Author Topic: To silence or not?  (Read 15508 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: To silence or not?
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 12:44:01 »
Been using KBDFans rings for 2 weeks now so I updated my impression a little bit (in my last post).

At this point I find there is different trade off with KBDFans and Hypersphere so if you want maximum tactility I'd recommend not mod it OR just buy official silent keyboards.

However if you want to completely get rid of "wobble" use Hypersphere rings, if you want a little of both (tiny reduction in travel and tiny dampening) use KBDFans rings.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline yuppie

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 12:51:19 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2017, 12:52:52 by yuppie »
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline daskeybo

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:10:35 »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 21:02:10 »
Well the new version is on the horizon, should just wait for that

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91649.0

https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1081484.html

So it's basically Normal, Silent, APC, and APC Silent 4 models.  APC being the models with variable actuation height adjustment.

It's already coming out in Japan I think it will hit North America some point in 2018.

It's almosttttttttt there (kinda), be patient.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 23:52:57 »
where in NC are you? I'd be happy to let you sample all sorts of oem and aftermarket topre silencing options if you want. I'm in Raleigh.
-Dana

Offline zslane

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 14:41:26 »
Still no Realforce RGB in a white case...

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 20:39:07 »
You're married, and you think you can have silence?   :eek:
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 15:40:47 »
where in NC are you? I'd be happy to let you sample all sorts of oem and aftermarket topre silencing options if you want. I'm in Raleigh.
Thanks, I may do that down the road.

I have definitely decided to silence my 87u with the sliders from my silenced 104u, just haven't done it yet.

And I am in Rolesville... so not too far away  :thumb:
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 15:42:13 »
Not in stock. No ETA.

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rf104&pid=xf11ts

Anyplace have them?
Good luck. I haven't been able to find any.

I picked up two when I heard that Elite Keyboards was not going to get any restocks. Frankly, I would be up for picking up one more to have a spare.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 15:43:45 »
Well the new version is on the horizon, should just wait for that

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91649.0

https://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1081484.html

So it's basically Normal, Silent, APC, and APC Silent 4 models.  APC being the models with variable actuation height adjustment.

It's already coming out in Japan I think it will hit North America some point in 2018.

It's almosttttttttt there (kinda), be patient.  :P
To each their own. I like the look of the older 87u way more than the new one you linked to. But again, to each their own.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 20:54:18 »
Thanks, I may do that down the road.

I have definitely decided to silence my 87u with the sliders from my silenced 104u, just haven't done it yet.

And I am in Rolesville... so not too far away  :thumb:

yeah, next time we have a little local gathering you should come - and remind me to bring some topre boards. Theres a thread to "notify" on if you want here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89373.0
The RDU people are all on Discord mostly.
-Dana

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 08:14:32 »
I would recommend against silencing your keyboard unless you use it in a room with other people (public office, etc.).
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 21:16:40 »
I would recommend against silencing your keyboard unless you use it in a room with other people (public office, etc.).
I guess but I think there are many other reasons (other than just personal taste of liking the sound of silenced sliders of course).

My two, and why I plan to silence:
1) At home, my current office area is near some other public areas in the house. Just trying to be considerate.
2) At work, I have my own office with a door that I can shut but I also get on conference calls. Need to silence for stealth, secret typing.

That said, I am curious. You said, "[you] would recommend against it". Is there something else I am not thinking of?

Offline Hyde

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 18:03:55 »
At least from my experience the only negative aspect of silencing is reduction of tactility and key travel so it actually changes the switch feel.  Which is why I recommend getting the official Realforce Silent because it has the least amount of reduction.

As to why I recommend silencing because it removes all the key wobble (if you swipe your hand across keys left and right) which result in making the switches feels more well put together (feels like typing on expensive keyboard).

Being quieter is just another nice touch.  You don't realize how much noise Topre makes until you try Silent.

:thumb: