Author Topic: Why Ergo Clears?  (Read 27437 times)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: Why Ergo Clears?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:42:36 »
Never tried different springs but I love my stock clears so much! Best switch ever used.

Compare it to thorpe. Do it now.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 15:44:53 »
Never tried different springs but I love my stock clears so much! Best switch ever used.

I already told you, he can't, because he doesn't even use Thorpe anymore. :))
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 15:49:42 »

Clearly dustin only has topre boards now to display his novelty caps.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:00:14 »
been using 62g ergo clears all week for the first time on an entire keyboard, its a bit heavy for me but im going to stick with it for a few more days.....

i know people aren't always fans of browns, but for those who like light and tactile switches, something similar to 45g topre (similar, not the same!) id highly suggest trying out browns krytox combo lubed (a must with these) with 55g korean springs if people want something lighter than ergo clears but tactile. you can put 55g in clears but even with lube they feel "sticky". you would think the 55g spring would feel the same as the stock brown spring but it does not.

edit with pic

the pinky keys are the browns i speak of and the clears are 62g
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:04:43 by Glod »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:06:15 »
been using 62g ergo clears all week for the first time on an entire keyboard, its a bit heavy for me but im going to stick with it for a few more days.....

i know people aren't always fans of browns, but for those who like light and tactile switches, something similar to 45g topre (similar, not the same!) id highly suggest trying out browns krytox combo lubed (a must with these) with 55g korean springs if people want something lighter than ergo clears but tactile. you can put 55g in clears but even with lube they feel "sticky". you would think the 55g spring would feel the same as the stock brown spring but it does not.

edit with pic
Show Image

browns are barely tactile... with lube.. they're not tactile at all.. just a slight swoop feeling...

same goes for clears.. if you lube the 2x stem legs, it just doesn't feel tactile.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:10:38 »

:rolleyes: What can I say, I love clears.  ^-^

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:12:54 »

edit with pic
Show Image

browns are barely tactile... with lube.. they're not tactile at all.. just a slight swoop feeling...

same goes for clears.. if you lube the 2x stem legs, it just doesn't feel tactile.

well dont overdo it on the lube, people do th is i suspect, overlubing works well with reds and blacks but on tactile switches you really want to take it easy, just dab dab done. i know lubing guides basically say lube all the things, and i agree with this for like reds, but on clears and browns i rather just lube the rails and springs and call it done. maybe thats why my 55g clears didnt work out because i didnt want to go crazy on the lube

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:31:32 »
here i am thinking that 62g korean springs are similar to blues or browns. GLOD is making me second guess myself.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:34:08 »
here i am thinking that 62g korean springs are similar to blues or browns. GLOD is making me second guess myself.

They are the most similar  :mad:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54366.msg1217975#msg1217975

(compare light blue with dark blue)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:48:06 »

I didn't mean to give that idea!

62g are similar to brown springs, but clears sliders are like super holy-**** tactile, like when i first felt clears i don't know if anyone else was like me but i was surprised on just how tactile they are and i personally think the tactility makes it seem heavier.

But that's just me and my weak fingers. I like super light switches honestly, my favorite switch is actually blue switches with 45g korean springs; every time i type on those i actually start to cry a little because how good they are for me , but my wife complains about the sound they make so i decided to give full on ergo clear a shot and after many hours doing the soldering and lubing i have to say crap i don't know if i can commit to this just because she doesnt like the sound of my favorite switch

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:49:16 »

They are the most similar  :mad:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54366.msg1217975#msg1217975

(compare light blue with dark blue)

no way you can tell by hand given that graph...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:50:16 »

I didn't mean to give that idea!

62g are similar to brown springs, but clears sliders are like super holy-**** tactile, like when i first felt clears i don't know if anyone else was like me but i was surprised on just how tactile they are and i personally think the tactility makes it seem heavier.

But that's just me and my weak fingers. I like super light switches honestly, my favorite switch is actually blue switches with 45g korean springs; every time i type on those i actually start to cry a little because how good they are for me , but my wife complains about the sound they make so i decided to give full on ergo clear a shot and after many hours doing the soldering and lubing i have to say crap i don't know if i can commit to this just because she doesnt like the sound of my favorite switch

I totally agree super light blue is the ideal light-switch..

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 16:57:10 »
I don't even know why I'm getting blues on my latest ErgoDox, clears are "clearly" the best.

*ducks*

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 17:00:09 »
I'm putting jailhouse blues in my JD40 :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 17:05:46 »
I don't even know why I'm getting blues on my latest ErgoDox, clears are "clearly" the best.

*ducks*

No..........?

Blue is most technologically-advanced switch... an engineering masterpiece.

-reduced friction points

-audible click to enhance tactile response
----  this feature is impressive because it increases the perceived tactility of the switch WITHOUT increasing the actual perceived FRICTION...

MX Blue is Genius....

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 17:10:32 »

*ducks*

No..........?

Blue is most technologically-advanced switch... an engineering masterpiece.

-reduced friction points

-audible click to enhance tactile response
----  this feature is impressive because it increases the perceived tactility of the switch WITHOUT increasing the actual perceived FRICTION...

MX Blue is Genius....

Idunno, I just like the feel of Clears better.. although... I might try swapping the springs in the blues/clears... almost a Green, but with the force curve of the stock Clear switch.... hmmmmmm

Offline tbc

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 17:58:57 »
i made a single blue with clear spring.

i almost passed out from joy.

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 18:16:07 »
Well I lubed and spring swapped brand new clears without trying stock clears or letting them break in. I did everything wrong apparently.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 20:53:36 »
Well I lubed and spring swapped brand new clears without trying stock clears or letting them break in. I did everything wrong apparently.

Who cares bro  my first touch with clears was 62g ergo clears. I upgraded some of the springs to 65g/67g in the middle of the board. feels good man. i think 65g is my favorite out of the three. but 62g is pretty awesome too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 21:05:41 »

Who cares bro  my first touch with clears was 62g ergo clears. I upgraded some of the springs to 65g/67g in the middle of the board. feels good man. i think 65g is my favorite out of the three. but 62g is pretty awesome too.

for whatever reason the 65 felt -significantly heavier than the 62..

Offline robertsig

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 22:06:50 »
I can't imagine 65g's feel heavy, not compared to stock Clears.  I'll mod my board with 65's once I get them.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 22:20:10 »
No I can agree with that observation.  I've tried 65g Clears and they did feel significantly springier / tougher than 62g.  Again, stock Clears are not that heavy to actuation.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 00:13:10 »
I'm loving this discussion. I'm going to be assembling my first batch of Ergo-clears this weekend. So I'm excited to hear about all the options and preferences. I naively thought I was going to pop in some 55g springs and live happily ever after. My new plan is to start with stock, and then start lubing & swapping springs until I end up in cherry paradise.

Offline daetsid

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 09:28:04 »
I am a big fan of stock clears. I will lub them and have lubbed stock clears.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 09:32:15 »
:] Added to switch review directory!

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 10:19:47 »
what are the strength of the stock clears springs? 65g?  70g?

i am now thinking i may try the stock clears i ordered for a month or two before attempting to lube them unless my fingers get real tired real quick.  i am a blues man myself who disliked browns.

Offline daetsid

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 10:29:10 »

i am now thinking i may try the stock clears i ordered for a month or two before attempting to lube them unless my fingers get real tired real quick.  i am a blues man myself who disliked browns.

Stock clears are pretty stiff. I have blues, blacks and clears and the stiffest, by far, is the clear.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 11:04:41 »

Around 95g afaik...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 11:07:58 »
Ahh, thanks.

Does anyone know where I can pick up Krytox now that the Geekhack store is closed?  I don't need much, right?

Try ebay for the Krytox.

actually please don't buy krytox on ebay. for the prices i'm seeing, it's most likely cut with another substance. i can sell krytox directly, and i'll make an announcement shortly on who will be selling geekhackers krytox kits

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 11:23:32 »
Ahh, thanks.

Does anyone know where I can pick up Krytox now that the Geekhack store is closed?  I don't need much, right?

Try ebay for the Krytox.

actually please don't buy krytox on ebay. for the prices i'm seeing, it's most likely cut with another substance. i can sell krytox directly, and i'll make an announcement shortly on who will be selling geekhackers krytox kits

i know mechanicalkeyboards.com was asking about getting into lube the other day maybe they could sell it to, might reach a wider audience.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 11:33:10 »
Ahh, thanks.

Try ebay for the Krytox.

i know mechanicalkeyboards.com was asking about getting into lube the other day maybe they could sell it to, might reach a wider audience.

No... mkawa will buy all of the production and become the next lube-kingpin and corner the market.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:11:34 »
this thread shows modifying cherry switches is awesome. Now if I could just get my wife to think of this as a legit hobby........

Offline tbc

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 00:41:52 »

Around 95g afaik...

that's pretty close.   they're as heavy as hell.

but you're a silly duck if you intentionally bottom out on clears.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 00:43:29 »
Ahh, thanks.

Try ebay for the Krytox.

Thank god! I've been waiting for months. :)

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 10:33:13 »
Crap.  This thread just increased the number of spring/switch combinations I have to try.  Next up on my list are 55g whites, then 55g lubed vintage blacks, lubed vintage blacks with clear springs, greens stems with clear springs, and stock clears. 

Out of all the mx switches I have tried so far I love my unlubbed ergo clears (red springs) I have been using for a year or so.  They do seem to have broken in quite nicely.  A close second are reds.  I'm trying to find my favorite tactile combo (so far unlubbed ergo clears), linear (so far stock reds), and clicky (I have tried blues, jailhouse blues, and greens but didn't like any of them).  I do seem to prefer light switches but now that I know that clear springs are pretty light up to the actuation point I may have to give them a try. 

Is there a place to buy clear springs?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 15:02:14 »
You don't have to like clicky! Personally, I'm not a fan of blues or BS. Tactile and linear all the way!
I don't think there's a way to buy clear springs on their own. After I do the ergo clear mod on my filco, though, I might not need mine, in which case I'd happily send them to you.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 15:21:09 »

The thing about stock clears is that they have a significantly different force curve than most other Cherry springs. The "ramp" of stiffness is much stiffer. At the top of the stroke they're quite soft, but rapidly increase in stiffness as you depress the switch. IMO this gives them a much softer feel than the other Cherry switches.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 15:38:58 »
Other heavy switches, you mean, right? Because even before actuation they're much heavier than "MX light" switches (blues, browns, reds).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 15:53:06 »

The thing about stock clears is that they have a significantly different force curve than most other Cherry springs. The "ramp" of stiffness is much stiffer. At the top of the stroke they're quite soft, but rapidly increase in stiffness as you depress the switch. IMO this gives them a much softer feel than the other Cherry switches.

i wouldn't call that "significantly" different..

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 17:19:22 »
i wouldn't call that "significantly" different..

Tomato, Tomahto.

Other heavy switches, you mean, right? Because even before actuation they're much heavier than "MX light" switches (blues, browns, reds).

I would attribute that more to the increased tactility of the stem rather than the spring.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 17:25:47 »
i am a bottom out guy so i am going to get tired on cherry stock springs i think. hell my fingers get tired when i type on BS so i think clears are going to do the same to me. i dont know i will have to test but i think i might save myself sometime and finger pain by just modding the switches as soon as i get them. i already got a lube kit from originitive with krytox, 62g springs, tools needed for the mod, and stickers.  the only thing i lack is a switch tool which i hope to get with the titanium switch tool group buy (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54168.0).

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 19:00:07 »
You don't have to like clicky! Personally, I'm not a fan of blues or BS. Tactile and linear all the way!
I don't think there's a way to buy clear springs on their own. After I do the ergo clear mod on my filco, though, I might not need mine, in which case I'd happily send them to you.

Sweet!  pm sent with shipping address. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Comment

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 19:52:30 »

Sweet!  pm sent with shipping address.
Jumped on that opportunity!
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 19:31:51 »
Yeah until this thread I didn't know about the force curve of clear springs.  I like both blacks for their fast reset and reds for their lightness so clear springs sound perfect for a linear switch.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 20:03:04 »

Stock clears are pretty stiff. I have blues, blacks and clears and the stiffest, by far, is the clear.

And which one do you prefer the most?

I have reds and browns and thinking to try a board with either blues or clears.

Offline robertsig

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:03:07 »
What's the best way to remove/change the springs from a keyboard with the proper switches that you want to keep already in place?  I have a MX Clear based board already and don't want to mess with more than necessary.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:06:41 »
The springs lie inside the switches. If you have a pcb-mounted board or a plate that allows customization, you can lift off the top of the switch with a variety of tools (like binder clips or tweezers; check youtube for some vids on how to do this). If you have a normal plate-mounted board that doesn't allow for customization, you'll have to desolder everything in order to remove the switches and open them up.

Offline robertsig

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:25:04 »
I have a Keycool board.  How can I tell?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:28:56 »
What part of the switch should be above the plate to tell if it is moodable with no desoldering?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Why Ergo Clears?
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:34:07 »
What part of the switch should be above the plate to tell if it is moodable with no desoldering?

It's not a matter of how much of the switch is above the plate - they all sit at the same level. There would be cutouts in the plate on the sides of each switch that would allow the small clasps on the switch top to lift to the side and up.