Author Topic: Star Trek: Voyager is Actually Good  (Read 3447 times)

Offline Kavik

Star Trek: Voyager is Actually Good
« on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 14:10:36 »
I never cared for Star Trek: Voyager when it was on the air. Neither my brother nor my mother liked it either, and this feeling persisted in me all these years. My fondest memories of it were playing Vectorman 2 or Kid Chameleon during the commercial breaks.

I liked TNG in its day, and also after watching it all the way through recently, but it did feel a bit clunky at times (disjointed, just trying to write the next episode, writer's strike). It definitely had a great cast.

My family liked DS9, and I remembered it fondly too. I remember the excitement of a new Star Trek. I liked it when watching it recently; however, it really seemed to drag on towards the end because the war was just boring. I probably wouldn't want to watch it again.

The wife and I started Voyager last weekend and just finished the first season. So far, it seems like a polished version of TNG, but with less likable characters. The characters aren't bad; they just somehow seem like discount versions of previous Star Trek characters. After having watched DS9, it's nice to see more Twilight Zone-esque stories about aliens and space anomalies rather than war and the neutral zone. My mom hates Janeway and Kes, and my brother hates Neelix, but I don't have a problem with them so far. I'll keep watching and see if I keep enjoying it.

I remember thinking Enterprise was boring at the time as well, but I guess I'll have to give it another shot after Voyager.
TOS has a fond place in my childhood memories, so I'm not sure if watching it as an adult will spoil that.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Star Trek: Voyager is Actually Good
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 14:24:30 »
I was lukewarm to Voyager, but I have been wanting to revisit it. I have a feeling that I might like it better.

My opinion of TNG was always love/hate, it is vastly inferior to TOS. Picard was a great character (but not as good as Kirk) but there was really nobody else on that ship that I ever warmed up to.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 14:50:34 »
The doctor was interesting, and probably the most likable character of the main cast. The setting of a starship lost without any hope for help or assistance as a whole was very good. Neelix and, what was her name? Kess? They were mostly just annoying, and I was very glad when Kess was finally gone (spoiler?). The writing for Janeway’s character was inconsistent beyond believe. In one episode she endangered the ship and its entire crew to tend to the (non-lethal) wound of some nebula-being, the next she kills a member of her crew without mercy (you’ll get to that part). She has her moments when she is well written but the character as a whole is very unlikable and she is probably the most incompetent Captain we had yet.

I don’t like DS9 because it differes too much from the vision of Star Trek for me. I don’t care about war and fighting and long-winded character development and relationships in star Trek. I care about exploration on a Starship called Enterprise (or... Voyager?). For me DS9 is not Star Trek, after all; where is the Trek?

For me nothing beats TNG because Data and I rank the series the following: TNG > ENT (yes) > VOY > TOS > DS9

We don’t talk about Discovery. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 August 2020, 14:59:31 by Olumin »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 15:14:07 »
I'd say Voyager is good.

Janeway, meh....

7 of 9, best character..   Buhhhh arguably, T'pol  or Vash iz h0tter.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 15:39:45 »
7 of 9, best character..   Buhhhh arguably, T'pol  or Vash iz h0tter.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 00:34:16 »
I never cared for Star Trek: Voyager when it was on the air.

TNG had just finished, and DS9 had been on the air for a while, I think people were just tiring of it, but yeah, it's good.

Enterprise is also really good, I just think people were still tired of Star Trek. Unfortunately it was killed before people really got endeared to the characters which is a shame because from almost every perspective I think it was probably the best of them. I'm not disagreeing with Olumin, I too prefer TNG, but I do think ENT was better we just never got as invested due to how short it was.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 10:54:22 »
I loved Kes. I do not like how the character had to change to make her go away. I'm also sad over the actress' fate afterwards.

I indeed thought Enterprise felt like it had a bit tired format and sentiments when it came. I was yearning for something more novel - not more of the same with lower quality. It felt like Jolene Blalock was there just for the sex appeal.
... and I could not stand the theme song.

I didn't get the chance to get into DS9 (was only on a pricier cable channel over here), but I might binge it some day.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2020, 13:27:43 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 10:57:36 »
Tp4 didn't like Enterprise as much mainly because it went backwards in Tech... Not IMPROVING the Scifi specs..  Prequels in general, not a fan.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 11:30:42 »
Voyager was the first star trek I got into. I was like 11 when the last season was on. So because of that it holds a special place in my heart. It has some great episodes.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 13:00:34 »
The animated series... come on that show has to be cancelled

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 20:30:25 »
The animated series... come on that show has to be cancelled
I'm baffled about that show, I have no idea who it's aimed at.
It's a bit too kiddie for adults and too techie/adult for kids.  Looking at some reviews it seems I'm, not alone in this.

I also immediately thought it was a blatant attempt at copying Star Wars Resistance.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Admiral Shark's Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 07:12:49 »
My relative placement for Voyager is:
DS9 > TNG > ENT > TOS > DIS (S2) > VOY > PIC > TAS > > > > > DIS (S1)

Being only around for the late '90s, Voyager was actually the first Star Trek I watched and I have mostly fond memories of it. It's also the earliest thing I remember watching with my mother, so that likely contributes to the fondness. As I grew older and started watching Trek on my own, most of the other series captured more favour with me though. After finishing a rewatch of it a month or so, I still like it to this day, but I believe there were some missed opportunities and it literally became the Janeway, Seven of Nine and Doctor Show for the last few seasons. I think Leslieann is right about franchise fatigue at that point (which Voyager narrowly survived but unfortunately killed Enterprise on its final and best season) didn't help the show at all, although that doesn't bother me personally I overall liked most of the '90s output.

If I had to summarise, my favourite things from the show were:
  • The ship itself
  • The Doctor
  • Species 8472
  • Year of Hell
  • The early episodes that showed any sort of friction between the Starfleet-Maquis crew (the thing they should have fleshed out much more IMO)

However, one thing I will note is that Voyager also had tough competition back then and in my home; another show I grew up watching was Stargate SG-1 and there's no contest between them for me - SG-1 wins, IMHO.