Author Topic: Wot's yer poison?  (Read 13904 times)

Offline Internetlad

Wot's yer poison?
« on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:13:08 »
I felt that the "Scotch" thread wasn't really broad enough, so I'm extending that thread into a full thread where we talk about our favorite alcoholic beverages, whether it be spirits, liqueurs, mixed drinks or straight up, beer or everclear. Post some of your favorites, what brand, if you prefer one, or a drink recipe that you especially love.

I have to say that I think amaretto (especially disaronno) is underappreciated. One of my favorite drinks (works well as a drink or a shot) is one that was coined to me as "the Gladiator)

As a drink simply mix two parts sprite/7up and OJ with one part Southern Comfort and Disaronno, and slightly stir. Same thing for the shot but use a double shotglass or simply drop a shotglass into a cup. Fantastic and goes down so smooth.

I like beers (all sorts, from Bud Light to Becks to Rickard's Red, I'll try any brew.) but i'm not a fan of guiness.  My six o'clock standby has to be Rolling Rock for it's drinkability. I like Gin and Tonic as well, Bombay Sapphire being what I normally pick up.

I'm down for all the normal stuff, vodkas, rums, etc. I generally prefer mixed drinks, but will try most anything.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Wot's yer poison?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:44:18 »
Beer.  All kinds from all over the place.  Not a huge fan of IPAs tho.  They just taste like bitter grass and seldom go as well with food as other beers.  That's just my opinion.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:44:26 »
Procrastination is my main poison. It's a slow creeping, regrettable poison.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:48:13 »
whiskey. preferably bulleit. johnnie blue if i'm feelin' fancy and foolish.
cheap beer. sometimes fancy but not on MY dime. JWaZ turned me onto sour beers recently.

oh also a bunch of pot.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:48:32 »
Nice-ish bourbon (Wild Turkey 101), decent spiced rum (Sailor Jerry 92), and cheap beer (PBR)

Straight bourbon, rum with coke, and beer with more beer
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:48:48 »
Worked in a bar for a good part of a year back in my teens.
I basically went to the local bottle shop weekly and spent about half my pay on random additions to my home collection (at the time it was mostly liqueurs, for mixing purposes) now its more predominantly single malt scotch and vodkas.

Nice that someone else appreciates Disaronno or just amaretto in general. I like it with orange juice and it takes like the smell of shampoo with apple juice.

I drink ciders almost daily now, Bulmers here. Not much on beer, not a huge fan

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:51:58 »
Nice-ish bourbon (Wild Turkey 101), decent spiced rum (Sailor Jerry 92), and cheap beer (PBR)

you sound like you know how to do it efficiently. let me tell you about a little drink we like to call the peruvian bear ****er. combine in a pint glass 1/3 PBR and 1/3 orange juice. pour one shot of spiced rum (preferably capmo but sailor oughtta do it -- do NOT try this with admiral or shellback, and it MUST be spiced). drop the shot into the pint glass and down the drink.

i know it sounds wild but it tastes like an orange julius and it will get you feeling splendid in no time.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:53:42 »
when somebody noted "cheap beer" I remember the few times I had picked up steel reserve "High Gravity Lager" because it's dirt cheap and gets you plowed so fast. Taste isn't terrible either.
Should pick up a 6 pack for nostalgia's sake.

Nice that someone else appreciates Disaronno or just amaretto in general. I like it with orange juice and it takes like the smell of shampoo with apple juice.

You should try what my wife calls a "lunchbox". 2 parts Lager, 1 part disaronno and  3 parts OJ or more or less to taste. The beer brings the sweetness down and adds a little fizz.||

you sound like you know how to do it efficiently. let me tell you about a little drink we like to call the peruvian bear ****er. combine in a pint glass 1/3 PBR and 1/3 orange juice. pour one shot of spiced rum (preferably capmo but sailor oughtta do it -- do NOT try this with admiral or shellback, and it MUST be spiced). drop the shot into the pint glass and down the drink.

i know it sounds wild but it tastes like an orange julius and it will get you feeling splendid in no time.
I gotta remember that. I'd substitute PBR for any other lager, but i'll give it a try. sounds odd but good.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:56:06 by Internetlad »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:55:10 »
when somebody noted "cheap beer" I remember the few times I had picked up steel reserve "High Gravity Lager" because it's dirt cheap and gets you plowed so fast. Taste isn't terrible either.
Should pick up a 6 pack for nostalgia's sake.

You should try what my wife calls a "lunchbox". 2 parts Lager, 1 part disaronno and  3 parts OJ or more or less to taste. The beer brings the sweetness down and adds a little fizz.
the lunchbox! that was the first drink a bartender made me when i turned 21.
if they have it in your parts, there's always king cobra. 6% malt, pretty gnar but for a malt liquor it is not very strong in taste. it WILL give you a terrible hangover.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 17:55:41 »

I'll have to try that some time :D

I've heard of another combo, but haven't tried it yet but will soon:
A drink consisting of 1 shot of Wild Turkey 101 dropped into a half of a glass of Pabst Blue Ribbon. This is often drank by the biggest, hairest man in Wisconson.

I'm medium sized, not hairy, but I live in Wisconsin so close enough!

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:30:46 »
Cognac, Brandy, Single Malt Scotch and Porto
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:39:44 »

I've heard of another combo, but haven't tried it yet but will soon:
A drink consisting of 1 shot of Wild Turkey 101 dropped into a half of a glass of Pabst Blue Ribbon. This is often drank by the biggest, hairest man in Wisconson.

I'm medium sized, not hairy, but I live in Wisconsin so close enough!

Sounds like a less-beered-down boilermaker. Why not just drink your shot and chase it with the beer :P

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:40:34 »
Wild Turkey american honey and Reed's Jamaican ginger ale.
Baller. :p
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline bavman

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:46:25 »
Literally my poison is vodka. If I even have a couple drinks worth of it I end up throwing up ~5 hours later, my body just doesn't like it at all.
While I like scotch its rare for me while I'm in college. I like gin too, even the cheap stuff tastes fine in a gin and tonic, one of my favorite drinks.
And of course beer beer beer!!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 18:50:09 »
Rums for me. I like the aged and brown. El dorado and Cuban rums in general are my favorites.

I also like beer, but I have a hard time with most cheaps ones. I like Stella Artois and Guinnes the most and some local beers like the "Blanche de Chambly", a white beer.

I also like wine, but it cost a lot where I live so I don't drink much of it. Still my 2 favorites are whites wines, the first is the Kim Crawford (New Zealand), and the second is the Gentil Hugel (France).
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:29:14 »
A shot of Jager cures what ails ya.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:37:07 »
Yes, because I am a 15 year old girl/ frat douche

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:40:46 »
I brought back a bottle of Talisker Distiller's Edition last summer from my trip to Scotland and it's SO good. The best type of scotch I ever drank in my life. Highly recommended.

http://www.forpeatsake.com/Talisker/Talisker+Distiller's+Edition/

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:54:39 »
German beer!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 20:57:17 »
Begian Beer > German Beer. All day!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 21:00:40 »
Right now my favorite beer is Scottish like my Scotch: Innis & Gunn. It's amazing!

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 21:44:01 »
I'm alergic to hops, so beer is out.  I'm a pretty serious Vodka drinker.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 22:13:41 »
I'm alergic to hops, so beer is out.  I'm a pretty serious Vodka drinker.

Vodka is best, Cheapest dollar to liters... AND it's fast acting, unlike beer which takes 4+ bottles

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 04 February 2013, 22:26:41 »
Vodka is best, Cheapest dollar to liters...
My friend, let me introduce you to the worst decision you'll ever make: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Age

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 00:32:13 »
Yes, because I am a 15 year old girl/ frat douche

15 year old girls drink jager by the shot? news to me.

the frat thing is probably more jagerbomb than straight jager.

Offline iri

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 03:37:41 »
i drink almost exclusively beer and whiskey with apple juice.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 14:40:59 »

I've never mixed anything with A.J. I think that would taste sickly sweet.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 15:22:24 »
My friend, let me introduce you to the worst decision you'll ever make: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Age

That stuff is miserable. Not as bad as Kentucky Gentleman, though.

My typical drink is a Dark and Stormy, or bourbon on the rocks. I like Woodford Reserve a lot, and am also a fan of Russel's Reserve 6yr. Rye.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline iri

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 07:42:24 »

you may try fresh juice made from green apples.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 12:42:43 »
you may try fresh juice made from green apples.

Granny Smiths eh? That's not a bad idea. Kind of like a whisky sour.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 12:59:56 »
Real Ales, local ones, (British Micro Breweries), have a particular love for IPAs. American beer I have tried and loved are, Blue Moon and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Whiskey wise, single malt ONLY, Glenlivet, morangie or fiddich (18YO = BIG noms). Cannot stand cheap bourbon, even mixed  :'(

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 15:25:31 »
Blue moon is incredible with a heavy dinner. Steak and potatoes with a blue moon and orange slice on the side, great.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 15:30:32 »
Blue moon is incredible with a heavy dinner. Steak and potatoes with a blue moon and orange slice on the side, great.
Never tried it before, but they had a 4-pack in the local supermarket and it was very nice with a few nibbles and an evening listening to good music

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 15:30:45 »

I love mixing Zubrowka vodka with apple juice, delicious. Sweet yea, but I'm able to handle it usually.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 15:37:38 »
I totally drink girly fruity mixed drinks.

But when I feel my beardhairs grow, it's usually some kind of expensive rum.  I don't mind wine or mead at all, I've yet to find a beer I can enjoy more than half a bottle of and I've only been drunk once. 

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 15:39:05 »

But when I feel my beardhairs grow, it's usually some kind of expensive rum.  I don't mind wine or mead at all, I've yet to find a beer I can enjoy more than half a bottle of and I've only been drunk once. 

flirtinis all round!!!

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 15:56:15 »

Nothing wrong with fruity drinks! Especially if they involve rum or tequila.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:00:31 »
I should have 30 bottles of Shiraz on Sunday, ahhh it'll be good times.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:12:06 »
What are some good cocktails to try? I'm going to a friends bar, $20 all you can drink the whole weekend. High end stuff is like $1 more per drink/shot

I really want to try a mojito and an agent orange, what else is good? (I like rum mixed, bourbon straight, vodka is ok but not my favorite)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:12:56 »
$20 all you can drink!? Where is this at again?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:13:47 »
What are some good cocktails to try? I'm going to a friends bar, $20 all you can drink the whole weekend. High end stuff is like $1 more per drink/shot

I really want to try a mojito and an agent orange, what else is good? (I like rum mixed, bourbon straight, vodka is ok but not my favorite)

$20 whole weekend? I'll be right there.....

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:15:06 »
For whisky, I'm in exactly the same boat as Pexon (Glenfiddich and Glenlivet), I find most lagers too gassy, Becks Vier is the only one I really like. As for proper beer, nothing is better than some Theakston Old Peculiar.
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:16:29 »

I should have put that at the end.....

It might be $30, but that's still a steal. I hate bars/their prices. So I'll re-ask what are some good cocktails to try?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:18:47 »

I should have put that at the end.....

It might be $30, but that's still a steal. I hate bars/their prices. So I'll re-ask what are some good cocktails to try?

Well unless you only like rum/straight bourbon/maybe vodka, I can't say much. If you are willing to try other things, one of my favourites is a Tom Collins. Whisky sours are never bad either.

Oh and if you like shots, ask for some fancy layered shots!
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:20:38 by Halverson »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:19:32 »
I sometimes just ask the bartender to make something. If I had all I could drink, I would do that.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:20:43 »
I sometimes just ask the bartender to make something. If I had all I could drink, I would do that.

Sometimes it's the simplest of answers that are the best!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:21:12 »

Until the bartender makes you a rocky mountain bear ****er....

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:23:48 »

That's when you man up. And **** that bear!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:23:56 »

i'm not a fan of mixed drinks but you can't go wrong with an old fashioned

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 16:27:19 »

How I imagine I would react after the shot: