Author Topic: Reveal ergonomic with PS/2 + serial?  (Read 1480 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Reveal ergonomic with PS/2 + serial?
« on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 04:19:03 »
Hey guys,

I just saw this on eBay, and wondered if it made sense to anyone:

192847-0

192849-1

192851-2

Normally, when a keeb has both PS/2 and serial cables, I'd assume it had a trackpad or trackball. But this one just has an odd key with a mouse symbol:

192855-3

Also, rather than one cable that splits into two connectors, there's a serial port:

192853-4

So I assume that means the serial cable we see here is actually separate, right? But again, what's it for?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Reveal ergonomic with PS/2 + serial?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 09:37:23 »
maybe the keyboard is ps2, and it has a hookup for a serial mouse ?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 16:13:25 »
Check the legends on the numeric keypad:
Eight directions, "Left Button", "Both Btns", "Right Button", "Button Lock", "Button Release", "Double Click" and "Click".

Obviously, you would be able to use the numeric keypad as a serial mouse, in case you did not have any plugged in.
I suppose that the key with the mouse legend is for toggling between mouse-keys and normal keys on the numeric keypad.

BTW, I am pretty sure I have seen this keyboard before somewhere, either here or on Deskthority.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 18:20:54 »
Hey guys,

I just saw this on eBay, and wondered if it made sense to anyone:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Normally, when a keeb has both PS/2 and serial cables, I'd assume it had a trackpad or trackball. But this one just has an odd key with a mouse symbol:

(Attachment Link)

Also, rather than one cable that splits into two connectors, there's a serial port:

(Attachment Link)

So I assume that means the serial cable we see here is actually separate, right? But again, what's it for?

Serial pass-through for a serial mouse.  If you use the "key mouse" you can use the numeric keypad for mouse movement and left chord right buttons. Good idea but to be honest it wasn't what I would call very good if you did use the "key mouse".  The pass through was what most people did after discovering how poorly it worked.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 19:12:42 »
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Converter-Prolific-Chipset-CB-DB9P/dp/B00IDSM6BW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522627901&sr=8-3&keywords=serial+to+usb

^--This will work, it is how I got my serial trackball to work. At least it will work in windows. No custom drivers needed.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:08:58 »
That's yet another instance of the LiteOn SK-6000 or similar.