Author Topic: Triple monitor set up  (Read 16301 times)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
Re: Triple monitor set up
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 15:16:05 »
saitek.  zomg.  I'm still reeling from that pic.  We should ban pics of saitek keyboards here, it's just too traumatic.  Especially for sensitive types like me.

I heard good things about Asus 24" monitors, if anybody still cares about the OP.

Especially the ASUS VG248QE for $285 on Amazon.com.  Just my opinion. 

Wait, I just had a saitek flashback.  I need to go lie down.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 15:40:24 »
Just man the **** up and get three projectors, full room immersion.

No bro.. This is very difficult to do..  I tried a while back with 2x 8700ub.

Light pollution..      Throw distance..  Etc..   unless he has LOTS of space and the ability to paint the ceiling black..  It's very difficult to do multi projector.

>three projectors impossible
>TV's as computer monitors perfectly fine
>tp4 logic

Dude..  it's really easy to setup tvs.. you just have to handle the Table, and the TV..

3 projectors.. You have to handle the Ceiling, the Walls, the Carpet,  AND when it all comes together..  Light pollution is STILL a huge problem especially if the projected image angle into one another...

No such problems with TVs..

Tv as monitors, you juggle things IN the room..

Projectors as monitors, you juggle things IN the room, the Room itself, AND the fact that if you wear a white shirt, you ARE light pollution..

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 15:42:01 »
saitek.  zomg.  I'm still reeling from that pic.  We should ban pics of saitek keyboards here, it's just too traumatic.  Especially for sensitive types like me.

I heard good things about Asus 24" monitors, if anybody still cares about the OP.

I have one, great for the money!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 15:58:04 »

I have one, great for the money!

i never owned a saitek-anything...  I remember when they came out with the eclipse-II back in the day.. and I really wanted 1.. 

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 16:21:56 »
I would go for one of the new curved ultra wide. You get the same effect, with one display so no bezel shift for a similar price.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 16:43:25 »
I would go for one of the new curved ultra wide. You get the same effect, with one display so no bezel shift for a similar price.

don't get Anything that doesn't have ULMB..

Offline SuperBobKing

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 17:45:44 »
I am using 3 24 inch monitors on a 760. A 970 is fine, but you probably won't be able to max new stuff out. If you are sitting less than two feet away pixel density will become an issue. I sit at right about 2 feet away and if I put on my glasses I can see the pixels pretty easily (they are 1080p). Also, they are really wide. If I had thought about how wide they would end up being I would have gotten 22 inch ones instead. Even with them tilted about 30 degrees inward I have to have my desk in a weird position so that there is space, although I am in a dorm. I would very strongly recommend you try to find 16:10 or more square monitors. They work better for triple screen setups but you have fewer options available. If you don't already have it I would recommend Assetto Corsa for a triple screen setup. Its support is phenomenal. You can input the size of your monitors, how far away you are, how big the screen is, how big the bezels are and the angle they are tilted and it will automatically adjust everything so that it looks right. I have the race games as well but I haven't played them yet to see how well they support it. In games that don't account for monitors being tilted inward (aka every one I have played except Assetto Corsa) perspective stretching becomes a major issue.

Offline Jotokun

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 19:39:21 »
a little late, but this is the setup I had in my lab that was awesome for everything

Show Image

a bit pricey and outdated monitors in the pic, but still works

Will that work for gaming though? seems like a weird resolution.

It worked for fps, rts, and basic racing games, haha.  I used it mostly for work and editing.

oh and skyrim/other rpg type games
Show Image

I have a similar, more budget version of that setup with a 27" Korean IPS flanked by two portrait 17" monitors. The sides are natively 1024x1280, but scaled by Nvidia's driver to 1152x1440 to match the center's 2560x1440. In my experience, how well it works depends on the game. Eyefinity/Surround won't work due to the orientation mismatch, but for older stuff using DX8 or DX9 you can just throw SoftTH at it for the same effect in games. Skyrim in particular is amazing on this type of setup.

Anything newer, or OpenGL, and it becomes a bit of a hassle. When it does work, you won't have bezel correction because you'll have to run the game windowed. If you're lucky, you can run it windowed and at the right resolution with merely an argument tacked onto whatever script or program is launching the game. Then you use ShiftWindow to automate moving it to hide the window border. If you're unlucky, you'll have to dive through a bunch of config files for the game and give it trial and error. If you're really unlucky, the game will have its resolutions hardcoded or only accept valid fullscreen resolutions reported by the GPU in which case you're stuck with your center screen.

This sort of setup is amazing for work. And when it does work in games, it's great. If SoftTH ever does get updated to support DX10/11 or Eyefinity/Surround start supporting it, I would be able to recommend it. At the moment, though, I can't unless you don't mind only gaming on the center for newer stuff.

Somewhat outdated pic (the Model F has been ANSI-modded since)
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 January 2015, 19:58:44 by Jotokun »
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 21:08:19 »
eyefinity should work as long as vertical resolution of center matches the horizontal resolution set on the flanking monitors.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 11:00:08 »
But why go through all that grief with hacky 3rd party software, bezel correction and all that when you can just have one and it should behave correctly in more cases?

I do suppose older titles may still require some manual config to override the resolution since they would predate 21:9 but still... and I think the gpu won't have to work as hard driving one panel instead of 3 while still effectively getting the same result. Multi display just doesn't make any sense to me now that these things are available. But, then again I've never really cared for multi display set ups. Always rather had one larger display with higher resolutions.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 09:05:12 »
Acer XB270HU

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 09:13:42 »
I use 24" 1920x1600 panels. It's really a great resolution for a monitor. There's a sweet spot with 3 monitors. I have a 3x2 +2 config which works nice. I personally prefer to have separate screens because I find it easier to run multiple applications which I can easily switch between displays. But then again I'm not really using these for gaming. Regarding monitor arms, if the default stands don't cut it and you don't want to go the Monoprice route, I really prefer the Ergotron Lx arms over Humanscale's offering. They're easy to setup and it's awesome being able to move your monitor around so freely.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 09:15:37 by Wildcard »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 12:25:40 »
Gigabyte GTX 970 on sale for the next 48 hours on newegg.com.  $329.99 after sale and mail-in rebate.  Not bad.  I have the gigabyte GTX 780 right now, and it's great.  Also, I've been a gigabyte mobo buyer for years.  I switched to Asus for my last build, and I wish I had stuck with gigabyte.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=IGNEFL011315&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL011315&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL011315-_-EMC-011315-Index-_-DesktopGraphicsCards-_-14125685-S0D
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 12:27:12 by eth0s »
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 02:23:33 »
So I've been thinking more about 3 monitors and if it's really worth it and would provide an immersion level I want when I don't have the space or interest in a cockpit set up and decided it wasn't worth the time over waiting for the oculus rift to hit its consumer version hopefully middle of this year.  There's already good support in the three games I want to race in, so hopefully with a better screen set up in the OR, that will be the long term goal.

But then there's this: http://rog.asus.com/393632015/gaming-monitors/ces-2015-mg279q-27-inch-wqhd-ips-at-120hz/

And it just intrigues me as an upgrade to go with the new video card I want to use as my daily driver monitor.  IPS, high rez, low refresh rate, and what seems to be a good price for all of that at $599.  I'd been looking at getting a RoG swift now that they're slowly getting in stock in the US, but I may wait a little longer for this to come out instead.  It doesn't mention supporting ulmb like the swift, though, so there's that going against it.

Anyways, ramble done.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 02:39:37 »
Yea... IPS needs a stronger backlight I think.... so maybe a backlight powerful enough to deliver ULMB would be too expensive

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:59:40 »
As another curve, what is the general opinion on 4k gaming and the monoprice 4k monitor?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:34:22 »
I wouldn't get the monoprice 4k..  it's really not up to snuff as a pro monitor..   and it's too expensive for what it does..

That aside,  4k in general is like buying a row boat in the desert...  it technically works.. but it's a horrible experience, and you're better off getting good ol' camel..

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 21:18:15 »
On the 4k, I would wait a bit as well.  Graphics horsepower requirements are very high for it and refresh rates are abysmal for affordable monitors, last I checked anyway.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline viskin

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 14:52:34 »
I am using 1 GTX 680 to power 3 23 inch Asus monitors. 2 DVI and 1 HDMI. Love it. Never want to go back.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 01:42:25 »
Wait on 4k. Definitely; Go 3x1440 or 1080. Dell makes AMAZING monitors in IPS but you could get korean knockoffs in 144hz for about the same price. My word is nearly law.