Author Topic: Interest in G502 modular USB cable mod DIY?  (Read 19135 times)

Offline bluecar5556

Interest in G502 modular USB cable mod DIY?
« on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:01:13 »
Bought a Logitech G502 mouse the other day... Proceed to take it out of the box and what do you know? It has a braided USB cable permanently attached to it, eww. My table has a very slick surface and the braided cable is so stiff, it has pushed a full glass of water on my lap. Not to mention being a real PITA.

I've seen other mice that have USB connections at the front. Say your dog chews the cord off, all you do is get another USB cord and BLAM! Problem solved. Maybe you cannot stand the braided cable and/or it herniated on you, myself included. I've already created a tutorial on replacing the cable all together on a G5 but I want to do something different. Modular is a good thing because the skates or feet usually have to replaced every time a mouse is opened up and who wants to crack open a mouse every time something happens to the cable?

Let me know what you guys think!

Craig

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
Re: Interest in G502 modular USB cable mod DIY?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:23:55 »
Hrmm...

Use a mouse bungee.. LOL
More expensive than a replacement cable plus what if someone is short on desk space? I personally hate braided cables. Normal light cables are perfect IMO.

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 15:44:44 »
I use a 24" trinitron CRT monitor that leaves me without much room on the desk. It is rather frustrating that the braided cord has to have a very gradual radius and a lot of room to not drag across anything with its sandpaper texture, adding unwanted input to the mouse. There is also some spring back from being so stiff, if the cable is up against something. This is unexceptable for a 60-80 dollar mouse. I got it from some dude on CL for 45 but that's besides the point.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 18:00:12 »
I use a 24" trinitron CRT monitor that leaves me without much room on the desk. It is rather frustrating that the braided cord has to have a very gradual radius and a lot of room to not drag across anything with its sandpaper texture, adding unwanted input to the mouse. There is also some spring back from being so stiff, if the cable is up against something. This is unexceptable for a 60-80 dollar mouse. I got it from some dude on CL for 45 but that's besides the point.

so again..  The bad choices YOU make are causing the problem..

hahahahah  JKJKJK

Um... don't know buddy,  seems like bigger desk is easier and cheaper to do than this mouse cord thing..

Assuming you value your free time..

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 19:10:56 »
so again..  The bad choices YOU make are causing the problem..
As in screen tearing and motion blur, no true blacks limiting contrast. CRT's are analog and have nanosecond display lag as opposed to 15-30ms of LCD's. The '1ms GTG' is a marketing gimmick meaning Gray To Gray, the response time of the pixels only, not accounting for scaling that LCD's must do. Try competing professionally in Smash Bros. with anything but a CRT. You would be laughed at all the way home.
Um... don't know buddy,  seems like bigger desk is easier and cheaper to do than this mouse cord thing..
Everything is Coca-Cola memorabilia in this room, do you have a bigger cheap coca-cola table you want to sell? A USB receptacle is a few bucks, the mouse feet is a few bucks that is if you don't already have a soldering iron and a dremel is optional.
Assuming you value your free time..
Take a look at my split keyboard in my sig. I do this as a hobby.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 11:15:32 »
You can make a mouse bungee, you know, as a hobby.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 21:09:12 »
I love my G502, and find it's cable to be much softer and more flexible than practically any other braided cable I've used.

But if it's too much for you, by all means have a blast.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 21:42:26 »
I've seen other mice that have USB connections at the front. Modular is a good thing because the skates or feet usually have to replaced every time a mouse is opened up and who wants to crack open a mouse every time something happens to the cable?

Craig ole son, the ONLY current selling mice having a removable usb cable is either a G700 series or an Asus Gladius, and they are the ones I've got in stock.

Modular usb cables are not main stream in any way because the mouse producers are extremely nasty and tight with budgets when it comes to adding a removable usb cable, to their input devices.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 00:38:44 »
Not trying to break the ice here
but I've never have the taste for cabled mouse, and been switching various wireless mouse since

But I've got my heart on G602 (and yes i've tried g700s but still prefer the G602)
so why not give good wireless mouse a try , problem solved
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 02:35:05 »
The G602 is a beast of a mouse. Soooo good.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 02:42:16 »
I don't care for those cables either (this is why I'm a zowie fan for life) but I used to "workout" my cable...

I would hang it over a round bar and work the cable back and forth (like trying to saw the bar in half)...

It would usually do the job for the section I needed to be soft... GL!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Axollott

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 05:14:55 »
I don't care for those cables either (this is why I'm a zowie fan for life) but I used to "workout" my cable...

I would hang it over a round bar and work the cable back and forth (like trying to saw the bar in half)...

Awesome way to stress the braided sleeve... and all the cable internals. Great advice, bruh...

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 05:29:23 »

Awesome way to stress the braided sleeve... and all the cable internals. Great advice, bruh...
I didn't say swing from it, bruh...
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:12:37 »
Not sure this is a very good idea, unless you make sure the plug is well and truly supported by some surrounding material. Moving the mouse around will put lots of strain on the socket otherwise.

I just give my mouse cable enough room above my mousepad and make sure there's a big s-shaped bend in the cable so it can flex naturally without dragging / pulling. I really like the braided cables as they seem to "slide" better over my desk without gripping.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline neverused

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 14:34:48 »
Pop that thing open and desolder the old cable, then solder in a new one. If it must be detachable, then at least make the receptacle outside of the mouse body so that assembly can flex a little.

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 15:02:01 »
USB connectors are usually the first to go out on all my devices especially micro usb. It's a pain to have to resolder the connectors back on rather than have a cable that can withstand a lot of stress. If you can make the modular USB connection tight and physically wiggle resistant, I would love to see a DIY on it :)

Offline ewh

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 21:52:47 »
the cable in the g502 is detachable and has the same pin configuration as other logitech mice. for my g100s, i replaced the cable with a deathadder cable from ebay. it works perfectly and is very flexible and thin. you can probably do the same for the g502

the main difficulty is to open up the mouse though. you need to remove all the mouse feet except for the ones on the "door" for the weights so you'll probably want to buy replacement feet. after removing the feet and the screws you need to pry apart a clip on the shell on the left side (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2du4xpuI5vw/U15p94db6QI/AAAAAAAABs0/WX4H8RfZhTQ/s1600/logitech_g502_disassemble04.jpg)

then you gotta remove the black plastic clip behind the wheel and the entire transparent wheel module should slip right out. don't lose the two small springs at the front of the pcb. unscrew the two screws at the top, 2 at the middle, and one at the bottom right, and you can remove the pcb and pull off the cable.

I love my G502, and find it's cable to be much softer and more flexible than practically any other braided cable I've used.

But if it's too much for you, by all means have a blast.

i recently got a g502 and the cable on mine is also stiff. i think something has changed to the cable because i remember my friend's g502 cable being alright

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 21:56:53 »
Regardless of technical issues, my g502 cable is trashed so I would love a new one  :))

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 09:36:25 »
DIY: https://youtu.be/Nu5cOsWbKGY

You also make it removable by using Micro USB connectors or something similar.

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 11:47:18 »
DIY: https://youtu.be/Nu5cOsWbKGY

You also make it removable by using Micro USB connectors or something similar.

Nice video lol, makes me want to change my cable too!

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 00:57:52 »
I might try this!

Offline bluecar5556

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 04:51:26 »
Even easier solution after chipping away, at the side of my finger, with a razor blade for 10 minutes; cut the braiding off of the cable. By no means is it an easy task but much easier then taking a mouse apart. My mouse isn't a year old and already developed a kink in the cable! Are you freakin' kidding me logitech?!? It took no more then 10 minutes to cut it all off. What I did was picked at the frayed sheathing until it fanned out in all directions then pulled it all to one side and cut it off. Rinse and repeat until it's all gone. Cut away from the cable of course and yourself!

Oh, one more thing. Where the braided sheathing kinked, the cable has a permanent kink in it as well! Argh! Best to remove that garbage before things get worse.

Offline sintklaas73

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:15:31 »
Logitech issues solved with usb cables and you complain about their new solution...