Author Topic: Flexy Plate Material Opinions?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline SherlockBunny

Flexy Plate Material Opinions?
« on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:28:22 »
I’m still pretty new to the custom keyboard community and was wondering what the differences were between FR4, carbon fibre, polycarbonate, and POM plates in terms of sound and feel. I think I’d like a softer plate (my fingers hurt on an alu plate... I’m quite the heavy typist I guess) but I was wondering what it felt and sounded like to type on these plates. Let me know your experiences!

Just for reference, I’ll be using Alpacas (lubed and filmed) in an alu case with no sound dampening and Cherry profile keycaps (both ABS and PBT).
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2020, 22:32:50 by SherlockBunny »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Flexy Plate Material Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 02:51:40 »
PC is goated
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Jonnyswboy

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 20:06:02 »
PC is goated

Care to elaborate? Currently debating 4.75mm PC or Brass.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 20:14:19 »
flexy plate is silly.

if you want dampening, adding something soft with give under a rigid keyboard is the same as using flexy material for the plate.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 23:54:53 »
flexy plate is silly.

if you want dampening, adding something soft with give under a rigid keyboard is the same as using flexy material for the plate.

but it's not for dampening, it's to stabilize plate-mount switches while maintaining a flexible, pcb-mount feel

PC is goated

Care to elaborate? Currently debating 4.75mm PC or Brass.

polycarb is just a great flexible and cheap material for plates. even though brass is comparatively much softer than aluminum, for a plate they're both in a different category from polycarb/acrylic in terms of softness. I also haven't used those ultra-thick plates like you're looking at, but I'd assume that's going to lose you a lot of a the flexibility of a standard thickness plate
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2020, 23:59:23 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 12:44:28 »
Check that you have good mounting method. Alu on top mount feels a lot nicer and even than tray mount.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!