Author Topic: Katushkin's plea for help upgrading his old PC  (Read 9218 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Katushkin's plea for help upgrading his old PC
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 12:30:52 »
I'm pretty sure I've still got an 1150 socket cooler from an i5 as well, so I might use that as a "stock" cooler too.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 12:42:53 »
I'm pretty sure I've still got an 1150 socket cooler from an i5 as well, so I might use that as a "stock" cooler too.

If it's the one that came with the i5, it's indistinguishable from the stock cooler for any 1150. That's why they are stock coolers. Every 1150 processor gets one.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 12:44:38 »

If it's the one that came with the i5, it's indistinguishable from the stock cooler for any 1150. That's why they are stock coolers. Every 1150 processor gets one.

The height differs with the heat sinks though, I have a stock i7 and i5 cooler unused but the i7 is pretty old.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 22:15:30 »
No.. if you get the Goku3258 for an $800 build..  You're throwing money down the toilet..  you'll be cpu bottlenecked for whatever GFX card you get in the 150-200 range..

Again.. for an $800 budget.. you're really putting money in the WRONG PLACE by going itx..

if you're DEAD SET on itx...   get a $150 itx z87 which is usually cheaper than similar quality z97...

and get the i7 4690k..

Then figure it out from there..    You can probably get the motherboard Used as well.. many people ditch itx once they realize that it's just fun to look at, but horribly impractical later on..

Media Storage Build with Light Gaming.

A quad core processor would be utterly wasted.

Ok.. understand that he's spending $800  Regardless of what the computer is being used for

You don't get ANY performance by making the computer pretty..  You only want to do that when your budget exceeds  $1400..

The reason is..  any amount less than $1400,  you could be buying performance instead...

It's like the people who put $800 rims on their $1000 civic..   WAHT IS WRONG WITH U..

instead of the rims, you could get bolt on turbo, new exhaust maybe..

---- at least with the Car, I could understand ok, so you live in the hood, and can pick up girls in a civic.. --fine, get the rims

but a Pretty Computer.. No matter where you live.. it's not gonna w00 any female..

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 23:03:57 »
Yeah, but to continue the car analogy, your idea is the same as getting a Mustang Cobra and adding a turbocharger, then giving it to someone who only drives it to pick up and drop off their kids from school and drive to and from work, with the occasional night out at the movies. It's wasted potential. Better to have the Civic that will cost FAR less and accomplish the same task.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 00:59:49 »
After reading through the recommendations already noted, may I suggest this?  Since you will not be overclocking, get the standard version of the Pentium and pair it with a B85 mobo (make sure it has enough sata ports - the entry boards only have 4 and 2 of those are sata2).  As for cases, I highly recommend against a cube case unless you have a shelf to put it on.  They take up a ton of desk space.  Also, as much as I want to like the Fractal cases, I just can't take the build quality. I have owned a couple of them and they both had issues with cross threaded screws and flimsy panels. 

CPU:  41.99  http://www.ebuyer.com/629969-intel-pentium-dual-core-g3240-3-10ghz-socket-1150-3mb-l3-cache-retail-bx80646g3240
Mobo:  44.39  http://www.ebuyer.com/630800-gigabyte-ga-b85m-d2v-socket-1150-vga-dvi-hd-audio-micro-atx-motherboard-ga-b85m-d2v

keep your memory, hdds.  This plus a 750Ti 2gb (my recommendation for GPU) and a gold rated 500w psu and you are good to go. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 03:31:44 »
Yeah, but to continue the car analogy, your idea is the same as getting a Mustang Cobra and adding a turbocharger, then giving it to someone who only drives it to pick up and drop off their kids from school and drive to and from work, with the occasional night out at the movies. It's wasted potential. Better to have the Civic that will cost FAR less and accomplish the same task.

Yes but with the turbocharge cobra..  you get a "turbocharged cobra"..

If you buy a civic with rims.. which is exactly what the g3258 + itx is gonna be.. after spending $800 on so little power..

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 03:35:39 »
After reading through the recommendations already noted, may I suggest this?  Since you will not be overclocking, get the standard version of the Pentium and pair it with a B85 mobo (make sure it has enough sata ports - the entry boards only have 4 and 2 of those are sata2).  As for cases, I highly recommend against a cube case unless you have a shelf to put it on.  They take up a ton of desk space.  Also, as much as I want to like the Fractal cases, I just can't take the build quality. I have owned a couple of them and they both had issues with cross threaded screws and flimsy panels. 

CPU:  41.99  http://www.ebuyer.com/629969-intel-pentium-dual-core-g3240-3-10ghz-socket-1150-3mb-l3-cache-retail-bx80646g3240
Mobo:  44.39  http://www.ebuyer.com/630800-gigabyte-ga-b85m-d2v-socket-1150-vga-dvi-hd-audio-micro-atx-motherboard-ga-b85m-d2v

keep your memory, hdds.  This plus a 750Ti 2gb (my recommendation for GPU) and a gold rated 500w psu and you are good to go.

Both me and a friend of mine have got Fractal R4s, and other than his front headphone port breaking which was RMA'd very quickly, neither of us have had any problems. As for the shape, it's going to be media storage so more than likely stored away somewhere it can't be seen in a cupboard or something, and I think I will find more luck getting a cube one to fit in a cupboard than a standard tower shape. I'm not sure about the placement yet, but it's definitely not going on the desk.

I am keeping an eye on SATA connections, I really don't want to be left short on that front.

If you buy a civic with rims.. which is exactly what the g3258 + itx is gonna be.. after spending $800 on so little power..

I'm not getting an i7. I haven't even got an i7 in my new gaming rig because there isn't really any point. I don't want to run 4K max resolution 3D Crysis 3. I'm playing dota 2 on a 22 inch monitor once every other week.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 03:42:12 »
no one said u should get the i7.. i7 is honestly not even in the $800 budget if you include a graphics card..

I also don't see why you NEED to put storage in "this computer"..

if you can just put drives in your old one..

If you really want to get a g3258... I'm not sure if it's gonna be a good deal in the UK.. but in the US, we're looking at  ---z97 mobo + g3258 for $100 out the door @ microcenter AND online..

That's the deal most people get.. if you're paying $150 total or even $200 for g3258 + mobo.. that's seriously not a good deal when you factoring the rest of the computer costs. .

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 10:32:40 »
I am keeping an eye on SATA connections, I really don't want to be left short on that front.

Well, based on the OP and suggestions, we're looking at 4 HDDs, an SSD, and an ODD (with the potential for more HDDs). That's six SATA ports.

There are plenty of mATX LGA1150 mobos that support six SATA connections, but only two that support more (the ASUS Maximus VI Gene at $170 and the ASUS Maximus VII Gene at $200). The issue is size. There simply isn't enough room to put more.

Basically, here are your choices:
1) Stick with the six-port mobo and add a PCI to SATA card (which will give you, at most, six extra ports, but most often only four)
2) Go with the eight-port mobo and add a PCI to SATA card
3) Swallow your pride and desire for an SFF media storage computer and go up to an ATX motherboard, which has more SATA Ports on average (some have as many as ten, which really opens up your expansion capabilities when coupled with a PCI to SATA card.

An i5 is considered to be the top gaming CPU because it can handle any game you throw at it and the cost is manageable for nearly everyone who builds computers. This is why most people recommend it over the i7 for gaming.

Now, the G3258 is much better than you'd like to think, tp4... It comes unlocked, which means that overclocking is possible, and it has been clocked up to a stable 4.7GHz with 40-60 degree load temps, which when you consider its base clock of 3.2GHz, that's an increase of 50%, which is phenomenal. That's like taking an i7-4790K and OCing it up to a stable 6GHz. Plus, the 3258 has one of the best per-thread performances of any processor out there. Granted, it may not be designed for high end gaming (an i5 is better than it for gaming purposes) but it will MORE than fit the bill.

no one said u should get the i7.. i7 is honestly not even in the $800 budget if you include a graphics card..

I also don't see why you NEED to put storage in "this computer"..

if you can just put drives in your old one..

You put media storage... and ANY long term storage, really, in a separate chassis (like a home server) so that if your main rig takes a **** on you, your long term storage is still accessible and safe from whatever happened to the main rig.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 11:05:50 »

Well, based on the OP and suggestions, we're looking at 4 HDDs, an SSD, and an ODD (with the potential for more HDDs). That's six SATA ports.

There are plenty of mATX LGA1150 mobos that support six SATA connections, but only two that support more (the ASUS Maximus VI Gene at $170 and the ASUS Maximus VII Gene at $200). The issue is size. There simply isn't enough room to put more.

Basically, here are your choices:
1) Stick with the six-port mobo and add a PCI to SATA card (which will give you, at most, six extra ports, but most often only four)
2) Go with the eight-port mobo and add a PCI to SATA card
3) Swallow your pride and desire for an SFF media storage computer and go up to an ATX motherboard, which has more SATA Ports on average (some have as many as ten, which really opens up your expansion capabilities when coupled with a PCI to SATA card.

Well yeah, at the moment I'm sat at 6 and I don't need any more, but for expansion you are right, I would need more a PCI to SATA card. FML.

I reckon I could stick with just the 6 ports for now tbh... Any more and I will fork out for a card if I need to.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 13:49:21 »

This guy will fit in most mini ITX cases (the ones with support for extended min ITX AKA all the ones with 2 pci slots) and has support for 12 sata3 drives and 2 more sata2 ones
http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=E3C224D4I-14S#

That's for server use but asrock has done some really stupid things with drives. If you want a larger MB, here's one with 22 sata3 ports:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme11ac/

I don't think either of these are ideal for katushkin's use case though.

Well yeah, at the moment I'm sat at 6 and I don't need any more, but for expansion you are right, I would need more a PCI to SATA card. FML.

I reckon I could stick with just the 6 ports for now tbh... Any more and I will fork out for a card if I need to.
Fortunately they're super cheap as long as you don't need great RAID / cache support. Unfortunately it won't fit in your mini itX with a decent GPU.

It may be better to just build or buy a NAS for storage to run quietly in the corner and have a separate box for gaming / multimedia use.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 November 2014, 13:51:32 by dorkvader »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 05:06:35 »

This guy will fit in most mini ITX cases (the ones with support for extended min ITX AKA all the ones with 2 pci slots) and has support for 12 sata3 drives and 2 more sata2 ones

That's for server use but asrock has done some really stupid things with drives. If you want a larger MB, here's one with 22 sata3 ports:
Show Image

Fortunately they're super cheap as long as you don't need great RAID / cache support. Unfortunately it won't fit in your mini itX with a decent GPU.

It may be better to just build or buy a NAS for storage to run quietly in the corner and have a separate box for gaming / multimedia use.

I doubt they sold many of those..

If anyone wanted LSI sas.. they could've just bought a moderately priced card instead..

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 05:31:02 »

Show Image

Jesus christ. That looks like the be all and end all of MOBOs. 4 way SLI and 22 SATA ports is a video renderer's dream. (I assume).

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 06:31:29 »
Actually, a renderer's dream would be the ASUS X99-E WS.

It's 4-way SLI and all four channels run at x16. Unlike previous generations, 4 GPUs now equals 4 times the GPU power.

That is my fetish.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 07:12:31 »

It's 4-way SLI and all four channels run at x16. Unlike previous generations, 4 GPUs now equals 4 times the GPU power.

That is my fetish.

My 24 core 4cpu x7460 server can easily pwnz0r ur dumbass n00ber sli setup..

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 07:41:35 »

That is my fetish.

Show Image

***** please...

call me when you get a Supermicro X9QRi-F+ with quad-CPU setup running Xeon E5-2697 v3's

56 total cores. 112 threads.

Also with Titan-Z's in 2-way SLI.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 22:29:04 »

That is my fetish.

Show Image

***** please...

call me when you get a Supermicro X9QRi-F+ with quad-CPU setup running Xeon E5-2697 v3's

cept you don't have one of ^^^ those either..

At least I got my x7460 server... 2 of them ..

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 00:05:06 »

That is my fetish.

Show Image

***** please...

Show Image

Congrats. Now what do you use them for?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 01:07:02 »

That is my fetish.

Show Image

***** please...

Show Image

pr0n..

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 16:04:37 »

That is my fetish.

Show Image

***** please...

Show Image

pr0n..

Of course you do...