Author Topic: Dear keypros, help me find my dreamboard  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Conditioned

Dear keypros, help me find my dreamboard
« on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 05:22:32 »
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a TKL with cherry reds. This has not been supereasy.
Apart from it being TKL and cherry reds I would like for it to be as cheap as possible (I have me/cfs, so dirt poor), and while it doesn't have to be beautiful I would like for it to not be ugly. I also need the cord to either be in the keyboard or so I can rail it through something. I move it around a lot. Also, and this is optional, if it supports ps/2, that would be swell.

Here's what I have considered so far and why I have not pulled the trigger:

Corsair Gaming K63 Cherry MX Red. This is one ugly keyboard. Also, at this pricepoint I suspect the long term quality might be ..non existant. I have had Corsair products in the past and not been overwhelmed with the quality.

Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S RGB. You put the cord in on the outside on the back of the keyboard. This will hold about 1 week for me. I had the Quickfire Rapid for the last few years, and have been extremely happy with it. Only had to give it up because some of the keys are starting to not respond.

Ducky one 2 Skykeys. 1khz usb. I believe this might lag down the rest of the computer. I'm very sensitive to input lag and I have tested a 1k hz keyboard before that made the whole computer go swampy. Shame, I really like the idea of this one, even though it's beyond my budget.

Antec p183, I5@4.01 ghz, 6Gb Kingston Ram,1200w Corsair psu, Intel 80 gb ssd, 3TB Storage (Seagate), Asus Essence STX with AKG K701, Gigabyte 480 gtx, Dell 2048 WFP 24" + Benq xl2410t 120hz 23,6", Razer Deathadder 3g with Goliathus Control, Netgear Wnr 3500 running Tomato USB w/ 500 gb storage

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Dear keypros, help me find my dreamboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 06:56:19 »
I don't see a budget so these ones i think are the best ones :). Filco and then mod it with a aluminium board and new key caps or a Leopold TKL. 

Edit: Nvm didn't see the dirt poor part. Second hands Leopold TKL
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:01:05 »
Ducky one 2 Skykeys. 1khz usb. I believe this might lag down the rest of the computer. I'm very sensitive to input lag and I have tested a 1k hz keyboard before that made the whole computer go swampy. Shame, I really like the idea of this one, even though it's beyond my budget.
Something was off then, it should not lag the system, it should not even be able to drown out USB 2.0 bus, much less USB 3, or anything else upstream.

My advice, look on Amazon for "TKL mx red keyboard" set a price limit, find what you like then ask if it's worth the money.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Conditioned

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:34:43 »
Something was off then, it should not lag the system, it should not even be able to drown out USB 2.0 bus, much less USB 3, or anything else upstream.

Thanks for your advice. Seems there are fewer tkl cherry reds than I anticipated. I used to play fps at a fairly high lvl. I was in 3 national teams back in the day. Over the years there most have been a dozen or so times when there was something "off" that really shouldn't affect things. Take this guide for example http://www.overclock.net/t/1433882/gaming-and-mouse-response-bios-optimization-guide-for-modern-pc-hardware-2014-r0ach-edition. I find it makes my systems quite more responsive, even though they really shouldn't all in all. Just some food for thought.

Ps. That doesn't mean the ducky board would induce lag, just that I'm extremely conservative with these things, especially since I don't see an advantage to use 1khz on the keyboard.
Antec p183, I5@4.01 ghz, 6Gb Kingston Ram,1200w Corsair psu, Intel 80 gb ssd, 3TB Storage (Seagate), Asus Essence STX with AKG K701, Gigabyte 480 gtx, Dell 2048 WFP 24" + Benq xl2410t 120hz 23,6", Razer Deathadder 3g with Goliathus Control, Netgear Wnr 3500 running Tomato USB w/ 500 gb storage

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:36:18 »
Leopold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:58:19 »
I think the Coolermaster would be a good choice if you're trying to save money.

My Rosewill RK9000 came with a USB to PS/2 cable. I'm not sure if the TKLs do too since they're a different design.

It depends on your budget, but you get into some better keyboards if you surpass the $120 mark. You can still get some decent stuff between $80-120. But if you go lower than that (and it's not just a flash sale), you're probably limited to Chinese Amazon specials, which may be ok, but they won't be "dreamboard" material IMO.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:17:16 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline killyou

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 14:38:17 »
Wait for the new Coolermaster series with Gateron switches (not sure it will have reds though). That will be something ~$70.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 19:14:41 »
Over the years there most have been a dozen or so times when there was something "off" that really shouldn't affect things. Take this guide for example http://www.overclock.net/t/1433882/gaming-and-mouse-response-bios-optimization-guide-for-modern-pc-hardware-2014-r0ach-edition. I find it makes my systems quite more responsive, even though they really shouldn't all in all. Just some food for thought.
Have you considered that just maybe one of those bios tweaks are what caused the problems with the 1khz keyboard?
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 06:04:37 »
It's hard to go wrong with a Filco. In fact, there's a whole bunch of videos on YouTube specifically about Filco TKLs with MX Reds.

Yes, the Internet's sheer specialization power can still be astounding.  :?O
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Kilgarah

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 16:38:19 »
Leopold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Leopold, OP. They don't have fancy lights or any of that, but they're built damn well and they're solid keyboards.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline ag36

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 12:52:08 »
Leopold +1, also ergodox is fantastic if you touch type.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1