Author Topic: Phobias  (Read 10257 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Re: Phobias
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 02:22:31 »
i live in constant fear that my desk chair will break in such a way that the gas cylinder underneath will propel the adjustable metal shaft upwards with all the force of its compressed air, explosively penetrating both the seat of the chair and myself

damn nmur, I share the same fear as you... especially after I saw there are incidents in China where there are people got injured in their rear due to those exploding seat's shaft....

But... But...

I don't see how this could happen..

there's usually a metal plate in the way,  then the chair plate (usually wood),

I just don't see how the cylinder explosion can get through all of that..

It would have to be a chair with no metal plate and no base plate..

I think this might be tabloid news.. 

Damn, no more mythbusters..

nsfw
More

it's on the internet so it must be true

the real worry is low quality chairs though. there's a couple around the office that people insist on sitting on

I'm not as afraid of my PC dying as I was. That was my worst fear since I don't have any backup parts atm. Now I'm a little more concerned that my computer chair is going to explode, holy ****.  :eek:
Chris Schammert

Offline rurushu

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 02:25:34 »
i live in constant fear that my desk chair will break in such a way that the gas cylinder underneath will propel the adjustable metal shaft upwards with all the force of its compressed air, explosively penetrating both the seat of the chair and myself

damn nmur, I share the same fear as you... especially after I saw there are incidents in China where there are people got injured in their rear due to those exploding seat's shaft....

But... But...

nsfw
More

the real worry is low quality chairs though. there's a couple around the office that people insist on sitting on

I'm not as afraid of my PC dying as I was. That was my worst fear since I don't have any backup parts atm. Now I'm a little more concerned that my computer chair is going to explode, holy ****.  :eek:

I think you can find external HDD as backup solution pretty easily as they are widely available and are much inexpensive compared to NAS or other backup solutions... as for the chair... well....

Offline rurushu

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 02:42:12 »

http://business.asiaone.com/news/woman-badly-injured-exploding-computer-chair

the fear is real....

"According to reports, her intestines and vagina were pierced by a steel rod"

OMG........

Pls tp... don't read them out....
Now I have to forget the whole thing all over again..  :-X

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 02:42:39 »

the fear is real....

OMG........
...That would be such a ****ty way to die..I mean dying is ****ty no matter the way, but that's just extra ****ty...

Offline Belfong

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 02:42:40 »

the fear is real....

OMG........
omg.. I cannot unsee this and now I am afraid of my computer chair! Damn!!!

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 02:45:22 »
I'll tell you what I'm not scared of: Not being totally awesome all the time!

Being in denial can be very tough on a person. Go see a psych asap

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 02:47:39 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 02:56:31 »
It's ok guys...

If we All use a Standing desk for 8 hours a day..

Then that reduces the risk of Steel Penetration by ~33%...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 03:03:14 »

But... But...

nsfw
More

I think you can find external HDD as backup solution pretty easily as they are widely available and are much inexpensive compared to NAS or other backup solutions... as for the chair... well....

What I meant was backup parts of everything. For me to feel safe I would need to have a spare UPS, HDD, SSD, CPU, GPU, motherboard, PSU, etc. But seriously, exploding chair is just way scarier imo
Chris Schammert

Offline rurushu

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 03:08:08 »
It's ok guys...

If we All use a Standing desk for 8 hours a day..

Then that reduces the risk of Steel Penetration by ~33%...

why only 33% reduction?
Is there a chance of sudden steel penetration by someone?  :eek:

But... But...

nsfw
More

What I meant was backup parts of everything. For me to feel safe I would need to have a spare UPS, HDD, SSD, CPU, GPU, motherboard, PSU, etc. But seriously, exploding chair is just way scarier imo

well, the scary part is... you cannot predict when it comes... if it does come....

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 06:53:06 »
Larger bugs are disgusting but they don't strike fear in me. Also, you can chase them away or crush them.

I have a much bigger problem with a multitude of smaller bugs that I can't reasonably get away from.

PS - when I lived in Florida we had huge cockroach-like creatures that were known as "palmetto bugs"
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 09:53:34 »
Larger bugs are disgusting but they don't strike fear in me. Also, you can chase them away or crush them.

I have a much bigger problem with a multitude of smaller bugs that I can't reasonably get away from.

PS - when I lived in Florida we had huge cockroach-like creatures that were known as "palmetto bugs"

TIL palmetto bugs are actually just large cockroaches.  My grandparents have them at their house down in Florida and always complain about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_woods_cockroach
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:02:56 »
Internet says the Roaches species among humans are not ecologically important..

We can safely eradicate them..

Main hindrance to this is probably the bug spray chemicons who are unwilling to let their bread lay un-buttered..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:07:25 »

TIL palmetto bugs are actually just large cockroaches.  My grandparents have them at their house down in Florida and always complain about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_woods_cockroach

I can always smell the palmetto bugs before I can see them. The smell imo is like concentrated rotting palm tree pollen :'(
Chris Schammert

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:08:29 »

the fear is real....

OMG........

rekt
Show Image

Ti Chi, Zombies, Plague and mist all rolled into one.  Shudder.

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 10:14:44 »
Internet says the Roaches species among humans are not ecologically important..

We can safely eradicate them..

Main hindrance to this is probably the bug spray chemicons who are unwilling to let their bread lay un-buttered..
Roaches are disgusting, but otherwise not the worst in the world. Mosquitos are much worse. Annoying little ****ers! We have to BURN them all!
Check my keyboard video reviews: