Author Topic: (solved) looking for a plate mounted mx board with similar profile  (Read 4490 times)

Offline trentva

hey, i'm trying to find a low rise / slim profile mechanical keyboard with the least amount of chassis incline something like this would be ideal.... the keyboard below is the Logitech k810 keyboard...thanks! i hope there is a solution other then a custom made board, if not then can someone make something like this and if so please contact me. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2014, 09:43:42 by trentva »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: looking for a plate mounted mx board with similar profile
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:48:31 »
hey, i'm trying to find a low rise / slim profile mechanical keyboard with the least amount of chassis incline something like this would be ideal....

slim profile?  no such thing..  the thinnest mech you can put together would be something like all DSA caps on something like the poker

OR if you buy a pcb and just type on that...

so if you took the guts out of the keyboard... it will also look thinner.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:50:12 »
hey, i'm trying to find a low rise / slim profile mechanical keyboard with the least amount of chassis incline something like this would be ideal....

slim profile?  no such thing..

yes there are. OP take a look t some of the GON cases and also the recent TEX poker case was fairly slim. The incline could be adjusted with varying the thickness of bumpons/feet.

but yeah like TP said..DSA on a poker in a tex case.

if you want scissor switch thin then yeah thats probably not happening, unless you go with ML switches.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:51:17 »

yes there are. OP take a look t some of the GON cases and also the recent TEX poker case was fairly slim. The incline could be adjusted with varying the thickness of bumpons/feet.

"thin, but not THAT thin"

Offline trentva

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:51:56 »
yeah http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/custom-kbds-w-assembly/10-gon-ns-38-w-tuningassembly.html looks perfect, i ran accross it before i made the thread. i was hoping there was a cheaper alternative.

Offline trentva

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:52:26 »
is that my only option?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:54:40 »
yeah http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/custom-kbds-w-assembly/10-gon-ns-38-w-tuningassembly.html looks perfect, i ran accross it before i made the thread. i was hoping there was a cheaper alternative.

There's a GON for sale in the classifieds right now http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52824.0

Of course it all depends on what options you want.

is that my only option?

well again you could go the poker route with a tex case.

the original thread has some photos

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47376.0

you can buy them from here http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=44
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 January 2014, 11:59:20 by SpAmRaY »

Offline trentva

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:01:39 »
yeah the poker with the tex case looks perfect...where can i get one of those cases?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:02:52 »
yeah the poker with the tex case looks perfect...where can i get one of those cases?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=44

Offline trentva

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:03:06 »
oops..missed the link, thanks!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 13:06:07 »
Poker II actually looks quite nice even without a case: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35152.msg943505#msg943505

You can get an idea of the thicknesses from those pics. DSA or even Cherry profile would be quite slim. Lots of cases in that thread.

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 09:56:42 »
Cherry MX Board 3.0 is pretty close to what you asked for:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=655

However I don't know too many people here who actually owns it so I don't know how those keycaps feels.

You should try it out and write us a review.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline piglickjf

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 13:23:01 »
I was also looking for an as slim-as-possible mechanical. I ended up ordering a Keycool 108 (I wanted full size) which, according to someone I found who has one and was willing to measure for me, is ~1.5 inches tall at it's highest point. That k810 you show is listed (on Amazon) as 1.3 inches, so not much slimmer.

The Maxkeyboards Nighthawks are also pretty slim. I think the specs on their website say they have a 1" height, but I'm not sure I completely believe that, i think that may be the case only, with the keys sticking up another 1/2 inch or so above.

Offline trentva

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 22:04:50 »
thanks man, the keycools look pretty thin. i dont know about that max keyboard you're probably right about the height. i'll probably end up going with the poker 2 and tex 60% aluminum case with dsa caps seems to be the slimmest profile possible without totally removing the case at the moment. i would like some measurement though maybe someone with this setup can shed some light.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 22:33:56 »
You can get pretty LP with cherry MX. Here's my Pure, for example.

Otherwise, a KB like a cherry G84 or topre short throw would be pretty low profile.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 05:36:00 »

yes there

if you want scissor switch thin then yeah thats probably not happening, unless you go with ML switches.

I wish people would stop calling it the tex poker case. It is a laffindude GH60 case. Because it is aluminum, I could not get it that low. and another mm was added during production. Zero degree angle is the primary thing I wanted. 3mm deep ribs are made fir stuffing the case with PCB support. anyhow I am gonna design something even thinner. 60% of course. We'll see....

Offline Coreda

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 05:49:34 »
That's... pretty low for a mechanical keyboard. I'm no expert but from the boards I've seen photos of the keys themselves would be higher I would think.

justin.wu's aluminium 60% case looks nice, and it's completely flat. Might be worth considering. Still higher than the board in the OP, though...

Offline trentva

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 06:49:59 »
yeah i really like the profile of the board in those pictures, was planning on adding some o-rings and dsa caps aswell..seems to be the best option other then removing the case completely...the low profile case and non stepped caps will be awesome i hope...else ill be selling here at geekhack :thumb:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 07:41:57 »

yes there

I wish people would stop calling it the tex poker case. It is a laffindude GH60 case. Because it is aluminum, I could not get it that low. and another mm was added during production. Zero degree angle is the primary thing I wanted. 3mm deep ribs are made fir stuffing the case with PCB support. anyhow I am gonna design something even thinner. 60% of course. We'll see....

Because it is sold by Tex and fits Pokers? Perhaps the OP in this thread should be updated to show more accurate info about it: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47376.0

And Mechanical Keyboards sell them under the Tex brand name: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?m=&c=44&l=product_list&sortby=id:desc

Looking forward to your new design!
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2014, 07:44:52 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline trentva

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 14:36:28 »
can someone with the poker 2 and the tex 60% case tell me how much shorter the height profile is compared to stock poker 2..that would be awesome