Author Topic: What keyboard things will you never 'get'?  (Read 47645 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: What keyboard things will you never 'get'?
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:21:51 »
I don't get the love for WinKeyLess. I mean it looks awesome but it's not practical for me. I like the Windows key. It's pretty useful for what I do.

Agreed

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46333.msg977489#msg977489

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:23:57 »
I don't get the need for a "00" button. Why add another button which essentially is just a macro of hitting the button to it's left twice? Large single "0" for the win.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:24:13 »
Molds are very expensive. Paying someone to design a board is very expensive. Marketing something is very expensive. These things are costs. There are also overhead costs not directly related to the board. A standard keyboard selling for five bucks has the volume to make these costs negligible. There's a good chance an ergo board doesn't. That said, I still wouldn't doubt the profit margin is huge.
More or less my point, yeah. Design I could see being a bit of a pain, but molds are a more or less consistent opperational cost. Marketing though? The marketing would more or less be that it's USB and HID compliant while costing less than ten bucks. ;-)

Ergo for the masses! :-D
All the molds required for a keyboard (case, caps, etc) might cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. These things have a lot of different cap sizes, often no two letters quite the same. The letters alone would be 130,000 at 5 grand a mold (with design, manufacturer, testing, and modification that's probably extremely low). The membrane is probably pretty expensive too. The design and testing are probably far more with the salaries of the people involved. Then marketing costs (there's box art, possible online adverts, a page on the website). Then you have generic overhead (salaries of everyone the buisness has to hire) and profit. Even if the material+manufacture cost was a dollar per board, you have to divide all the costs between a relatively small number compared to a standard.

Then you have a no name chinese company using a board that has the same profile cap on every letter and has a generic pre existing design. There are also very few employees, none of whom make even a dollar an hour. Let's assume that with all this in place the cost to manufacture one (ignoring prior costs and overhead) is the same. There's still so much less overhead to divide into it, plus it will sell more models due to the normal layout and lower cost.

I still think they could greatly lower the price and still have profit, but I can definitely see it being more expensive than a lot of boards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:25:00 »
I don't get why anyone is still using staggered layout when straght column layout is available, EVEN if it's not on an EDx,  there's the truly-ergonomic and kinesis.

Though obviously EDx being superior to the latter 2 due to programmability and split placement.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 10:42:49 »
I don't get why anyone is still using staggered layout when straight column layout is available

I like the staggered layout. I make fewer errors that way.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 11:01:01 »
Unicomp sells blank keycaps
They aren't. €60 Cherry G80 has them, so does unicomp priced at $100. Hell, $80 choc mini has thick ones.
I'm talking about aftermarket caps (different color schemes). All of the sets I have seen are $75-$80 or more. Just for a set of caps. If that's not expensive then we're just in different income brackets. I'm just poor :/

Economy of scale. Also, those sets are basically luxurious items.

I'm not exactly rich either, but hey! do I actually *need* fancy keycaps? Nope. For me, it's only about comfort and durability. My sub-$100 keyboard had thick POM set out of the box, I got slightly used lasered Cherry PBT keycaps almost for free, PBT DSA set for ErgoDox was about $40, and I don't think I'll pay more than $50 including shipping for blanks for my unicomp if I decide to keep it.

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 12:21:31 »
If you don't like "sharp" spacebars, turn it around! (I'm sure somebody already posted this though :S )

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 12:24:56 »
I saw a few people here said they don't like imsto thick pbt, I haven't try them, what is their problem? :rolleyes:

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 12:37:53 »
I like thick pbt, some people prefer thick abs. Some strange people even prefer think keycaps  :eek:

It's all about personal preference. pbt is a little "harder and rougher" while abs is more smooth. I prefer  the roughness of pbt, some prefer the smoothness of abs.

But I have yet to try thick abs. Still, the point is that it's a personal preference. But will all preference, you will also see that there are some characteristics that are more popular. For example, I have not seen many people saying that they didn't like the cherry profile and most people seems to prefer thick keycaps to thin keycaps, but that's not everyone.

In the end, you need to try them to know which one you prefer.

The you add your choice of switch, spring, lube, o-ring, layout, plate-mount or pcb-mount and you realise that there's a lot of many combinations to try!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 12:45:56 »

Topre. Now there's nothing inherently wrong with Topre, I actually like the feel of Topre just fine. But I've never seen the appeal to the extent that some people put the Topre on a pedestal and forsake all other switches. It just smacks of circlejerk.

Clearly you've never thocked....bro :P

Circlejerkin' to Topre all day, urrry day

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 12:54:39 »
I like thick pbt, some people prefer thick abs. Some strange people even prefer think keycaps  :eek:

It's all about personal preference. pbt is a little "harder and rougher" while abs is more smooth. I prefer  the roughness of pbt, some prefer the smoothness of abs.

But I have yet to try thick abs. Still, the point is that it's a personal preference. But will all preference, you will also see that there are some characteristics that are more popular. For example, I have not seen many people saying that they didn't like the cherry profile and most people seems to prefer thick keycaps to thin keycaps, but that's not everyone.

In the end, you need to try them to know which one you prefer.

The you add your choice of switch, spring, lube, o-ring, layout, plate-mount or pcb-mount and you realise that there's a lot of many combinations to try!

;)I am still using the original keycap that on filco, but I have bought thick pbt and haven't try it. Maybe I will know which one do I prefer after using the thick one

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 13:07:31 »
I've got thick PBT and oem ABS, I don't really feel a typing difference except the ABS are smoother. When I'm typing without paying attention, I don't notice any difference. I do like my abs keycaps, though, only because the nubs on F and J are larger.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 13:22:30 »
I think how smooth are the keycap is because of the mod of the keycap. But it is just what I think
I haven't try pbt a lot , but I remember, the keycap of the razer black widow(not ultimate) is really rough. But the keycap on the ducky shine2 and filco ninja is really really smooth.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 13:40:01 »
I don't get "gamer" fonts. Just because someone plays video games and likes flashy stuff doesn't mean they want ugly font. In fact almost every gamer feature besides backlighting (can it really be called a gaming feature?) is stupid.

In short I will never get
  • gamer fonts
  • gamer macro keys
  • gamer screens like on that one logitech board

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:03:02 »
I don't get "gamer" fonts. Just because someone plays video games and likes flashy stuff doesn't mean they want ugly font. In fact almost every gamer feature besides backlighting (can it really be called a gaming feature?) is stupid.

• gamer fonts
  • gamer macro keys

I think some design are quite smart, but some are relly stupid. But I like regular mechanical keyboard more than gaming keyboard.

Offline jackstar7

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:04:16 »
Those light keyboards that were supposed to be a revolution in typing (just smacking your fingers into your desk).
Topre 30g 104U-Silent --- 87U-Silent and 103U are now backups only

Offline fuzzyx3000

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:30:38 »
I haven't seen this being mentioned in regards to Scroll Lock. When you turn on Scroll Lock you can scroll in Excel using your arrowkeys whereas it navigates through cells when Scroll Lock is off.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:34:11 »
What if I haven't used any spreadsheet app in years?

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:58:53 »

• gamer fonts
  • gamer macro keys

I can see how the screens on logitech keyboards can be useful, but I personally wouldn't find anything to do with it, but it does seem pretty cool. I've got a k90 with 18 macro keys, and I never use them. They just aren't useful. I expected to be able to have a "rapid fire" clicking macro, but it won't let me add clicks to the macro. I like "gamer fonts" like on the BWU, but I would never get them just because you can't mix and match the keycaps.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:32:05 »
I don't get the old Cherry MX keyboard fascination, other than the fact that they are vintage.  Mostly because of the huge bezel.  I'd rather have a modern keyboard with macro keys and a numpad over an older full-sized keyboard with huge bezel margins that would be even larger in size.  Same for buckling spring keyboards, but I guess there's not much choice there--one just about has to get a keyboard with a huge bezel with it.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:33:19 »
#VINTAGE
I love Elzy

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:38:04 »
People who don't like MY and complain about it.

You should be ashamed that The Great One hasn't chosen you!~
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:17:19 »
So you're saying you'll buy all the NIB POS MY boards I just throw away after harvesting the caps?
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #173 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:19:03 »
So you're saying you'll buy all the NIB POS MY boards I just throw away after harvesting the caps?

Not after they have been disgraced by one as filthy as you...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:23:24 »

...So why am I "filthy"?
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline tehsprayer

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:24:52 »
Overpriced novelty keycaps such as CCs
Keyboards such as kmac which are like $400, I could buy a better $250 topre.

REΛLFORCE 87U - uniform 55g

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:25:03 »

...So why am I "filthy"?

You disrespect The Great One!

Pull off it's caps, throw it away... filthy.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:27:12 »
Keyboards such as custom anodized aluminum kmac which are like $400, I could buy a $250 plastic topre.
FTFY

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:29:58 »
lol calling custom boards overpriced but buys topper.
I love Elzy

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:32:22 »
What is an enthusiast?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:35:39 »
What is an enthusiast?

I'd rather put it this way:

Keyboards such as topre which are like $250 when I can buy an $80 Cherry MX board.

What's up now!  Same logic.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:37:52 »
What is an enthusiast?

I'd rather put it this way:

Keyboards such as topre which are like $250 when I can buy an $80 Cherry MX board.

What's up now!  Same logic.
Yeah I know people like that just bug me.  Especially when you are posting on a board for kbd enthusiasts, why make posts like that?

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:41:16 »

...So why am I "filthy"?

And just who is "The Great One"? Is it a *magical* pony (in your head) that tells you to love horrible switches (or else)? For being "Master of all Ponies", and yet being bossed around by another brony (that's in your head) is just... Sad...
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:47:19 by The_Ed »
R.I.P.ster

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 19:44:38 »

...So why am I "filthy"?

And just who is "The Great One"? Is it a *magical* pony (in your head) that tells you to love horrible switches (or else)? For being "Master of all Ponies", and yet being bossed around by another brony (that's in your head) is just... Sad...

I'm sorry for being mean.

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 22:27:39 »

...So why am I "filthy"?

Well, that escalated quickly.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 22:29:16 »
That really got out of hand. Brick killed a guy!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #186 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 23:28:10 »
The awful secret behind those MY switches they are actually compressed cocaine and repeated rage fist typing exposes the user, thus leading to these run-ins.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 23:40:18 »
The awful secret behind those MY switches they are actually compressed cocaine and repeated rage fist typing exposes the user, thus leading to these run-ins.

This explains a few things...

Offline tufty

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 00:57:48 »
People wittering on about how tenkeyless is ergonomically *sooooo* much better than a full keyboard when they are still using a staggered layout with QWERTY.

Also, backlit boards and novelty keycaps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 July 2013, 01:00:05 by tufty »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 00:59:25 »
Probably Korean customs that cost over $300 and Topres.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 01:00:29 »
Why does that irk you?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 01:05:44 »
It doesn't irk me..I can just afford $50 keyboards.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 01:10:20 »
It doesn't irk me..I can just afford $50 keyboards.

I thought you had  an LZ-GH? I'm sure that was more than $50
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 05:47:44 »

Yeah, where'd you get a grenade from anyways?
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 06:34:38 »
Why does that irk you?

It's been discussed quite a few times, same issue as with weird keycaps. First, I don't think it's good for the community. Second, it says something about distribution of wealth in the society, and I'm afraid this lack of modesty will lead to lots of trouble in the future.

Offline Brick Tamland

• I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 08:14:56 »

Yeah, there were horses and a man on fire and I killed a guy with a trident!
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 10:18:19 »

...So why am I "filthy"?

Well, that escalated quickly.

People should just stop arguing and get a G81.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:23:22 »
I have one that was NIB that I modded (took all the helical springs out) and no-one has bought it in 2 years... I don't understand why a bunch of you people are spouting all this praise for a switch THAT NO-ONE WILL BUY...
R.I.P.ster

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:24:12 »
I have one that was NIB that I modded (took all the helical springs out) and no-one has bought it in 2 years... I don't understand why a bunch of you people are spouting all this praise for a switch THAT NO-ONE WILL BUY...

It's a joke...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 14:26:23 »

It's a joke...

It's spam that noobs who don't frequent the site might believe.

Stop. Doing. It.
R.I.P.ster