Author Topic: Help me spend $500ish!! another monitor thread  (Read 6940 times)

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
Help me spend $500ish!! another monitor thread
« on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 14:57:43 »
OK I've gone back and forth and spent the better part of the day trying to figure out what to do.
I want to swap one of my monitors out for a bigger and higher resolution monitor. I've read through a few threads here and elsewhere, and I apologize for beating this dead horse even more but I'm at a stalemate in my head.

Budget
400-500 range, I can be flexible and do open box stuff from Amazon Warehouse deals.
I don't have to upgrade, but I'm going to replace my desktop (getting rid of the glass) and re-do my home set up (see link in sig) , so I'd like to upgrade one screen while I have it torn down. 

PC Specs
Nvida GeForce GTX 680 (4GB)
32GB Ram system
Intel Core i7-3820
32 GB DDR3 2133MHz
Nothing overclocked or fancy cooling

Use
--Standard stuff, net, homework, playing with virtual machines, mostly Windows environment stuff.
--Once I finish these collage classes I'd like to start learning to code.
--I do game, I used to be heavy into EQ which is why I have the matching monitors I have so I could play two accounts. That game is a huge resource pig which is why the machine is spec'ed as is.
--Now I play some Borderlands 2 with the wife, will be buying the pre-sequel and starting that soon, this is why I want to upgrade in size.
--I'll probably still play some older games that are 1080p, how will these run on this new monitor since they are not its native resolution?

These are the monitors I use now at about a 30" viewing distance.
Two Asus VE248Q 24
Matt finish
1080P
60Hz
LED Backlight
TFT Panel

Maybe it’s the games I've played, or maybe I'm just not sharp enough to notice, but these aren't high end monitor and I've been pretty happy with them. So maybe it's not worth it or my dumb brain wouldn’t notice going with higher end panels and monitors? Honestly I just want a bump in size and resolution, but how much is where I get stuck, and it would be nice to keep the monitor for a few years.

They are mounted on HumanScale M8 Monitor arm with crossbar, so it's limited 20lb per monitor, and monitors must be VESA mountable.  Now if I go with a 27 I think I can keep the second screen in landscape mode, but I may have to turn it to portrait mode if I go bigger. I'm not a huge fan of portrait mode but I can live with it. 

So in my research it looks like I can go with the following options at this price point.  And I'd love to jump on the G-Sync, but all the models that are above 1080p are out of my price point.

-27" 2560x1440 LED backlit IPS from a legitimate manufacture and seller
-30" 2560X1600 CCFL backlit  IPS that’s from various questionable manufactures and sometimes sellers
-28" 3840 x 2160 LED Backlit TN panel from legitimate manufacture and seller

So my three rough choices

Asus PB278Q - $450
Release date September 11, 2012
27"
1440p
LED Backlit
Weirdly listed refresh rate at  50 ~ 75 Hz(V)
IPS Panel

Asus PB287Q - Approx $550
Release date June 10, 2014
(this could be substituted for Samsung U28D590D, Dell P2815Q, any of the 4k 28", they all seem to be very similar)
28"
2160p
LED Backlit
60Hz refresh
TN Panel

Nixeus Vue NX-VUE30 - $500
Release date April 22, 2013
30"
1600p
CCFL
60Hz
IPS Panel

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:42:21 by Psybin »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: Help me spend $500ish!! a dummies monitor thread
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:12:04 »
Just to be clear, a monitor is not an "input device"  :p

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:13:11 »
oh meh, clicked on the wrong subforum. I meant to put it in "other geeky stuff"

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:23:09 »
The irony is that monitors are output devices... lol

No harm, I'm sure a mod will move this soon enough...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:24:13 »
I sent Hoffman a PM to move it. In the mean time what do you guys think?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:35:15 »
The amount of N00b-stuffs in this photo is overwhelming...    Really takes me back to my HS days..

I think you need a puter-platform upgrade first and foremost.. z97 + 4790k @ 4.8ghz

There's really nothing good for $500,  let me explain why..

It's short of anything awesome

It's over for anything m0re-n00b...

And because you're already fully stocked up on N00b

Can you extend to $800-900  to get the Asus-Swift?

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:39:20 »
That tower is from early 2013. I don't really have a reason to upgrade now.

Why am I so n00b great one? I know its not the dopest set up but I'm pretty content with it, other than wanting to change a screen out. But thanks for the dig.

And I did look at the swift, it would be hard to spend the extra $400 right now.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:40:37 »
That tower is from early 2013. I don't really have a reason to upgrade now.

Why am I so n00b great one? I know its not the dopest set up but I'm pretty content with it, other than wanting to change a screen out. But thanks for the dig.

And I did look at the swift, it would be hard to spend the extra $400 right now.

Ok, buhh.. there's  Ramen Financing remember?

Go to costco..  buy Ramen...  then purchase the Monitor against the reduced food bill for the next 2 months..

easily $400

You guys think I'm joking.. I"M NOT..

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:42:24 »
I really try not to finance anything other than my car and house, and the car is getting paid this year.

I don't think the wife would dig eating so poorly either.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:44:53 »
I really try not to finance anything other than my car and house, and the car is getting paid this year.

Not ur wife.. Just you...

Most people spend way too much money on Little things that nickle and dime them AWAY from the Gear they REALLY WANT..

Food is a HUGE part of that..  one chocolate bar here,  a bottle of booze there,  some bags of chips.. Some starbux on mondays and fridays

You're looking at a HUGE overhead for YOUR_WHIM_ON FOOD..

Also I call it ramen financing,  but there's technically no interest rate, since it'd be assumed that You change ur food-habits solidly for that-long..

So, if you make the purchase at the BEGINNING of the cycle, you technically lose any potential you have on the $800, but for any of us that has to save $800 to begin with, there was probably not much potential in it

So, if you're Really worried about screwing up,  Ramen-Financing..  then Obviously just wait till the END of the cycle..

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:45:53 »

There are flaws to tp's methods...

And by that I mean they only work for him...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:48:04 »
True, but she pays for the food and I eat pretty cheap. Can of tuna on rice for lunch with some salade on the side is a regular.

The Swift is just so much more expensive. I'm open to suggestions and I'm in no rush, probably wont pull the trigger for another week or two.

I would spend a bit more, but I'm saving for a set of Ohlin coilovers to put on the Evo this spring, so everything else goes into ultra cheap mode.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 15:51:05 »

There are flaws to tp's methods...

And by that I mean they only work for him...

They work for everyone..

You're just not a believer of Top-Ramen..

It's all a matter of Ramen-WILL..

Offline Battou62

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 10:58:39 »
With your budget, you could buy two of these Achieva Shimian. I have one of these myself and it's a pretty good display. The stand that comes with it is crap, but you already have some monitor arms which you can probably still use with these so maybe no big deal.
Otherwise... getting a brand new one from Achieva, Catleap, Yamasaki, Crossover, Qnix or one of several other Korean minor brands would be my suggestion. They are just as good quality as anything else in most cases but are considerably cheaper. The only other thing I would suggest is to make sure to get a model with a display port, as I think it will be much better for longevity than one which has DVI only.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:39:23 »
Thanks, that is good advice, I’ve seen them listed with display port and with just the DVI-D.
Do you think I should do the 1440p or the 1600p versions?
And it looks like a lot of the big Korean ones are CCFL backlit as opposed to LED, except the one in your link, but I don’t know if that would make a big difference to me or not.
And playing games on them at the non-native resolution is also a big question.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 13:03:57 »
The one I have has no scalar board so it's resolution range is limited. Old games with only low resolution options can be a problem. Once it drops below certain resolution the screen just goes blank. I think it's lower limit is 720p. Everything has to be done 100% by the gpu, it has no OSD even.
As far as I know, just the DVI only models can have that issue, model with AD scalar board which is required for other input types like dsub, dp, hdmi and generally has at least some limited osd.
If you don't care about the thickness, ccfl is still a bit better for color in most cases. LED types often use cheaper single color LED and will have some sort of hue shift from the LED temperature. Mine I think has 9500K so it's not too bad with a little more in the blue side. The only other con with ccfl is they tend to degrade a bit faster and loose brightness over time. Though, some of them are so stupidly bright you can't stand to look at it with more than 50% brightness on so you have a lot of room as it starts to go crank it up.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:54:13 »
Nice, thanks a lot for the insight.
Will settling for the lower refresh rate matter, am I really missing out by not going with the Swift or similar screens with the 144hz? Is that such a big deal to fetch X2 the price?
I've never had anything over 60 and I don't have one I could test out, not even sure if it would be too much for my video card.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:03:37 by Psybin »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:12:49 »
There are some of these 'off brand' 1440p screens that can do 120hz. Some are with overdrive OC which is no guarantee with... like with mine I can only push it up to 70hz... others are able to do it as one of it's features. You can get some of the maybe models for around $360. The ones that will for certain are just above $500 but under $600. I've seen a few that have aftermarket g-sync replacement boards too... but all in you start getting close on price to models that already have it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:15:13 »
There are some of these 'off brand' 1440p screens that can do 120hz. Some are with overdrive OC which is no guarantee with... like with mine I can only push it up to 70hz... others are able to do it as one of it's features. You can get some of the maybe models for around $360. The ones that will for certain are just above $500 but under $600. I've seen a few that have aftermarket g-sync replacement boards too... but all in you start getting close on price to models that already have it.

You don't want those off brand monitors that do 120hz..

Because they're either not speced to do so, OR they're tuned poorly..

Problems arise often such as severe gamma shift,  artifacts,  and worst of all pixel ghosting..

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:17:45 »
Well I'm getting more back on taxes than I had figured so my budget will be more. I would just hate to spend the $800 on the Swift just to regret not going with a higher resolution later down the road when I upgrade my tower.

I'm also shopping for a 60 x 30 butcherblock desktop with Durakryl, which are about $200ish, but if I change mine the wife will want hers to match, so there is $400 plus.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:42:11 »
Well I'm getting more back on taxes than I had figured so my budget will be more. I would just hate to spend the $800 on the Swift just to regret not going with a higher resolution later down the road when I upgrade my tower.

I'm also shopping for a 60 x 30 butcherblock desktop with Durakryl, which are about $200ish, but if I change mine the wife will want hers to match, so there is $400 plus.

um... 4k is looming yes, if that's an issue..  then the solution is the same.. Wait until you have $1400-2000..  and buy a 4k samsung ~50-60 inch  after they actually release some 4k Blurays..

The issue here is.. those 4k tvs or monitors will STILL NOT have ULMB..

TO me.. ULMB is far more important than resolution..  because the resolution itself is USELESS, those vibrant colors are USELESS if they're conferred to me as a BLUR when something moves quickly..

I can't stress enough just how big a change ULMB is.. 

Imagine you're wearing glasses.. watching a super high res monitor..

But every time the image is about to move.. you're forced to remove your glasses,  UNTIL the image stops moving..

THAT is what ALLL lcds/plasma/projectors  are like without ULMB..

ULMB is like wearing your glasses during the ENTIRE movie..  whether the image is moving or still,  it's completely clear..

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:44:31 »
Yea, you've really got me thinking about the Swift with the G-Sync (ULMB). I don't know how badly my GTX680 will do, its the 4GB model.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:55:00 »
Yea, you've really got me thinking about the Swift with the G-Sync (ULMB). I don't know how badly my GTX680 will do, its the 4GB model.

Gsync's pointless. .dont' worry bout that..

ULMB is the Biggest thing to have hit the scene..

As for Framerates and graphics cards, that's really a separate discussion from buying monitors.. because the MONITOR will be significantly MORE CLEAR with ulmb REGARDLESS of frame-rate..

but if your question is what will it take to DRIVE a consistent 120 FPS with ULMB @ 2560x1440.. hahahaha.. you're looking at Gtx980 SLI for -starters-

but that is going to be game dependent.. the most popular games will easily reach 120fps + on normal graphics setups..

like Dota 2, CS Go, starcraft 2, sudden attack, league ol..

Certain Blockbuster games will not reach 120fps, but that's mostly because the developers are asshats who don't give a **** because their studio is the only one large enough to release triple A titles to begin with. So, their attitude is, **** it, they'll take what we give um'..

You can still run most of these games using ULMB, just use a tool to cap the frame rate to exactly 60..   Certain cases, where game engine forces output at 62fps are the only problems..  These are quite rare though.

If anything though, one should take an active role and NOT purchase the Triple A unoptimized crapp.. You can always still Sample the stuff on .. Arrrgh-matey web..

Offline hking0036

Re: Help me spend $500ish!! another monitor thread
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 21:40:25 »
I use the ASUS VG248QE. It's only 24" 1920x1080 with a TN panel but the biggest advantage to it is that it's 144hz. If'n you're looking to play some video games it's like night and day. I'd recommend it to anyone, but you have to work on the colors in the settings when you first take it out of the box because they don't set it up right when they ship them out. Also, they were able to be modded with a GSYNC panel but I dunno what happened to those whether they're phasing them out to sell gsync monitors or not but last I saw they were backordered to hell.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 21:48:58 »
The amount of N00b-stuffs in this photo is overwhelming...    Really takes me back to my HS days..
Show Image

I think you need a puter-platform upgrade first and foremost.. z97 + 4790k @ 4.8ghz

Christ you're an arrogant ass.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline hking0036

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 21:52:08 »
Show Image

Christ you're an arrogant ass.
Kind of a smug prick isn't he
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 23:54:08 »
I apologize for nothing. I've only posted pertinent information on the subject.  It is you who have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to relative wealth, and thus hear everyone's voice in a condescending tone.

And because of how maganimius I am. I've revealed your character flaws so you can improve.

Again, ur welcome. 

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:03:44 »
I apologize for nothing. I've only posted pertinent information on the subject.  It is you who have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to relative wealth, and thus hear everyone's voice in a condescending tone.

And because of how maganimius I am. I've revealed your character flaws so you can improve.

Again, ur welcome. 

This has exactly **** all to do with relative wealth. It's because even when you are giving useful advice you can't help but lace it with your holier than thou attitude.

TL;DR - You're an *******.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:10:54 »

Again, ur welcome. 

This has exactly **** all to do with relative wealth. It's because even when you are giving useful advice you can't help but lace it with your holier than thou attitude.

Whether I am holier than thou is not in question. The fact is, I am.

But if you find what I wrote to be condescending that's seriously on you.  None of the terms I put in that post you've quoted is derogatory.  If anything perhaps you don't understand the term Noob.   In this case it is the shortest term to describe what everyone buys when they first get into electronics.  Namely cheap Asus !monitors and av40 speakers, and iPod docks

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:12:42 »

Again, ur welcome. 

But if you find what I wrote to be condescending that's seriously on you.  None of the terms I put in that post you've quoted is derogatory.  If anything perhaps you don't understand the term Noon.   In this case it is the shortest term to describe what everyone buys when they first get into electronics.  Namely cheap Asus !monitors and av40 speakers, and iPod docks

TP4: *insert psuedo-intellectual bull**** here*
GH: *yawn*

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:17:16 »

Again, ur welcome. 

But if you find what I wrote to be condescending that's seriously on you.  None of the terms I put in that post you've quoted is derogatory.  If anything perhaps you don't understand the term Noon.   In this case it is the shortest term to describe what everyone buys when they first get into electronics.  Namely cheap Asus !monitors and av40 speakers, and iPod docks

-Bueller- loses argument , defaults to -I don't care- lalalalalala

If you want to be 5, so be it.

The Holy and noble Tp4 forgives ur offense. Because he's just so much better than you. And he can't stop telling you about it

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:20:54 »

Again, ur welcome. 

The Holy and noble Tp4 forgives ur offense. Because he's just so much better than you. And he can't stop telling you about it

Yeah, I totally 'lost' that argument.

*slow clap*

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:25:08 »

Again, ur welcome. 

*slow clap*

That you did. Exactly how am I at all haughty or snob when my entire shopping premise is based on top-ramen financing.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:50:29 »

Again, ur welcome. 

*slow clap*

That you did. Exactly how am I at all haughty or snob when my entire shopping premise is based on top-ramen financing.

Alright let's have a play by play and break this down.

Psybin asks for advice on monitors.

The amount of N00b-stuffs in this photo is overwhelming... 

First line of your reply you take a **** on his rig. While you might not think this is offensive a lot of people sacrifice a lot and work really hard to get their setups. Just because it's not the latest i7 or is you think it's for 'n00bs' doesn't mean they can't be happy with it.

Recommending he upgrading his computer, why exactly? Then you go on to say that there are no good monitors for $500 without actually explaining why, you just post more of your usual gibberish. There are a ton of good options for Psybin in this price range but again because they don't pass your stupidly high standards that means they're all **** right?

Can't leave without taking another dig, how was this relevant to the OP? The whole post just reeks of arrogance, I honestly feel sorry for you if you believe your own hype.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 01:09:27 »
Sure.. Lets do a play by play..

I called his whole setup n00b.. and it is, because EVERYONE including myself, which I mentioned... In highschool.. I essentially had the exact same gizmos on my desk as he does.... at a time when I was n00b...

N()()B is NOT a condescending TERM.. it is a proper descriptor for Entry Level knowledge..

I had the pseudo audiophiles speakers, I had the 2x budget $300 panels at the time, and I listened to lossy mp3s on them ipods, that everyone in school raged about..

I said, No good monitor for $500.. and I explain roughly why.. because this is not a good place to buy into monitors today, if he were in the market..

I later clarified more precisely what I meant in follow up posts..

And as to the line..  Since you're already stocked up on N00b..

That's precisely what I'm trying to say.. If he buys a $500 monitor, there really isn't much improvement that $200 would bring to what he already owns..

So you see.. -Bueller-  You took my post out of context, to satiate your own masochistic demeanor of romantically living in a world full of people looking down on you..

For what I can only assume is to balance your own insecurities as to WHY you're not the richest man with all the monies and sexy ladies...

Let me enlighten you..  Your antagonizing world view is why..

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 01:14:01 »
For what I can only assume is to balance your own insecurities as to WHY you're not the richest man with all the monies and sexy ladies...

Ahhhh that's funny kiddo. I do quite well for myself actually, I just don't feel the need to hold it over people's heads like I'm somehow some super-human superior being.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 01:20:57 »

Ahhhh that's funny kiddo. I do quite well for myself actually, I just don't feel the need to hold it over people's heads like I'm somehow some super-human superior being.

I'm not a kiddo -Bueller-, I am an old man, one foot in the grave, if cowardice hadn't been the human condition, I'd have most likely offed myself..

I do not hold myself over anyone.. just because you see it that way from misinterpreting ONE of my posts, does not make it so..

If you've missed my sarcastic nature when i say certain things tongue in cheek. it is again a problem on your end of pipe..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 01:52:03 »
For future reference...- Bueller -

Please read this wikipedia Article on the word  --N00b--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie

---" Contemporary use can particularly refer to a beginner or new user of computers, often concerning Internet activity, such as online gaming[1] or Linux use.[2][3] It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment. " ---

The fact is you chose to perceive it that way !!

If anything you owe me an apology..

But i'll let it slide, since you're young and stupid..

----Stupid... ---It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment.---

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 02:06:28 »
If I were in your shoes and with my experience I would say the Asus PB278Q's would be the better choice.

I have used 4k and I do love it for viewing pleasure but when watching videos or gaming the content isn't quite there yet. I've used 1440p monitors before and the resolution jump from 1080 to 1440 is plenty. You still get breathtaking imagery and it won't tax your GPU when you game. Plus the IPS panel will give you better color and viewing angles.

I have kind of an odd configuration right now:

Middle monitor: Asus VG248QE (LOVE me that 144hz)
Left monitor: dell e248wfp (I love and miss the 1920x1200 resolution)
Right monitor: Samsung UD590 (Best TN panel EVA!!!)

I do have to add that if you are playing with a lot of VM's at once the 4k monitor will give you unbeatable desktop real estate. You could have x4 VM's up and running on a single screen. When I was using my 4k as a single monitor I didn't feel like I was missing my extra monitors nearly as much when I was using my 1080p or 1200p monitors.

I hope this helped but feel free to PM me with any questions on 4k. I've been doing a LOT of research on monitors recently and I'm happy to share in what I've found so far.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 02:10:31 »
There's some inaccuracies here..

High resolution does not automatically mean more desktop Real-Estate..

The reason is..   @ 4k.. You have to be REALLY close to the monitor if you're going to stick with the 96dpi..   and if you change the dpi, it breaks many many apps UIs..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 02:42:20 »
TP4 Did you just say you were an old man, but also had Ipods at school? Or are you an old man talking to school kids?  :-\

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 02:47:24 »
TP4 Did you just say you were an old man, but also had Ipods at school? Or are you an old man talking to school kids?  :-\

Old Man refers to an assessment of my perspective..  But physically.. I am not old..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 02:49:43 »

Old Man refers to an assessment of my perspective..  But physically.. I am not old..

Show Image

Thanks for the clarification  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 02:52:45 »

Show Image

Thanks for the clarification  :thumb:

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:13:06 »
Actually I don’t listen to the iPod on the dock. It's my first iPod from 2002. I bought it when I was deployed. It's long since dead, even after the second battery swap. The dock my dad gave me for xmas present around the same time. It's just there for looks, when I re-do my desk it'll go on a shelf.

I had the two matching Asus monitors because I used to be very much into Everquest. Actually retired highest stat druid on Povar, class leader in FireStormers farming end game content. It was fun but way too much time. I played multiple accounts and needed two matching screens. And anything much over 24 didn’t look good. The smaller screen made the GUI look sharper.  But yea, hella n00b, I don’t deny that.
The speakers, meh, I wanted speakers and didn’t do a lot of research into them. I don’t crank them up, they are just a desktop set to me. I'm not an audiophile. After 10 years of Aircraft maintenance and ever-present ringing, I'm not too picky.
I thought his post was pretty rude, but it’s a thread where I was asking for advice, so I responded in such a way that it wouldn’t become an internet fight. I've found when people respond that rude, in real life or online, it's best to just move on and not really acknowledge it. There is plenty of negative BS out there; I'm not feeding into any I don’t have to.  And he did respond and give some advice, so it wasn’t just a troll attempt, I think, don’t really know or care. 

I mulled over going with the Swift quite a bit, and I don’t think paying the high entry fee for that tech is worth it right now (to me, personally). Give it another year or two and it'll cheaper like anything else. Plus there are a ton of reviews on amazon (I read all of them) about quality control issues.  I don’t want to deal with a PITA RMA process.

I ended up going with what Blur Busters recommended for a Korean IPS panel that’s overclockable.  Thanks to tp4tissues post I found that site, and it really filled in any questions I had. I'll probably rebuild my system, or at least update it next year with the tax refund and jump on a 144hz for a main screen and put the IPS panel as my second screen.  The QNIX will come in next week, after watching a handful of youtube reviews and reading through the giant thread on the overclock forums, I'm cool with my $300 choice. Although I was really close to getting what Ivan recommended and saving $100.

Plus, gotta keep saving for those Ohlins for the Evolution X this spring!!

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 16:17:45 »
Show Image

The Swift is great ....wait... it's absolutely amazing for gaming.

However;

Complete kaka PooPoo for everything else. It is a TN panel....yah a TN bloody panel. Please don't over hype a TN panel.

Listen; please wait till the 3rd and 4th quarters of 2015. There are some amazing products coming out that will change the gaming and monitor world. ISP panels will now come with 144hz and 1ms Response time. The prices will be about $500 for a 24 inch or 700 for the 27. some of them will even come in 4k. Yah so the swift is gonna die so very quickly.

I got a lot of Canada Computers giftcard $$$ so I'm waiting. My Benq 2ms 60hrz monitor will server me well until then.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)