Author Topic: Speculations for 2013 Mouse Updates  (Read 6425 times)

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Speculations for 2013 Mouse Updates
« on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:27:20 »
Right now I've got my Naga (oldest edition) and I am starting to yearn for an update. The side buttons were always much too hard to press; it feels like the entire number pad is a molded plastic sheet with rubber domes underneath it. I am tempted to get a g700, but I feel like mouse companies will come out with something new this year. Am I the only one that feels like current mice seem really outdated?

Any guesses or hopes on what will come of 2013? I have so many questions. Maybe Razer will add mechanical switches to the Naga like they did with the Orbweaver? Or maybe Razer will give the option of hyperfast-scrolling? Why is the RGB LED technology restricted to the Mamba (EDIT: and Lachesis)? Will Microsoft Darkfield technology ever be good enough for gaming? When will Elecom come out with a new Scope Node? Why didn't Corsair come out with a hybrid mouse?

Any thoughts on new developments? What is the future of mice is coming to?

...or maybe I am just hoping for too much innovation in one year. x_x
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:41:13 by Lastpilot »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Speculations for 2013 Mouse Updates
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:33:28 »
Razer Lachesis has multicolour LEDs, just FYI.

Personally I'm hoping for a successor to the G9x, which will most likely come. Also hoping for flawless laser sensors and more use of optical in high-end mice, although that's probably not going to happen.

Even more realistic hope for 2013: Razer will realise how bad Synapse 2.0 is and go back to using regular drivers and on-board memory again.

More realistic predictions? I suspect the quest for more dpi will go on as strong as ever and keep plaguing mice that would have been fantastic otherwise.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:40:20 »
Ugh, I was king of dreading a DPI-war, but I suppose it make sense since people are using higher and higher resolutions for displays. I wonder how 4k will affect DPI demand in mice. People might feel forced to upgrade mice if they want to join the 4k club. But then again I guess if you are in the market for that kind of display then a new mouse is a drop in the bucket.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:46:13 »
As far as I know the current dpi range is more than adequate for the current resolutions, although I haven't done the calculations on it. But considering the fact that many gamers, pro and others, swear by the 400 dpi IMO I find it hard to believe that anyone needs more than what most high-end laser mice can offer today.

Offline llovro

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:33:45 »
I'm waiting for feenix nascita. I hope it comes out soon D:

Offline bear95

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 14:06:17 »
I'm personally waiting for bst mice.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 14:34:43 »
bst Aurora Beta Sample, although the mouse won't really be something for me.

I'm waiting for feenix nascita. I hope it comes out soon D:
really, that glorified OEM Mouse?
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:22:18 »
I'm waiting for the next gen G9X also  :)

As for the DPI war, I also think it's stupid because I use 1920 x 1200 resolution and 1200 DPI is sufficient for me.  I guess they also do it so they have excuse to jack up the price for features that we'll never use.  >___>

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:25:13 »
The only thing I want to see is MX Revolution 2.0. Same body, buttons, wheels with improved sensor 800/1600dpi and wired charging/wireless mode like the g700. Unfortuneatly I speculate it won't happen.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 17:00:19 »
The only mouse I was hoping for came out in 2012.. I'm waiting to see if anyone has a worthy competitor, but CES seemed to indicate rather the opposite. A lot of companies running downmarket in the extreme.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 17:32:47 »
The only thing I want to see is MX Revolution 2.0. Same body, buttons, wheels with improved sensor 800/1600dpi and wired charging/wireless mode like the g700. Unfortuneatly I speculate it won't happen.
You read my mind, seriously, that is exactly what I was thinking, including the "won't happen" part.

I do hope they do something though, the G700 is due for an update.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 17:39:02 »
You read my mind, seriously, that is exactly what I was thinking, including the "won't happen" part.

I do hope they do something though, the G700 is due for an update.

I hate my mx-revolution... I hate it soooo much.... DIAF.... also a bit on the heavy side, and the side scroll wheel is a waste of space, rather have buttons..

The top wheel is the worst part, just like on all the new logis, g9x, etc... that wheel is terribly imprecise...

This is why the G400 is currently the ideal logitech mouse.. It has everything that's "win", no extras that just get in the way..

The only way they could improve the g400 is perhaps a few more buttons, and lighten it further..

Also, a THINNER and lighter carbon fiber weaved cord... oh yea, that would be shizzle..

Maybe also apply a thin teflon coating to the first 1 feet of the cord right outside the mouse.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 18:34:03 »
I hate my mx-revolution... I hate it soooo much.... DIAF.... also a bit on the heavy side, and the side scroll wheel is a waste of space, rather have buttons..
Cords = instant lose.

I destroy mice cords, and when not beating them up, I'm fighting them.

Only if it promised to vacuum, do the dishes and clean the toilets, would I consider going back to corded mice.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 18:59:18 »
I could see the following improving the Naga;
-use the braiding CM Storm uses for their USB cables. MUCH more tough, and anti tangle. Just exponentially better. All my current Razer corded mice, the ends have started fraying.
-rubber grips like on the Taipan. They feel sooooo nice.
-include extra mouse feet with the mouse. Ditch the "training" nubs
-make the keys programmable! This way I can use them for macros like "mia" in League of Legends or "LOL OWNED :))" in Counter Strike.
-use the same sensor setup as the Taipan. Why should precise cursor control be exclusive to only one mouse, while the rest of the mice get ****ty, flawed sensors?
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 03:52:47 »
-use the same sensor setup as the Taipan. Why should precise cursor control be exclusive to only one mouse, while the rest of the mice get ****ty, flawed sensors?
Preferring the S9818 over a PTE is ok but the S9818 is certainly flawed. ;)
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Speculations for 2013 Mouse Updates
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:19:45 »
Right now I've got my Naga (oldest edition) and I am starting to yearn for an update. The side buttons were always much too hard to press; it feels like the entire number pad is a molded plastic sheet with rubber domes underneath it. I am tempted to get a g700, but I feel like mouse companies will come out with something new this year. Am I the only one that feels like current mice seem really outdated?

Any guesses or hopes on what will come of 2013? I have so many questions. Maybe Razer will add mechanical switches to the Naga like they did with the Orbweaver? Or maybe Razer will give the option of hyperfast-scrolling? Why is the RGB LED technology restricted to the Mamba (EDIT: and Lachesis)? Will Microsoft Darkfield technology ever be good enough for gaming? When will Elecom come out with a new Scope Node? Why didn't Corsair come out with a hybrid mouse?

Any thoughts on new developments? What is the future of mice is coming to?

...or maybe I am just hoping for too much innovation in one year. x_x
they do have a mechanical naga

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:20:23 »
just use the G700, i think i might actually prefer it over the mx revolution

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:24:29 »
I don't think Razer could add hyper-scroll wheels to their mouse if they wanted to, as I believe Logitech currently holds the patent on it, and it's a pretty distinct feature. Besides, you really don't want those kind of wheels for gaming.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 10:29:30 »
I don't think Razer could add hyper-scroll wheels to their mouse if they wanted to, as I believe Logitech currently holds the patent on it, and it's a pretty distinct feature. Besides, you really don't want those kind of wheels for gaming.
Unless you're a scumbag, some FPS games has no delay on the fire command on semi weapons, bind fire to scroll, boom. Although most games do prevent this, and even if they don't the hyperscroll is often too fast to be of any use.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:19:21 »
I don't see any reason why they would, but if Razer came out with a trackball it would be an awesome gaming device.  Since they came out with a mechanical keyboard it might be possible.  My main concern is  what the hell will they name it?  Since mice are named after snakes, keyboards are named after spiders, what should the trackball be named after?  It could be a turtle (not the most vicious except snapping ones), armadillo (rolls up into a ball), beetle (strongest type of insect but Razer already did them for mousepads), mantis (strong predatory insect, eats mice for breakfast),   scorpion (venomous) or perhaps another small animal.  In any case, it would probably be a laser trackball (like the CST LaserTrac), possibly with interchangeable balls of different weights.  It would also be cool with adjustable DPI and programmable buttons.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:25:53 »
since i own one and i love it, i hope there will be an asus Gx900 update, and same goes for the R.A.T series ;)
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 February 2013, 14:09:59 by ishumprod »
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 11:36:34 »
they do have a mechanical naga
:O

*does google search* Ah I see that the Hex has switches, is that the only one that does? Shouldn't the feature be included with the new non-Hex Naga's by now? Or maybe there just isn't enough room to implement it. I got the Naga to replace a numpad, so I never really paid any attention to the Hex.

since i own one and i love it, i hope there will be an asus G9x update, and same goes for the R.A.T series ;)
They are coming out with a R.A.T M (m for mobile) and M.O.U.S series (pretty much a R.A.T without the extra parts).

http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=263

But yeah, I also hope that the R.A.T will get an update.

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 12:56:24 »
wow, did not see those :o 
i thought the whole team was around the crazy keyboard the made :)

edit: after check, two funny things : the RAT 9 is 20bucks over what i paid for it when i bought it ( a year ago or so)

an it is not said it the RATM have little finger grips ( wich i love on RAt 9 )
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2013, 13:01:18 by ishumprod »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 16:41:45 »
just use the G700, i think i might actually prefer it over the mx revolution
I have both.
From a function perspective, the G700 is better, however the Revolution used better plastics (G700 looks cheap), lacks useless extra buttons, and feels better in the hand. I miss the auto scroll as well.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 12:41:06 »
I like MX revolution shape better, it is more comfortable to me. Also I don't want to live without the thumb wheel, I use the hell out of that.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 15:09:33 »
I'm all excited about the Rollermouse Red.

http://ergo.contour-design.com/products/rollermouse-red
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline coherentleverage

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 04:57:33 »

Why? That things looks plain weird.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 06:11:23 »

No, it looks smexy. At least in alu, I might have to get me one.

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 06:44:27 »

is it really worth the money ?

and it looks just snobby IMO.. i don't think you can get accurate with this, but yeah it sure realxes arms and hands

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 07:16:46 »

is it really worth the money ?

and it looks just snobby IMO.. i don't think you can get accurate with this, but yeah it sure realxes arms and hands
It's not about accuracy, it's about comfort and ergonomics. It's meant for office use, not for gaming. I haven't tried one yet, but I'd assume it's plenty accurate for anything that isn't gaming.
And from what I've heard it's well worth the money.

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 07:24:54 »
okey, thanks for the answer =)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 12:30:15 »
Rollermouse is great for comfort and ergonomics. The price is a little steep for the build quality, but since it allows to use both hands in a comfortable position, I have a lot less hand pain. Sometimes you can snag one used off eBay.  The Rollermouse Red seems like a total step up in durability compared to their other products. An aluminum mouse! We'll see.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing