Author Topic: New AMD Vishera 8350 CPU, still a tough sell.  (Read 1704 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
New AMD Vishera 8350 CPU, still a tough sell.
« on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 01:19:48 »
OK guys... minimize the fanboism..

If final street price of the "8350" is around $150,  it'd be a great buy.  ^-^

I feel like the 15% bump from Bulldozer doesn't give it enough umph'' to uproot 2500k and 3570k at their street price $200

Even if you can tack on another approx 15% to the 8350 via overclocking (5ghz average max), on Intel it's around 50% overclocking on all unlocked chips 4.8ghz average..

AMD Vishera is still a really tough sell at $200, especially considering the fact that real life programs are NOT nearly as well threaded as benchmarking software.

Below shows the graph translated it says "3D gaming"  This graph is a weighted average of performance of many games put together, from Hardware.fr

Disappointing Starcraft 2 performance, even after so many years, AMD can't crack 60FPS average in large SC2 battles. Graph, from anandtech

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Re: New AMD Vishera 8350 CPU, still a tough sell.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 06:17:09 »
8350 isn't horrible if you're building a rendering or encoding server though. Kinda funny AMD would harp on the future being "Fusion," yet their top of the line product doesn't even have GPU onboard. Ivy Bridge out performs it at half the die space and that has a GPU onboard (however horrible it is).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 09:25:14 »
8350 isn't horrible if you're building a rendering or encoding server though. Kinda funny AMD would harp on the future being "Fusion," yet their top of the line product doesn't even have GPU onboard. Ivy Bridge out performs it at half the die space and that has a GPU onboard (however horrible it is).

But if you consider that Intel can overclock to 4.2ghz without voltage bump or changing any settings outside of multiplier, the 2500k and 3570k then outperforms the 8350 by a good margin.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 10:43:11 »
AMD top chip gets trounced by a dual core i3 in so many scenarios its really sad. Also add to that that it uses much more power and hotter running and it's a big fail. AMD is only compete against Intel on the lowest level like Atom vs E350. After move past that its fail fail fail. I think they need to fire thier cpu team and have the gpu team design everything. GPU division is the only thing keeping AMD above on a competitive level. If they don't get thier sh!t together they are destined to be the next Via, totally irrelevant.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 11:26:06 »
No argument from me. AMD has been irrelevant since Conroe came out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 18:33:49 »
If they made the motherboards cheaper.... SOMEHOW.....  Because while the Chip is slower, the AMD platform cost as much as INTEL platform...

If they reduced licensing fees or something to vendors... That would be HUGE value..

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 04:14:01 »
I only semi agree on that. Though, those low end boards on either side kinda suck with 3 or 4phase VRM. I probably wouldn't spend any more money than that for an AMD board, but I'd happy spend over 300 for my Intel. At least you can use these new chips in some AM3 boards, so that's an upgrade path for some deranged individual who actually bought into the AMD platform.