Author Topic: Which RGB keyboard to get if I have Topre now?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline tomic888

Which RGB keyboard to get if I have Topre now?
« on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 10:08:48 »
I've got a REALFORCE R2 PFU Limited Edition (Black/45g/TKL) with Topre keys and I love it, however it is not RGB and due to some circumstances I need to get an RGB keyboard now.

Unfortunately I can't buy the REALFORCE RGB as its not available in the UK and the eBay prices are ridiculous. (I would gladly exchange with someone the keyboards if you own the RGB variant in the UK).

Assuming that I love Topre keys, I've got no clue which RGB keyboard to buy that a Topre fan would also like. I'll use the new keyboard for coding & gaming.

Some considerations were SteelSeries Apex Pro, Roccat Vulcan.

Any recommendations?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Which RGB keyboard to get if I have Topre now?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 13:27:56 »
You want to get a split keyboard that can be tented to 45degrees +. Topre, that's the MuTron

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 15:07:52 »
I've got a REALFORCE R2 PFU Limited Edition (Black/45g/TKL) with Topre keys and I love it, however it is not RGB and due to some circumstances I need to get an RGB keyboard now.

Unfortunately I can't buy the REALFORCE RGB as its not available in the UK and the eBay prices are ridiculous. (I would gladly exchange with someone the keyboards if you own the RGB variant in the UK).

Assuming that I love Topre keys, I've got no clue which RGB keyboard to buy that a Topre fan would also like. I'll use the new keyboard for coding & gaming.

Some considerations were SteelSeries Apex Pro, Roccat Vulcan.

Any recommendations?

I'm pretty sure the Apex Pro has linear switches only, which will feel nothing like Topre. Linear switches usually feel like a whole lot of nothing from top to bottom and typically bottom out hard without dampening included in the slider design. If you're talking about the Roccat Vulcan Pro, there are tactiles available but other than being optical, they look to be MX clones. If you particularly like Topre, I wouldn't think you would necessarily like or dislike MX brown (I haven't tried Roccat's "titan" switches). They're too different from each other to be all that comparable. You've got the Rolls Royce of rubber domes now with Topre. MX tactiles usually have more of just a rounded (this kind of varies with clones) bump in an otherwise totally linear travel. MX brown, specifically, is only very slightly tactile. I don't have 45g Topre to compare against, but there's no comparison at all between them and 55g Topre in terms of how tactile they are.

Have you looked at the NIZ Topre knockoff boards? I think the one I linked is the closest combination between what you already had and what you're looking for. It looks like they don't offer it in 45g, but I don't know enough about Topre and clones to know how their weightings compare to each other anyway. You could always swap domes and/or springs if you ended up wanting something stiffer/more tactile. It is apparently a bit of a process to swap real Topre domes though.

Never mind tp4. He's an ergo (and MX blue) door-to-door evangelist and/or troll. It is hard to ever tell which it is at any given time.

Offline tomic888

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 08:04:51 »
Thanks for a detailed reply.

I checked out the knockoffs but none of them are RGB. I'm also not looking to put huge effort into this, so would rather
just get something off the shelf than customize it.

I know what I'm about to ask is a very difficult question, however if you had to answer, what kind of switches or a specific keyboard
would you think a Topre fan would also like? Needs to be an RGB keyboard.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 11:33:34 »
You are welcome.

They are RGB, although it looks like Niz's website didn't have any of the RGB variant in stock. This website seems to.

It does look like they probably make a 45g RGB one, but this is the first place I found one in stock. Not sure if they make one in both 45g and standard wired instead of being Bluetooth.

You would like a nice vintage dome with slider board. I haven't used any of the modern "memchanical" boards marketed to gamers, which often have RGB. Chyros has some Youtube videos on them if you wanted to look.

With modern mechanicals though, I couldn't say. If I had to use modern tactiles, between those I have tried, I would choose Topre or Matias. They're really not even similar though. They're just a lot better, in my opinion, than anything MX I have tried.

Have you tried any other "mechanical" keyboards in order to determine where your tastes lie? Otherwise, NIZ boards are the only thing I can almost guarantee that you will like. I haven't tried them myself, but some people even prefer their feel and/or sound to Topre. Topre is just too different from everything else on the market to make recommendations based only on an interest in that.

What do you want in a switch?