you'll be okay.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 19:39:45 »
Wait for the Duck...

Razer fk people in the ass..
I gotta agree with tp.

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 19:40:23 »
My wife has an RGB corsair and she likes it. Looks much nicer than the razer IMHO. The corsair utility for programming lighting, keys, and macros is possible the least intuitive, most painful piece of software I have used this side of EMACS (come at me!)

The ducky will be a nicer keyboard than both, but isn't nearly as programmable.

Offline Lazer

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 00:34:25 »
No one here would recommend you Corsair or razer. Most of the people here love ducky, filco, cmstorm etc. These brands offer more durable products and have ability to customize keycaps, which is great.
I will also recommend you to not go by looks and wait for ducky rgb.

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 01:19:56 »
I say you wait another month or 2, you'll change your mind.
Starting out I was the exact same, I wanted all those lights and color options. After 3 months with GeekHack I realize that lights are nice but they don't matter much at all... It's the keycaps and switches that take a keyboard from decent to AMAZING!  :thumb:
So the answer is... Wait a month, spend more time here, then buy a korean custom  :))
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 02:01:52 »
Show Image

Show Image

Do you want to spend more money on keycaps? Because if you buy the Razer, you'll want to tear off that hideous font and replace it.

And maybe use tape to cover the logo, but that's up to you.

Except that you can't because it uses a 6.0x spacebar.... So you're screwed. The Corsair uses a 6.5X... same problem... Neither are worth getting, IMHO.

If you just HAVE to have RGB, wait for the Ducky.

If, after thinking about it for a while you come to your senses and realise you don't NEED RGB, get a non-RGB Ducky. Or even (shock, horror) a non-backlit KUL.

Or you could skip all the usual "in-betweener" boards and go straight to a Korean Custom like a GON NerD for instance, but they don't come cheap. I prefer to buy the parts (GON PCB, nice case from wherever you find one that suits you, separate switches, etc) and modify the switches / assemble the board myself. Cheaper by a decent amount and even nicer to use, since you've put some real effort into it and can make it truly your own / unique.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Lazer

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 03:17:26 »
These fancy led lights can be very much tempting in the beginning but they will eventually die and that too much before your keyboard's switches will wear out. Then your either left with the option to solder new led manually or use it with non functional ones. The more downside of your choices is that the bottom row of both the keyboards is non standard.
What I feel is that the ability to customize the keycaps is much more useful than rgb lighting.
You can have many sets of keycaps which will always enhance the look of the keyboard.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 04:43:29 »
OR get a Keycool RGB. Kailh switches are a really good alternative to Cherry, and the way Kailh have developed their RGB switches means that the colours aren't washed out like in the offerings from Corsair or Razer. The press pics have filters on so the colours look a lot more bold, but in reality, they are really washed out

More

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 08:32:01 »
Wait for Ducky Shine 5 /thread lol

Offline Seranite

• Doesn't know what's going on.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 08:57:45 »
Like others have said, wait for the Ducky. If you stick around here long enough you will not like Razer or Corsair boards anymore ;)

ALSO, if you're anything like me you will probably get tired of the obnoxious LEDs on your board after using it for a while. I've got a Ducky Shine 3 and while the lights were cool at first, the novelty wears off after a while.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 09:21:47 »
Like others have said, wait for the Ducky. If you stick around here long enough you will not like Razer or Corsair boards anymore ;)

ALSO, if you're anything like me you will probably get tired of the obnoxious LEDs on your board after using it for a while. I've got a Ducky Shine 3 and while the lights were cool at first, the novelty wears off after a while.
Novelty wears out when using different modes. Just leave it on now.

Offline Seranite

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 09:24:01 »

I did for about a year, then just turned them off completely.  :(

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 09:24:32 »
I vote for ducky shine 5 too, but if you can't wait that long, Corsair is a better choice, the software looks powerful.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 09:27:43 »

Had mine since sep 2013. They've always been on lol

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:57:25 »
These fancy led lights can be very much tempting in the beginning but they will eventually die and that too much before your keyboard's switches will wear out. Then your either left with the option to solder new led manually or use it with non functional ones. The more downside of your choices is that the bottom row of both the keyboards is non standard.
What I feel is that the ability to customize the keycaps is much more useful than rgb lighting.
You can have many sets of keycaps which will always enhance the look of the keyboard.

This is pure sillyness, along with much of the opinions stated as fact in this thread.  LEDs in a board will likely outlast the connection protocol used to connect the keyboard to the computer (get those USB C converters ready...).  The one possible exception: korean customs!  Because doing LED brightness the right way uses PWM from the MCU, LEDs are actually only "on" for a fraction of the time they are being used, making the lifespan very, very long.  Korean customs tend to use higher resistor values to under-current the LEDs, but leaving them on all of the time.  But even still, it shouldn't be a realistic issue.

Keycap compatibility is probably the biggest reason people love the Ducky and show distain for the big manufacturers and their non-"standard" bottom row.  If you never want to change keycaps, then that's a non-issue.  The other issue likely has to do with the hamfisted marketing used by the big companies that is, in fact, pretty distasteful, but has absolutely nothing to do with the physical keyboard itself, and everything to do with "image".  Kind of like music, GH seems to want to be into the band that isn't always on the radio.  It's ok to like fancy backlighting, It's ok to like the corsair, and it's ok to like Taylor Swift.

In all truth--Ducky does make great stuff.  Their board will be very nice, but does intentionally sacrifice some programmability.  The Corsair board is also a very nice board, with very powerful software that is kind of terrible to use.  I'm not sure the Razer has much to offer in comparison to either.

Offline Seranite

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 12:09:18 »
it's ok to like Taylor Swift.

This is where I draw the line.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 12:17:26 »
Corsair Gaming has tramp stamp. Choosing Razer is reason to be bullied. ;)

The things that will wear out first on backlit keyboards are the keycaps. They are made from translucent plastic that has been painted black, and then black paint has been burned off with laser to create legends. The more they wear the more there will be ugly blank spots.
Most replacement sets have all 1.25 wide keys on the bottom row, like Ducky. This means that you will be able to replace the keycaps when they wear out. Vortex makes keycaps for backlighting that are not painted but double-shot from two types of plastic that will never wear out, and these fit the Ducky but not the Razer or the Corsair.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 17:38:24 »
The things that will wear out first on backlit keyboards are the keycaps. They are made from translucent plastic that has been painted black, and then black paint has been burned off with laser to create legends. The more they wear the more there will be ugly blank spots.

not all of them.  the max keyboard blackbird comes with doubleshots.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 18:13:20 »

Reported for hating TSwift.

Offline Seranite

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 18:14:24 »

I reserve my right for trial by combat.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 18:21:06 »

haters gonna hate.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 18:23:58 »

been using illuminated keyboards since i got a saitek eclipse back in like 2006.  never felt any need to turn them off.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 18:27:27 »

I reserve my right for trial by combat.

Wait, me or TSwift?

LETS DO THIS.

Offline MellowFellow

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 18:52:02 »

been using illuminated keyboards since i got a saitek eclipse back in like 2006.  never felt any need to turn them off.
ooo cool it looks like one of those budget razer keyboards that are relatively cheap. How much did that one cost?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:20:57 »
I second the Keycool RGB suggestion. I use it daily and I don't have any complaints with it. It also has a standard layout so that the keycaps can be replaced down the line.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 03:04:46 »
The Keycool actually looks pretty darn good. Better LED placement and clearer colours than the Corsair and Razer, standard layout and the Kailh switches seem to be decent. I also like that the case design isn't all futuristic space gamer.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 04:55:58 »
Keycool has quite a good rep outside of gamer market, so I'd go with that as well.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 05:41:58 »
The Keycool actually looks pretty darn good. Better LED placement and clearer colours than the Corsair and Razer, standard layout and the Kailh switches seem to be decent. I also like that the case design isn't all futuristic space gamer.

Cheap too. Pay less without compromising on the quality.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 09:36:48 »
I like the Corsair K65 RGB. I'd only get it to mod it though (would spring/stem swap the MX Reds to either Ergo Clears or Greens).

So OOB, I'd vote for the new RGB Ducky. If you're willing to tinker (aka solder a bit), Corsair.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 13:42:32 »
I like the Corsair K65 RGB. I'd only get it to mod it though (would spring/stem swap the MX Reds to either Ergo Clears or Greens).

So OOB, I'd vote for the new RGB Ducky. If you're willing to tinker (aka solder a bit), Corsair.

Non-standard bottom row with 6.5x spacebar. Same problems as the K70 and Razer. Means you have to keep the not-so-great stock keycaps or get the other not-so-great max keyboards set.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 14:37:32 »
Neither, wait for the Ducky Shine 5 RGB.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 15:03:54 »

ooo cool it looks like one of those budget razer keyboards that are relatively cheap. How much did that one cost?

it was $60 or something i'm pretty sure.  i'd never dream of paying that muich for a rubber dome keyboard ever again, but those were the dark ages. haha.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 15:42:48 »
I think most people that know better tend to stay away from Razer products. I do too, from experience. Yes, Razer keyboards have increased functionality with all the extra keys but unless you are a hardcore gamer playing RTS, MMO's, etc. you won't need it and getting a simpler tenkey-less will suffice.

HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline dwk396

• asdf1234
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 20:19:07 »
I am using Razer Chroma Right now,
and I just hate their switch.
The quality is just....not high...

Offline MellowFellow

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 20:43:10 »
O.O then what was the reason for making this purchase when u say... u hate it and... quality not high =.=

Offline dwk396

• asdf1234
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 20:46:44 »
O.O then what was the reason for making this purchase when u say... u hate it and... quality not high =.=

I had the prevision version with MX blue switch. I really liked it but I just wanted Chroma because it looked cool.
But they came out with their own Razer switches which they claim designed just for gamers....and not high quality compare to cherry switches.
I am pretty disappointed with their keyboard.... I wish that they just stayed with MX blue switches..
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 May 2015, 20:48:53 by dwk396 »

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 22:21:34 »

I had the prevision version with MX blue switch. I really liked it but I just wanted Chroma because it looked cool.
But they came out with their own Razer switches which they claim designed just for gamers....and not high quality compare to cherry switches.
I am pretty disappointed with their keyboard.... I wish that they just stayed with MX blue switches..
I have the Chroma as well. I don't like the switches either. Pretty sure Razer hired Kailh to make them.

Offline MellowFellow

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 23:10:58 »

I have the Chroma as well. I don't like the switches either. Pretty sure Razer hired Kailh to make them.
I don't think razer hired kailh. You make it sound like they work under razer, when in reality. Razer just buying cheaper switches off of kailh rather than the more expensive alternative cherry mx. ;)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 23:14:24 »
From what I understand, Razer actually designed the switches and Kailh just produces them.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 23:30:01 »
From what I understand, Razer actually designed the switches and Kailh just produces them.

That's what they would like you to believe.  I bet dollars to donuts that, like almost every OEM deal, Razer provided specs they'd like and Kailh gave them some options from their catalog.  Razer may have imposed tighter tolerances, but the base source was still some items from Kailh's inventory.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 18:07:25 »
I don't think razer hired kailh. You make it sound like they work under razer, when in reality. Razer just buying cheaper switches off of kailh rather than the more expensive alternative cherry mx. ;)
Not to defend Razer in any shape or form, but on the other hand Cherry cannot keep up with the demand, forcing their partners to provide provisions 12 to 18 months in advance. For some companies the situation is becoming ridiculous leaving them with no other choice but to search for alternatives.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2015, 18:11:16 by _PixelNinja »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 23:16:02 »
I also tried a Razer board with the fake, clicky Kailh switches, and I have to agree with the opinions/observations here. The clickiness wasn't consistent throughout the keyboard (some keys were WAY less clicky than others), an obvious sign of lack of QC, so I returned it.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 01 June 2015, 02:54:24 »
btw it's RGB not RBG.
Azerty Propagandiste