Author Topic: Does anyone have a spare G400 shell? (Or can recommend a mouse?)  (Read 5351 times)

Offline Jamie UK

Does anyone have a spare G400 shell? (Or can recommend a mouse?)
« on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 08:57:38 »
I wondered if anyone might be able to help me, I'm looking for a G400 shell to replace the shell of my MX518.

A bit of background as to why I'm trying to do this…

I'm not a gamer - I'm a designer so I need a high DPI mouse and like having the additional buttons a gaming mouse offers. I bought the MX518 seven years ago on a recommendation and was mostly very pleased with it. Though one thing I was disappointed with was the wheel which feels loose and very hard to middle click, and overall it doesn't feel as 'solid' as my previous mouse (Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical).

But by far my biggest gripe about the MX518 is the way it looks! Good grief, I find that pattern quite hideous, and try not to look at it too much or it would make me feel sick. It's just so messy and looks dirty. I want a mouse that looks elegant and neat.

After 7 years with the MX518, I decided to replace it and get something more attractive. However, after a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that I should keep my MX518, mostly because it is still highly regarded even today, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

As well as this, I struggled to find anything I liked the look of to replace it with. All the mice I liked the look of (and the price of) were not gaming mice. And in my opinion, gaming mice (and keyboards) today are just getting uglier and uglier! I know it's a personal thing but I just cannot stand the way these things look. I would describe them as dark, angular, harsh, strange, otherworldly, sinister and hostile. I don't want such ugly things anywhere near my room! I want technology that looks friendly, calm, inviting, neat, beautiful and pleasant.

So, with reluctance, I decided to keep my MX518, and started researching ways I could improve the way it looks. Then I found out that the shell of several models are all exactly the same size, including the G400 shell - which I don't hate!

Which brings me to why I am here - might anyone PLEASE be able to supply me with a G400 shell, or know a way of getting hold of one? Also, if anyone has any, I prefer the buttons on the G400 which don't have that annoying orange colour on them!

Edit: Or if anyone would like to suggest an alternative mouse, that would be great, thanks. I have large hands :)

Jamie, UK
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2016, 15:30:12 by Jamie UK »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Does anyone have a spare G400 shell?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 09:46:39 »
I do alot of cad..

I switched from a 518 to a g400, and it was alot easier to get around the tools, because now the mouse doesn't angle snap..

There's nothing magical about the g400 though,  it's was just the First mass proliferated mouse with 1000hz and a high enough dpi w/ low tracking error..

I'd recommend just buying g502 which is similar in shape to the 518,   or a G-pro, or g102 which most 518 users find comfortable.. ]

But I don't use any of that stuff nowadays..  I use my Ergopwn 9000,  which is a modifed G303 inside a vertical mouse shell..

This is the best combination for productivity work..  link is below in my signature.

Offline Jamie UK

Re: Does anyone have a spare G400 shell? (Or can recommend a mouse?)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 15:29:18 »
I'd recommend just buying g502 which is similar in shape to the 518,   or a G-pro, or g102 which most 518 users find comfortable.. ]
TP4, Thank you very much for the recommendations, I really appreciate your advice, though none of the models you mentioned are right for me. Here are my thoughts on them…

g502 - Ugh. This mouse is everything I hate! Asymmetrical, angular, black. I find it truly hideous! I like smooth, elegant curves.

G Pro / G102 - Both these mice are 116mm long, and seem too small for me. My MX518 is 130mm and that seems about right as I have large hands (21cm from tip of finger to base of palm).

Ergopwn Xtreme 9000 - Very interesting! :) … Though I really don't have the knowhow to make such a thing. I can plug things in but I can't build anything!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 16:40:53 »
TP4, Thank you very much for the recommendations, I really appreciate your advice, though none of the models you mentioned are right for me. Here are my thoughts on them…

g502 - Ugh. This mouse is everything I hate! Asymmetrical, angular, black. I find it truly hideous! I like smooth, elegant curves.

G Pro / G102 - Both these mice are 116mm long, and seem too small for me. My MX518 is 130mm and that seems about right as I have large hands (21cm from tip of finger to base of palm).

Ergopwn Xtreme 9000 - Very interesting! :) … Though I really don't have the knowhow to make such a thing. I can plug things in but I can't build anything!

There is the g900...  but i never recommend it because it's way $$$ overpriced...

Offline Bucake

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 December 2016, 08:42:13 »
check out the G403, it comes both as wireless or wired. of course the wireless one can be used as wired as well.
as for shells, you can simply find them on ebay :-)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red