Author Topic: mouse switch mods?  (Read 11493 times)

Offline nhyrum

mouse switch mods?
« on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 09:33:15 »
Hello all!

I am in the process of building a damn near silent PC and well... loud mouse clicks (and keyboards - already got that underway) are beginning to be unacceptable.

Im looking for a good gaming mouse that will either have quiet, tactile bumps or switches i could install to make the clicks quieter.Right now i have the steelseries kana, and while its OK, the braiding has frayed completely through in 2 spots, and its a little too loud.

I prefer non-traditional shaped mice, such as this one although my budget is more than 30 bucks.

Offline Geroximo

Re: mouse switch mods?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 14:01:17 »
Have you already tried to google "silent mouse" or "noiseless mouse"?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 15:56:14 »
Touchpad.

There are a couple notebook mice with quiet buttons, but I can't think of any mouse of decent quality that uses quiet buttons. Engineering a quality, tiny, long lasting switch with no noise is pretty tough to do. You have to consider how many presses your mouse can be subjected to, and how mice are treated. The only company I know of making one is a company named Nexus, but I'm almost to the point that if a mouse isn't Logitech or Microsoft, I won't bother, they simply don't last (I don't use wired mice).

The Logitech typically use Omron switches, which are more quiet than the generic alternatives. There are a few tutorials on how to silence the mouse... Beware, yes, it will make it quiet, and also shorten the lifespan considerably. It will still function, but you will start getting unintended double clicks.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 04:48:41 »
99% of all mice sound the same b/c they all use omron switches, the really cheap mice use ghetto omrons.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 16:21:08 »
99% of all mice sound the same b/c they all use omron switches, the really cheap mice use ghetto omrons.
I think you would be surprised just how many mice use Omron clones.

This is one of the reasons I pretty much only use the two brands mentioned, On average, I get 15 months out of Omrons on my desktop mice. I've had generics die in a month of what I consider light use.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline nhyrum

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 22:48:32 »
There are a few tutorials on how to silence the mouse... Beware, yes, it will make it quiet, and also shorten the lifespan considerably. It will still function, but you will start getting unintended double clicks.

do you happen to know where these tuts are? the ones i have seen involve shoving coffee filters or slathering vaseline under the copper/metal clicky part

Have you already tried to google "silent mouse" or "noiseless mouse"?

lets assume i did, because i am a reasonably intelligent person. theyre all under 20 bucks which is just retardly cheap for a gaming mouse

Offline hanya

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 03:24:08 »
Recent cheap silent mouses use Kailh silent switch, model MI627301D. Its life time is 3 milion cycle.
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 03:44:29 »
What is regarded as the most -crispy- feel mouse switch.. omron or somethign else

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 22:08:07 »
There are a few tutorials on how to silence the mouse... Beware, yes, it will make it quiet, and also shorten the lifespan considerably. It will still function, but you will start getting unintended double clicks.

do you happen to know where these tuts are? the ones i have seen involve shoving coffee filters or slathering vaseline under the copper/metal clicky part
I just searched silent mouse mod on Google if I remember right.
One I saw was using sponges, another was bending the leaf springs. The latter will damage the switch.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 02:23:06 »
I know they have a specific mice advertised to be silent..  but i don't think it's like the lever microswitch used in the current mice..  it's one of those button round switches.. those are all virtually silent.

Like the dpi switching buttons next to the scroll wheel.

So for a mod, just go with one of those switches.. glue them down to the pcb, wire them up, left right,  then glue some wood shim onto the top of the buttons..

Offline nhyrum

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 15:49:21 »
as for right now i just put vaseline in between the contacts. between that and bending the switch its amazing! kinda weird, but ill see if i g=can get used to it before i mess with my nice mouse(i modded 2 logitechs, one travel and another m100)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 16:06:42 »
You may test these guides:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ninja-Mouse-The-Silent-Click/?ALLSTEPS

I tried the Ninja Mouse Instructables once but the main problem is the sound reverbs out of the omron switches. Dampening the vibration helps, a piece of rubber from an old bike inner-tube (or a thinner piece of rubber) on top of the switch, and sealing around the sides of the switch with silicone might work if you want to go all out. Or maybe cover the switch with sound isolation material.