Author Topic: Monitor Repair  (Read 2117 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Monitor Repair
« on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 10:10:32 »
Hello

This is akin to a necrobump, but I actually can't find the thread I wrote a long time ago.

I have an LG 2241T LCD monitor. It works fine for the first half hour or so. Then it starts flashing and I have to turn it off.

In the past I was advised to try checking for blown capacitors. That's the most common issue. Now I have opened the monitor, and to my utter horror, all capacitors are ok. The easy solution is not the correct one! I ran my finger over all of them to make sure they were flat on top.

What else can I do to resolve the issue?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Monitor Repair
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 10:16:26 »
Hello

This is akin to a necrobump, but I actually can't find the thread I wrote a long time ago.

I have an LG 2241T LCD monitor. It works fine for the first half hour or so. Then it starts flashing and I have to turn it off.

In the past I was advised to try checking for blown capacitors. That's the most common issue. Now I have opened the monitor, and to my utter horror, all capacitors are ok. The easy solution is not the correct one! I ran my finger over all of them to make sure they were flat on top.

did you check the bottoms?

Is the below board the one you checked?

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 11:21:54 »
Hello

Show Image

Thanks TP4, yes I checked below and there was a board that looked the same (except mine had 9 capacitators instead of the 8 in the photo). All tops flat and shiny.

Considering how much effort I had to go to in order to remove the monitor backing, I'm really disappointed. Nothing on my board looked out of place (no rust, stains, anything obviously bad.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 11:34:21 »
Hello

Show Image

Thanks TP4, yes I checked below and there was a board that looked the same (except mine had 9 capacitators instead of the 8 in the photo). All tops flat and shiny.

Considering how much effort I had to go to in order to remove the monitor backing, I'm really disappointed. Nothing on my board looked out of place (no rust, stains, anything obviously bad.)

the only other thing is try buying a replacement power board..

but, obviously you might as well just buy a new monitor.. haha..

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 11:42:22 »
If you cant figure out the problem you can try work arounds.  Maybe try lowering brightness or using a different output instead.  I had a monitor that on hdmi would go black fairly often and come back after a couple seconds but worked completely fine on vga.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 12:31:27 »
If you cant figure out the problem you can try work arounds.  Maybe try lowering brightness or using a different output instead.  I had a monitor that on hdmi would go black fairly often and come back after a couple seconds but worked completely fine on vga.

i would've just tossed the monitor.. hahaha.. this is smarter..

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 12:33:40 »

awesome idea; thanks! I haven't tried this before!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 12:39:03 »

awesome idea; thanks! I haven't tried this before!

i don't think it's the brightness though, this is an led backlit.. barely uses any power

input is possible

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 06:12:51 »
What about a monitor on DVI that powers on, then displays the "no signal" message and turns itself off, even though the computer is clearly on?

I checked both ends of the DVI cable - no broken or missing pins, and both ends are correctly plugged in.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 11:11:55 »
did you check if it's the computer?

next time this happens, just hit restart on the pc see if it comes back..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 21:00:37 »
did you check if it's the computer?

next time this happens, just hit restart on the pc see if it comes back..

I have no reason to suspect either.  I powered off the PC, the powered it on again - the monitor did not detect any signal at any time during that process.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ