Author Topic: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4c - Terrible typing feeling?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline jvrodrigues`

Das Keyboard Ultimate 4c - Terrible typing feeling?
« on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 06:31:58 »

This is my Das Keyboard Ultimate 4c. This keyboard was bought in 2016 and features an aluminium body with gateron browns and a custom set of pbt keycaps.

The keyboard itself holds a special place in my heart as it was my very first mech and ever since I have expanded my collection which also includes another 2 keyboards with cherry browns and kaihl box browns neither of which feels anywhere close to what my das keyboard feels like.

It's difficult to explain the typing feeling, its almost as if the keys feel stuck which makes for an inconsistent feel and actuation point between the different keys and the press culminates in a metallic sounding (and frankly annoying) clack.

Besides switching the keycaps (and it felt just as awkward if not more with the original keycaps) I didn't do or try to do anything about the keyboard.

Has any other das keyboard or gateron browns user experienced a similar thing? Can someone recommend possible fixes for this?

Thanks in advance

Offline Maledicted

Re: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4c - Terrible typing feeling?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:16:19 »
I have the full size version of this board. If it is anything like mine, it has Costar stabilizers (this seems to be like garlic is to vampires to linear and tactile guys). They're rattly, but oh so consistent and smooth without any modification. Additionally, boards with exposed aluminum plates or casings tend to ping. It is no coincidence that I have put box navies into two such boards (a Corsair K65 and my Das Pro 4). They really bring out the full pingy potential of such boards. Your post made me look into the specific marketing of the board and found this humorous:

Maybe the bottom of the case is "resonance-free", somehow. That doesn't seem to help with ping since my Das pings about just as much as my K65.

I don't do that whole silencing thing, but some people stuff their cases with foam, neoprene, etc (I would imagine something static free would be best). There seem to be plenty of opinions on this if you look around.

As far as the switches go, I couldn't comment myself. I don't particularly like tactile switches and don't have any complete boards with Gateron browns in them. The few I have in a tester felt pretty normal to me for an MX clone.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:20:03 by Maledicted »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:18:32 »
Desolder the board, find some better switches, lube them as well as the stabilizers.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:21:37 »
Desolder the board, find some better switches, lube them as well as the stabilizers.

Is there anything particularly wrong with Gateron browns, in general?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:26:19 »

They are scratchy, rattily, not tactile, too light and poo to type on. There are some people who like them, and that's fine, but the vast majority of the community agrees with me.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 09:35:16 »

They are scratchy, rattily, not tactile, too light and poo to type on. There are some people who like them, and that's fine, but the vast majority of the community agrees with me.

Seem a lot nicer than MX brown and Outemu to me in my tester, not that that necessary says much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Every single board in your signature looks great, by the way. Especially that F107.

Offline jvrodrigues`

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 10:14:27 »

The key thing I forgot to mention is that I have tried other brown switch das keyboard boards and they feel much better than this one, its uncanny.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2021, 10:19:03 by jvrodrigues` »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 11:04:14 »

Seem a lot nicer than MX brown and Outemu to me in my tester, not that that necessary says much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Every single board in your signature looks great, by the way. Especially that F107.

IMO, gat browns are no better than cherry or outemu.

Thanks! Grey is an F, white is an M.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 13:44:16 »
Brown has always been like this.

Gotta break them in before they become smoother.