Author Topic: The 'spouse's opinion on keyboards' thread  (Read 6953 times)

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
The 'spouse's opinion on keyboards' thread
« on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 06:42:53 »
Alright people I want to hear what your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend thinks about your little obsession with keyboards.

Personally, my wife doesn't care about keyboards at all but she's becoming more concerned as my cupboard slowly fills and my wallet quickly empties.

So, let's hear it:

How do you justify your purchases? (I'll be taking notes :smile:)
Do they use a mechanical board too?
Did you convert them from that nasty rubber dome to a mechanical?
Do they roll their eyes when you talk about anything related to keyboards?
If you don't have a spouse, do your friends and family hold back giggles when you start talking about different switch types?

Offline trievalot

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 09:07:17 »
waste of money, how many keyboards do you need she says, you can only use one at a time. how many shoes do you need is my reply, you can only wear one pair at a time
saying that, she knows the difference between a rubber dome and a cherry, and doesnt hate the Model M.

as for friends, when they say OMG YOU SPENT WHAT, i refer back to their graphics cards and neon filled cases.
[SIGPIC]

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 10:02:46 »
I no longer even try to justify it.  

My partner uses a das with cherry blues. She has actually said she likes it.
She was breaking the cheap rubber dome keyboards she was using previously; making the switch to cherry blues was a noticeable difference for her.

No one outside this forum that I talk to really cares about the keyboard they use. However, they seem to take an interest in the mice they use.

General rule of thumb is not to talk about keyboards while at the dinner table : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline unicomp

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 10:35:29 »
Lie about the cost. "My HHKB was really expensive, like $80, but don't worry it is actually a very good keyboard and the last I will buy for some time".

Offline glo

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 10:40:56 »
Yea, I'm with you.
Just say "One million dollars!"

Offline Morning Song

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 11:13:01 »
Mine ranges from "Awwww, that's cute" to "Ooooooh. It goes clicky-clacky" and is generally supportive.
Clicky keyboards and big trackballs forever!

Keyboards:
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M 1391401, Unicomp Customizer 104, PS/2 modded IBM Model F Terminal 6110668 (current favorite)
Cherry: Filco Majestouch 105 Blue NKRO w/ doubleshots
ALPS: Dell AT101W Black SNAFU (Silent No-longer; All Fukka\'d Up), Siig Minitouch KB1948 Geek Hack Spacesaver edition, Focus FK-2001 w/ WinKeys+XM Alps
Rubber Dome: Belkin F8E887-BLK, Silitek SK-6000, Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard

Works in Progress:
Prism ATX N9 Keyboard w/ Fukkas (Clickleaf Donor), Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2/02 Brown NKRO, Cherry G81-7000HPCUS-2/02 (Doubleshot donors), Unicomp Customizer 101 (Springs donor, needs boltmod)

Pointing Devices:
Kensington Expert Mouse 7, Wacom Intuos3 6x8 w/ classic pen

Looking to buy/trade for:Dolch Cherry keycaps, Northgate Omnikey (With Fkeys on top, or both top & left), IBM Model F AT

Offline dmw

• http://humblehacker.com
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 13:26:27 »
I was appalled at the piece of trash keyboard that my GF was forced to type on at work every day, so I bought her a nice SMK-88 with Cherry blues.

This was her reaction:

I got a keyboard for Valentine's Day, which most GF's wouldn't be too happy about. I was delighted. But then it came out the keyboard wasn't for V. Day at all, just coincidentally arrived near Feb 14!

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 14:53:43 »
Quote from: trievalot;201268
waste of money, how many keyboards do you need she says, you can only use one at a time. how many shoes do you need is my reply, you can only wear one pair at a time
saying that, she knows the difference between a rubber dome and a cherry, and doesnt hate the Model M.

as for friends, when they say OMG YOU SPENT WHAT, i refer back to their graphics cards and neon filled cases.

My wife's general attitude to my keyboards or computer related stuff in general is a variation of the Latin "Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset" & the Marines / Green Berets "Kill'em all, and let God sort 'em out", "Throw them all out and let the garbage men sort 'em out!".  But she holds off knowing I won't react well if she does.  But I keep them out of her beaten path if know what's good for me and my toys.  Folks that have been together a while all have buttons which are best not pressed, dogs best not to wake up, :wink:.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 14:59:20 »
Well, these are the two reactions I get from friends or family members:
A) why are you so obsessed with keyboards?
B) THAT KEYBOARD MAKES A CLICKING NOISE, IT'S SO AWESOME, I WANT ONE.

It's interesting to note that not many people I encounter seem indifferent, they're either really positive or negative towards keyboards and the emphasis placed upon them thereof.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline kriminal

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 15:13:06 »
i lie about how much i spent on kbs to my gf...
however i managed to convert her a little by giving her my cherry brown filco..
her reply was " this keyboard makes typing so.. exquisite"

:)
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline gr1m

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 15:31:05 »
lolspouses

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 15:47:48 »
Mine just shakes her head... she barely batted an eyelid when a Boscom and G80-1800 arrived last week. She did ask me to take the bosom off until her headache went though, it is kinda noisy I suppose.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 18:06:05 »
She's actually pressured me to buy more keyboards before in the past. Did I score or what? Ok, but that was a particular case. I was barely making enough money a few years ago and after suffering through bad keyboards that were hurting my hands, I found an out of production keyboard that I liked, but wasn't willing to buy spares because I was too cheap to buy backups.

My wife's generally supportive of my keyboard fascination, but I think she's starting to get to the point in which she's starting to feel that I've got enough keyboards now and I agree. As long as the less expensive ones aren't cluttering the house and there's a good reason for me to buy the more expensive ones, she has no problem with it.

Good keyboards keep my hands healthy so these aren't exactly luxury items to me. I might get a Topre board later this year and I'll be the first to balk at paying over $200 for a board unless there was a good reason for me owning it.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline 002

• Topre Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 July 2010, 18:11:12 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;201381
Did I score or what?

:thumb: Yep, you did.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
Re: The 'spouse's opinion on keyboards' thread
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 12:18:01 »
My spouse suggested I start a thread called
'My Spouse is annoyed because'...

and then explained that increase my post count so I could then post to the classified and sell some of the spares I have.

I most heartedly welcome and discourage discussion of this :D

Her opinion of keyboards is pragmatic as she enjoys a Microsoft 4000 ergo, and appreciates the qualities of different keyboards.

More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:38:58 »
My girl doesn't understand my obsession, but she's cool with it. Plus she's a stay at home mom, which means she doesn't get to say **** about how I spend my extra cash.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:40:55 »
My girlfriend compared my keyboard enthusiasm with how she likes fashion.  :rolleyes:

Offline keymaster

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 14:25:12 »
my wife is generally supportive but irritated and jealous that nobody makes a keyboard for her (I believe what she would like is a Pink Microsoft 4000 Ergo that uses silent variable Topres)

Women can be so picky :P
Mine would like the Valentine's set + those nail polished caps in various colors.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 01:09:26 »
my wife is generally supportive but irritated and jealous that nobody makes a keyboard for her (I believe what she would like is a Pink Microsoft 4000 Ergo that uses silent variable Topres)

Are you f**king kidding me? An MS 4000 w/ Topres would be my dream board.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 01:21:54 »
My wife is pretty awesome about my assortment of hobbies, including keyboards.  She was alarmed when a 30-pound box of keycaps arrived from my first group buy, but was cool with it when I explained I hadn't paid for them out of pocket. :)

She spends a lot of money on shoes and hair and whatnot, so it all evens out. ;D

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 01:29:11 »

MS 4000 with Cherry mechanical switches would be my dream board.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 01:48:21 »
My girlfriend compared my keyboard enthusiasm with how she likes fashion.  :rolleyes:

Yup. that's exactly what it is, if you "collect" things...  For example,,  first, there was filco, and everybody bought that, then there was aluminum cases, and everybody buys that, and then quickfire rapid, everyone buys that, now we're moving on to 60%, and 60% aluminum

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 04:06:18 »
How do you justify your purchases?
"Its my money, so I can spend it on whatever I like..."
Simple, but also works for other expensive stuff like my DSLR gear ^^;

Do they use a mechanical board too?
Did you convert them from that nasty rubber dome to a mechanical?

Got my fiance a pink PLU (actually wanted a pink Filco, but EK sold the one I asked him to keep on hold for me, grrr)
Later on she saw the Jelly caps here and wanted em as a birthday present, seems she is converted now, mission accomplished!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 04:21:49 »
Don't gamble, smoke, belong to a cult or play golf...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 04:31:00 »
Don't gamble, smoke, belong to a cult or play golf...

when has geekhack not been a cult...

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 05:43:23 »
Darling, why do you need 2 keyboards?

Darling, why do you need to spend 500 USD on a keyboard?

Darling, brown red and blue keys feel kind of the same..

Darling, that skull(click clack) is so ugly!

Ultimately she still supports me... :)

Offline verbhal

• twitch.tv/verbhal
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 07:19:02 »
Keyboards are some what of an after thought for my girlfriend. My shoe collection is what gets me in the most trouble. But she usually asks why I need so many keyboards.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 08:26:53 »
Plus she's a stay at home mom, which means she doesn't get to say **** about how I spend my extra cash.

My wife made this sacrifice when she became pregnant with our first child.  She has been a stay-at-home mom for a decade and a half (married for almost 20 years).  There is no way that I would ever claim more ownership of our income because I am the one that holds the job.

That being said, my wife absolutely loves high-quality keyboards (although, she is perfectly happy with having only ONE for herself).

first, there was filco

Maybe for you newbs.  ;)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 08:31:53 »

first, there was filco

Maybe for you newbs.  ;)

Wut, I am a n00b? ...  duh, yes I am...  :p

Back to the original topic, my spouse does not understand my passion for keyboards, but I don't understand her passion to buy so many clothes and cosmetic, so in the end I am the one spending less!!!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 08:41:56 »
My GF isn't really interested in keyboards or mice, she wants a good looking and comfortable mouse and as far as keyboards go she's looking for a small footprint good looking board, or a replica Portal keyboard.
She does understand what a hobby is and that other people's hobbies don't have to be the same as hers, so it's not like she goes "I don't get why you need another mouse" or "why do you have more than one keyboard".

Make it tenkeyless as well and you've got the perfect keyboard for me as well.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 08:57:47 »

Didn't TG3 do something like that?

I have no spouse, but I'm pretty cheap myself. It takes a lot of work to convince me to spend what little money I have, and that's why I only have one keyboard that cost me more than 100 USD.

Reactions from friends and family are mostly indifferent. I haven't converted anybody and haven't really tried.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:01:04 »

Didn't TG3 do something like that?

I have no spouse, but I'm pretty cheap myself. It takes a lot of work to convince me to spend what little money I have, and that's why I only have one keyboard that cost me more than 100 USD.

Reactions from friends and family are mostly indifferent. I haven't converted anybody and haven't really tried.

Reactions from friends: "YOU SPENT WHAT? ON THAT KEYBOARD? IM SO JUDGING YOU RIGHT NOW......."

But I accidentally converted my cousin and my aunt by having an SSK and Model M shipped to their house to save on shipping, now I need to hound them to GET MY KEYBOARDS BACK after they replaced their rubberdomes with that after I asked them to help test the keyboards for me!

Offline keymaster

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 09:16:27 »
Darling, why do you need 2 keyboards?

Darling, why do you need to spend 500 USD on a keyboard?

Darling, brown red and blue keys feel kind of the same..

Darling, that skull(click clack) is so ugly!

Ultimately she still supports me... :)

I had a pretty good laugh at this  :D