Author Topic: Ascending to Ultrawide  (Read 6196 times)

Offline BazzerB_89

Ascending to Ultrawide
« on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 07:13:30 »
I'm looking at making the jump to an ultrawide monitor soon, as my current PG279Q has, for me at least, run its course. One monitor that has peaked my interest lately is the Xiaomi Mi Surface 34". However, I do have some questions about it if I may.

What has your experience been like in terms of shipping and daily use?
Does anyone in the UK have one? If so, what has your experience been like?
As I have an RTX 2080 Super, will it work with G-Sync/Adaptive Sync ok (whether officially or not)?

If I have any other questions, I'll edit this OP.

Cheers for any feedback in advance

Offline WholesomeDucky

• lemme get uhhhhhhhhhhhhh bread
Re: Ascending to Ultrawide
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 07:31:56 »
Ultrawides can be wonderful. The only concern with gaming is that some games STILL (for some reason) suck at supporting it, but even in the worst case scenario, you just play at 16:9 with black bars on the sides so it's not so bad.

As for that specific ultrawide, it doesn't look bad. It's a FreeSync compatible display, I'm not sure if it will work with nVidia cards or not. A quick Google Search doesn't bring up any instances of people saying it's possible, but it also doesn't bring up any results of people asking. You might try posting in reddit's r/monitors and see if someone who has one can test it for you.
12 years of spending money on typing

"Name checks out" -Kustoms, 2020

Discord:wholesomeducky
Inbox always open, for whatever reason.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 08:00:35 »
For ultrawides, 5040x2160 should be the minimum resolution if they're doing 21:9, to get pixel perfect 3840x2160

A 3840 width 21:9 monitor is imho too limiting.

The MSI Prestige PS341WU has that, but It's an IPS, so movies will look crummy.  No perfect ultra wide monitor out there.

For 16:9, the nearly ideal PC display would be the new LG CX Oleds.  Buh, I'm still suspicious of their burn-in claims.  And you'd have to set it quite low ~130 nits to be under the ABL limiter.

LMCL is due this year, so that's gonna be the game changer for PC.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 08:24:36 »
For ultrawides, 5040x2160 should be the minimum resolution if they're doing 21:9, to get pixel perfect 3840x2160

A 3840 width 21:9 monitor is imho too limiting.

The MSI Prestige PS341WU has that, but It's an IPS, so movies will look crummy.  No perfect ultra wide monitor out there.

For 16:9, the nearly ideal PC display would be the new LG CX Oleds.  Buh, I'm still suspicious of their burn-in claims.  And you'd have to set it quite low ~130 nits to be under the ABL limiter.

LMCL is due this year, so that's gonna be the game changer for PC.

I looked into LG CX models, looking good, you think burn-in issue might be high?

What is that LMCL?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 09:35:55 »
PC/Games UI have too many static elements and that causes extremely uneven wear for OLED, which leads to the burn-in.

LMCL blows OLED out of the water in terms of HDR performance, and it has comparable black lvls. And it won't burn in.  Light Modulating Cell Layer.   It's dual LCD layer.

OLED still has wider viewing angles.

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 04:54:17 »
I looked into LG CX models, looking good, you think burn-in issue might be high?
well OLEDs have a fairly short lifespan compared to normal LEDs, the OLEDs that are on more than the others will wear (burn) faster, and emit less and less light, it is the normal life cycle of LEDs and that is what leads to burn in on OLEDs like old plasma and CRT (anything where the light emitting part is actually creating the image will have burn in pretty much)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline BazzerB_89

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 17:10:18 »
Ultrawides can be wonderful. The only concern with gaming is that some games STILL (for some reason) suck at supporting it, but even in the worst case scenario, you just play at 16:9 with black bars on the sides so it's not so bad.

As for that specific ultrawide, it doesn't look bad. It's a FreeSync compatible display, I'm not sure if it will work with nVidia cards or not. A quick Google Search doesn't bring up any instances of people saying it's possible, but it also doesn't bring up any results of people asking. You might try posting in reddit's r/monitors and see if someone who has one can test it for you.

I did do a bit of digging since, and I've found out that the CU34G2X from AOC uses the same panel as the one from Xiaomi (which is from Samsung). According to a review from Hardware Canucks, the AOC monitor is G-Sync Compatable via DisplayPort 1.4.
The main difference is that the Xiaomi doesn't have the "gaming aesthetic."

Edit: This panel seems to be used in a couple of monitors (the Nixeus EDG34 being one of them).
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 July 2020, 17:28:11 by BazzerB_89 »

Offline treefo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 19:36:28 »
I loved my ultrawide. I moved on to a 2560x1440 144hz, still miss 3440x1440. Someday, I'll pick up that AOC ultrawide

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 00:09:15 »
For speed purposes, fewer pixels, and smaller will always be better, because crossing larger area makes strobe synchronization worse, so the size impacts motion clarity.

Probably the Ultimate PRO gaming monitors <non-OLED> will be capped around 27" for a long time.

Oled still does not have the motion clarity of Strobed LCDs yet even though they can be sort of  fast and big..