Author Topic: Thoracic spine pain  (Read 4919 times)

Offline bcredbottle

Thoracic spine pain
« on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 12:35:44 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 October 2021, 13:37:57 by bcredbottle »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Thoracic spine pain
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 13:10:06 »
I get severe discomfort with a similar feeling to my chest being constricted and also occasional severe pain in that area.  It was worse in college, to the point where I was taking 3200mg of Ibuprofen a day to help with the pain.  I believe it's from the minor scoliosis I still have exacerbated by sitting down in front of a monitor for so long.  If you watch yourself (or someone else) who sits in front of a monitor for extended periods of time, they tend to slouch their shoulders and neck, both of which can cause pain of exacerbate pre-existing conditions in the upper back.

Adjusting my posture and having a lower keyboard and higher monitor as well as a vertical mouse help me with it, but don't totally eliminate it.  I also find back adjustments by a non-crackpot chiropractor helps with the pain.  Lastly, I find that I often just need to do some back stretches like this:

Working on posture, regular stretching, chiropractors, and finding a better chair/properly adjusting your chair all can help.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 17:08:50 »
Not sure I agree 100%, but this lady’s book/lectures are thought provoking:

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2015, 17:10:43 by jacobolus »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 18:08:49 »
If so, how have you fixed it, if at all? I work about 60+ hours a week sitting at a desk btw, in case that's relevant.
Ummm, don't work 60+ hours a week sitting at a desk in the first place?

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 08:21:07 »
-
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 June 2015, 09:38:21 by bcredbottle »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 08:53:26 »
Have you considered health expenses caused by such a lifestyle in your calculations?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 03:22:08 »
What about a standing desk? I am not too knowledgable on the subject, but I have heard good things about them for people who are at their desk for long hours.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 03:25:38 »
What about a standing desk? I am not too knowledgable on the subject, but I have heard good things about them for people who are at their desk for long hours.

I use a standing desk, I rate it.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 20:24:59 »
I had a different problem, used the Egoscue method, and became an Egoscue convert/evangelist.

Read some of the reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Free-at-Your-PC/dp/0553380524

For those with not specifically-desk-related musculo-skeletal pain:
http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Free-Revolutionary-Stopping-Chronic/dp/0553379887

This man's method takes time but costs only what the book costs.  60+hours a week sucks, but it might suck less if you spend 15 to 120 minutes (depending on what you need) fixing .yourself.
Jesus loves you.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 20:44:26 »
I had a different problem, used the Egoscue method, and became an Egoscue convert/evangelist.
Is there an explanation somewhere online (or ideally a video) of how these exercises work? It’s hard to evaluate a book from the cover + some reviews.

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 21:57:09 »
It's closer to yoga than weight lifting.  I used the Pain Free book but mention the other one because of your specific circumstance.  There are different activities prescribed for different symptoms.  My routine involved standing just-so and clenching certain muscles, then pushing my back against a wall and "sitting" on a non-existent chair, then the last "e-cises" were two different ways of lying still on the floor.  The first time, it took over an hour.  The last, like 15 minutes.  Zero impact, no really special equipment required.  Some people will find mild pain because muscles are doing things they are not accustomed to doing, but this can be minimized by doing it "less" until your body gets used to it.

I looked real quick and it seems Youtube has a bunch of example videos.  Unless you have been through some sort of physical therapy before it may look like useless nonsense - but it is serious therapy!
Jesus loves you.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 23:14:20 »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 06:07:12 »
i get this too. it ended up being severe trapezius tightness. a foam roller is one of the best stretching/massage things i've ever invested in. a pull-up bar for stretching out my upper back is also incredibly helpful.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 08:20:15 »
i get this too. it ended up being severe trapezius tightness. a foam roller is one of the best stretching/massage things i've ever invested in. a pull-up bar for stretching out my upper back is also incredibly helpful.

the trapezius tightness is due to you lifting your shoulders and pulling inward towards yourself to gain more clearance to move the mouse..

Lower the typing/mousing surface, and learn to drop your elbow and completely relax your traps..

This is an RSI syndrome you've developed over years,  it will take some time to unlearn..

Every time you get near a mouse and desk your body may naturally tighten up improperly..

Offline skottr

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 22:58:19 »
Do you have forward head posture when standing? Basically, if you stand normally facing forward, are your ears out in front of your shoulders? If so, the extra stress and tension from having to hold your head up may be causing most of your pain. I've had the same issue due to hip problems -- sitting too much caused an 'anterior pelvic tilt', which made my lower back arch forward a bit, which caused my thoracic spine to curve back a bit in an effort to balance out, causing my head to be out in front of my shoulders.

Sadly, lots of people have this issue and don't realize it -- sitting all day, staring down at phones, etc. So, if you find this to be the case (or even if it's not the case), search for ways to fix anterior pelvic tilt and forward head posture. The two main guys I follow are Kelly Starrett (mobilitywod.com) and Naudi Aguilar (functionalpatterns.com). By stretching hip flexors and activating other muscles, you can reverse the issues caused by sitting and bad posture. I'm still working on this issue, myself, so I feel your pain -- literally. I also recommend using something like a Theracane to help loosen up your back and hips even (theracane.com). The Theracane, along with a lacrosse ball and foam roller, will work wonders.  Get a foam roller and roll your upper back over it, and it'll feel so great when it helps open it up some.

Also, might be worth seeing a chiropractor. I swear by mine when my upper back is really giving me issues.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 23:41:11 »
there is a large number of excellent suggestions and insights in this thread!

My own experience seems quite similar. Using the same techniques nubbinator listed helped immensely. Stretching (gently!!!) the chest/pecs/shoulder has also helped.

Finally, using a split keyboard like an ergodox or the matias ergo pro set quite wide so that my arms are not reading in toward the center was a huge huge help, as that reach in to the home keys was a major source of muscle tension.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------