Author Topic: How many of you kittens do the following:  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Keytrun

How many of you kittens do the following:
« on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 18:43:26 »
1) Type completely without looking
2) Use the proper hand positioning (upright curved as opposed to laying flat with base of hand lazy on desk / rest)
3) Use proper fingers on proper keys
4) Keep your keyboard flat vs angled
5) Kittens?

My answers:
1) I type completely without looking
2) My wrists and hands are always upright when typing. I don't keep my hands lazy on the board.
3) I had some major surgeries back in 2005/2006 that left my right hand pretty much useless for the better part of a year and a half. During that time I typed almost entirely with my left hand. As it got better I was able to use my thumb, index, and middle finger on my right hand again so for the past several years I've been typing with ~one and a half hands. My weird style of typing had me basically reaching my left hand to the keys that my index finger of the opposite side would normally type while my right index finger started where my middle finger should. I've used that style for a long time now and can type over 100 WPM with it. I actually now have the use of my ring and pinkie fingers on my right hand and have been retraining myself to type properly. I'm slower with it, but I'm forcing myself to do it.

TL;DR I'm faster with my own style but I'm retraining myself to use proper placement.

4) I keep my keyboard angled. Is one supposed to be more "ergonomic" than the other?
5) http://i.imgur.com/8JRoI.jpg my babies!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: How many of you kittens do the following:
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 18:46:34 »
Too much to read.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 18:51:22 »
1) Nope.
2) Nope.
3) Nope.
4) Yes!
5) Not for breakfast.

:)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 19:00:55 »
I feel that every question deserves a question.

1) Who doesn't?
2) Are you serious? 
3) Who puts their fingers on the wrong keys?
4) Do you have flat fingers or curved?
5) Does a blind dog chase a cat?
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 19:02:48 »
1) yep
2) Of course
3) No doubt
4) Angled
5) Ive got a dog

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 19:08:20 »
1) No. I'd like to partially blame on the fact that I am now switching between three different layouts: ANSI/ISO/JIS. Using linux and loving command line I find it a little hard to learn where to best hit certain keys at the right time.
2) No, but I was advised by HaaTa that it is best to raise them for some good reasons. I also have an acrylic palm rest which makes it even more tempting for me to place the palms of my hands on rather than not making good use of them.
3) Not always, again partially because of the fact that I am switching between three layouts and at times I got to admit I suck at using right pinky finger for what it was meant for.
4) No. I have had the habit of automatically putting the legs of my keyboards to work unless if one of the legs is broken which would force me to put my keyboard flat as it is on the table.
5) Not allowed to have pets at home, I was tested to be somewhat allergic (mildly) to cats. Also I am more of a canidae man than felidae. That does mean I have qualms over one's preference to side with felidae as I have already met a fair few.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline kolonelkadat

• Force Project X
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 19:15:09 »
no to all. only my pointer and middle finger on my left hand are typically on the typing surface. its just more comfy to have my hands a bit farther apart.

I can look wherever I want since I type from my brain(not a sheet paper), so there has never been any real onus to learn touch typing. That said I _can_ touch type, but only if I close my eyes, tilt my head back, and stick my tongue out.
"Obviously, windows are central to Windows. But what is a window?"

Offline Jack

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 19:20:56 »
1) Always.
2) Yes, when I'm playing TypeRacer or some such thing, but when gaming or casually chatting I tend to push the keyboard back and rest my wrists.
3) Probably, I guess. I think I'm consistent about it anyway, which might not be so advantageous as being able to move as needed.
4) Yes.
5) http://jack.is/visual/kitty/smallpretzel.jpg

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 20:26:03 »
You people get that #4 is not a yes or no question, right? Lol

Also, one of the biggest issues I've been having while relearning to type completely with proper finger placement is the "b" and "y" key. I keep pressing y with my left and and b with my right, when I'm supposed to do the opposite. I also have a bad habit of not using the correct shift key. I'm pretty sure that I'm supposed to use the shift key opposite the hand typing the letter, but I keep using the shift key on the same hand that I'm typing the letter with! I'm literally backspacing every time I make a hand position mistake. Almost every b in this post has been backspaced and retyped with the correct key. I'm starting to get better with the y key but for whatever reason I just can't get the damn b on the correct hand! Its driving me crazy!

Also - you all need much better answers to question 5.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 20:38:42 »
I do nothing right, but I love kittens.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 20:48:08 »

Offline Tony

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 20:57:29 »
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. No.
5. No.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 21:11:07 »
I don't really type without looking, although I am practicing. I only look so I can position my hands.
I have a two year old kitten.

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 21:25:43 »
yep, uh huh, yes sir, mmm hmmm, puppies!

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 21:31:44 »
1. Yes
2. Hell no
3. Really hell no.
4. Hell hell no, I increase the standard tilts from the max usually given, either with custom supports or hi fi cones stuck to the back. typically about 2.5 inches lift on the back for me.
5. Not any more, now I look to something older :P
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Jack

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 21:33:14 »

Oops. Uh, flat.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 21:36:22 »
Y
Y
Y
N
N
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 21:40:46 »
N
N
N
N
Y

Meh.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 21:49:50 »
1. Yes
2. Raised
3. Yes
4. I use the keyboard stands on the back

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 22:00:55 »
1. Tuna
2. Tuna
3. Halibut
4. my typing apparatus is a fish.
5. WOOF ::EDIT:: CHIRP
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 22:01:58 »
1. Tuna
2. Tuna
3. Halibut
4. my typing apparatus is a fish.
5. WOOF ::EDIT:: CHIRP

go home binge you're drunk
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 22:05:59 »

And sharks!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 22:33:56 »
1) Nope
2) Nope
3) Nope
4) Depends on the boards size
5) Yes?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 22:57:55 »

Also, one of the biggest issues I've been having while relearning to type completely with proper finger placement is the "b" and "y" key. I keep pressing y with my left and and b with my right, when I'm supposed to do the opposite. I also have a bad habit of not using the correct shift key. I'm pretty sure that I'm supposed to use the shift key opposite the hand typing the letter, but I keep using the shift key on the same hand that I'm typing the letter with! I'm literally backspacing every time I make a hand position mistake. Almost every b in this post has been backspaced and retyped with the correct key. I'm starting to get better with the y key but for whatever reason I just can't get the damn b on the correct hand! Its driving me crazy!

Also - you all need much better answers to question 5.

I thought it was like yes I keep my keyboard flat, or no I have my keyboard angled.

Offline Jack

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 23:04:11 »
"How many of you … keep your keyboard flat vs. angled?"

If we take it to mean "as opposed to" then "yes" or "I do" seem like valid answers. Or we could take the other route: Yes, I keep my keyboard flat or angled.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 23:10:31 »

You really have to be careful putting keyboards and kittens together.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 04:10:38 »
(Attachment Link)

That poor cat, I wonder what has the cat been through. Just look at the eyes!  :))
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 04:47:02 »
2) Use the proper hand positioning (upright curved as opposed to laying flat with base of hand lazy on desk / rest)
5) Kittens?

Yes
No
No
No
Nao!

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 05:02:22 »
1. Yes
2. Yes, but not always
3. Yes
4. Yes, but not always
5. Yes, always - they're awesome wrist rests:

I switch positions from flat to angled when I lean back. I spend about 12-14 hours in front of computer and it's like 20-40% sitting straight upright only. Changing position is always good :)
Also nice friendly advice for fellows here on this forum, when you consider getting yourself a fancy keyboard, do yourself a favour and learn to type properly, this will help you more than this keyboard.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 November 2013, 05:12:25 by czarek »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 05:17:08 »
5) Kittens?

1) Nope - most of the time but I have to look for passwords - even if I'm using blank caps I find myself looking for passwords
2) Nope
3) Nope - I'd like to learn but I can type fairly quickly (~60wpm) as I am at the minute
4) Nope - raised all the way!
5) Nope - would like to but allergic...

So to conclude - Nope :thumb:
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 08:15:28 »
(Attachment Link)

Correct me if I'm wrong - This is Elton John without the big glasses... Right?

(My kitten is MIA since 2 months. I miss him... Was  such a  nice cat)

1) Type completely without looking - Main cluster and navigation Yes (No to function row, num pad and all the ALT, CTRL, FN combos)
2) Use the proper hand positioning - Heavy typing tasks - Yes, ( No for casual typing tasks -I got a palm rest and it is pretty high)
3) Use proper fingers on proper keys - Yes
4) Keep your keyboard flat vs angled - Flat
5) Kittens? No but mourning :-(

Pic taken before I go LCD
46485-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 December 2013, 09:36:08 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 08:20:28 »
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.
4) Angled? Eww.
5) Cat? Yes.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 09:06:13 »
1. Yes
2. Yes, with elevated wrists.
3. Yes
4. Yes. I am using a zero angle board right now.
5. <3 kittahs

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 09:25:58 »
I do touch type, most of the time with my hands floating above the keyboard. My fingering technique is more or less standard, there are only small adjustments because of short pinkies.

I never use the feet on non-split keyboards, but I'm going to use my ergodox angled, once I get a new stand.

At last but not least, I do have a cat, although it's stupid and annoying most of the time.