Author Topic: Can anyone answer a VLC player question?  (Read 4166 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Can anyone answer a VLC player question?
« on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 10:01:01 »
I use VLC Media Player which I generally like, but how do you make songs play in numerical order?

For example, if I want to listen to "Revolver" by the Beatles and the songs are in the order
01 Taxman
02 Eleanor Rigby
etc

it seems that VLC always insists on playing them in reverse order. I have been through this many times, attempting recommendations from so-called experts that never work.

There does not seem to be a default "Sort by" in Audio-Playlist-Tools-Preferences, and even right-clicking and selecting "Sort by Numerical Ascending" etc each time never seems to work. Am I missing something?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Can anyone answer a VLC player question?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 18:02:36 »
Are your files tagged or do the 'Title's have a file extension (.something) at the end?  If they are not tagged sorting by Track Number won't work but you could sort by URI (path and filename) instead.  Or you could tag the files using something like EasyTAG.

Hopefully the Windows version is very similar to the Linux one or this may be gibberish :blank:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline gipetto

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 04:11:03 »
I do a playlist
ls *mp3 | cat > ./playlist.m3u

sometimes it will put two digit songs at the start and the list has to be manually edited.

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 04:25:40 »
I do a playlist

sometimes it will put two digit songs at the start and the list has to be manually edited.

i love that now that is pretty much universal computer language, all major OS now including bash makes it much easier, still not sure that many windows users even know about cli and terminals but nice to have
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 05:29:37 »
I do a playlist

uugh

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 07:26:51 »
Thanks, but I will work around some other way.

That said, I loathe all things Apple and keep all my music as straight clean MP3 files without any sort of DRM in a straight conventional directory tree structure.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"