Author Topic: G400s discontinued - what now? (G400 replacement)  (Read 39182 times)

Offline guywithtwohands

G400s discontinued - what now? (G400 replacement)
« on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 10:12:31 »
So I'm finally starting to look into replacing my almost 4 years old G400 (which replaced an MX 518 due to the rubber on the sides having almost completely deteriorated). The right-click on the G400 started feeling odd sometimes a while back, but other than that, it's generally fine. Sometimes when I press the right mouse button, it feels and sounds like the plastic is "creaking" so to speak - doesn't happen all the time, but it's rather annoying when it does. In some ways it feels like double-clicking except it doesn't register as such.

The obvious choice for a replacement is the not-so-new-anymore G400s, but it looks like Logitech discontinued it and I'm having a hard time finding it available anywhere outside of Korean eBay sellers. With import fees etc., it would end up being twice as expensive as my MX518/G400 was.

Now that might still be worth it since I like the shape so much, but when the time comes for the G400s to need replacing, what then? Assuming Logitech hasn't seen the big mistake of discontinuing a design this old (the G402 is NOT a valid replacement from what I've come to understand from longtime MX5xx/G400 users). At the same time, I have to wonder if there's a different mouse shape out there that fits my hand better, but throughout the 7-8 years of using this design, I haven't really had any complaints about the comfort.
My hand is ~19 cm from wrist to middle finger.

So what am I looking for?
  • Mostly palm grip
  • "Flawless" sensor
  • No more than the usual buttons plus back/forward (buttons for DPI are of course okay, but none of that "sniper"-button nonsense present on the G402)
  • Software not being required to get most functionality. I would be okay with simply being able to remove the software after configuring the mouse and having everything stored on-board and working without the software
  • Something reliable that won't break in a year.
So far I've nailed it down to a couple of different models, but I'm open to suggestions.
  • CM Storm Alcor - Relatively inexpensive and seems to fit my requirements, but I'm worried the mouse itself will be too small coming from a G400
  • Steelseries Rival - Seems good, but I haven't found much info on the software. There seems to be concerns about quality control?
  • Zowie EC1-A - Seems good enough - no software is a plus, but concerns about quality control?
  • Mionix Naos 7000 - Quite interested in this one. It looks to be very comfortable for palm grip and as far as I've understood, the software is only required for initial configuration if you so desire

All of these are cheaper than a G400s from eBay with import fees.

Offline Bucake

Re: G400s discontinued - what now? (G400 replacement)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 11:32:01 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G400-Optical-Gaming-Mouse-RFB-/271739682647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f44f27f57

there is 1 left: $50, free shipping.
looks like it's a refurbished unit.
no idea if it's legit, but i bumped into it and figured i might as well share it.

edit: i see there are a few more G400 mice for sale on ebay. i think you might as well take a look :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2015, 11:37:06 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 11:40:50 »
If you like Logitech mice try to G500. I like it.

Offline Symmetry

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 12:27:14 »
If you like the G400 shape, the Rival might fit your preferences. I'm a long-time fan of the MX510 shape (I've had five different mice with this body!) and I became dissatisfied with Logitech's QC, so I tried a Steelseries Rival. Roughly the right shape, but a little larger and heavier than the MX510 lineage. Still, it's quite nice, and I think the closest thing to that shape without going Logitech.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:05:42 »
Corsair m45.

Its what i replaced my g400 with when the buttons went to ****.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 02:14:06 »
Naos is a very flat and low device.

You forgot to put the Deathadder Chroma up there. Well Razer is razer :P
In all honesty though, Steelseries is worse than Razer for me at least. The Rival is a very cheap device. Those nibbles will wear off in a month. Some people complained about the Rival's curve and weight.
Zowie hasn't fixed their scroll wheel issue. Zowie has terrible QC and persistent issues they haven't fixed. They're a bunch of cheap bastards - stay away
CM storm botched their launch.

You might be interested in some of the Roccats like the XTD optical series
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2015, 02:35:50 by Novus »

Offline aspire5550

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 02:51:45 »
If I'm not mistaken, the g400s is actually more expensive than the g400. They are not in the same price range. How much more expensive, that I do not remember.

Used a g400 which had a problem with the mouse click within 1 and a half year, RMA-ed it since there's a 3 year warranty. Got a g400s instead as the g400 has stopped production.

A happy logitech customer I am. :)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 04:46:13 »

Yeah, gullible fools are easily separated from their money by this Corporation. 

Better invest in a Roccat KPM because it's structurally and performance wise, far superior to the latest abortions coming out of Logitech's rectum  :thumb: .

Stopped buying their garbage after the G302, G402 and G502 debacles were released, they physically can not make any decent input devices.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 05:00:10 »

Yeah, gullible fools are easily separated from their money by this Corporation. 

Better invest in a Roccat KPM because it's structurally and performance wise, far superior to the latest abortions coming out of Logitech's rectum  :thumb: .

Stopped buying their garbage after the G302, G402 and G502 debacles were released, they physically can not make any decent input devices.

They still got your money babe ;)
Also you shouId buy the g303.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 06:16:13 »

That is why you listen to the losers (such as myself) who have spent their money on these pieces of sh1t, masquerading as input devices.

Not ever going down the G303 route, have been slapped enough with rancid Logitech fecal matter and am tired of wiping it off my face daily.  Logitech today is extremely dead in my household  8) .

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 14:05:53 »
Roccat KPM if you don't mind flatter and smaller, is a great mouse with a similar ish shape/grip.
for me who barely put palm on the mouse, it is very similar to the G400/s shape.
but it really depends on your grip.
KPM = Kone Pure Military, by the way.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 14:48:01 »

That is why you listen to the losers (such as myself) who have spent their money on these pieces of sh1t, masquerading as input devices.

Not ever going down the G303 route, have been slapped enough with rancid Logitech fecal matter and am tired of wiping it off my face daily.  Logitech today is extremely dead in my household  8) .

So what's your beef with the 02 devices - G502, 402, 302?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 14:51:43 »

It's cool to hate things that people like and are actually good?

Offline blighty

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 15:27:10 »
I'll be sad when my 2 G400 (edit: not the G400s model with the giant "G") die on me.  They are decent gaming mice that still look business enough.  The newer logitech stuff has great features, but I wouldn't want the gaudiness of my mouse to take away from the gaudiness of my keyboard. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2015, 15:29:16 by blighty »
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 17:56:04 »

It's cool to hate things that people like and are actually good?

Well they do have some issues though.

Offline Symmetry

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 01:17:06 »
If you want to try a Rival and save some money, I've got a used unit that works perfectly I'd be willing to let go. I replaced it with a trackball, and don't intend on going back.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline LarsMarkelson

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 19:08:15 »
This breaks your software requirement but I would recommend trying a Razer Deathadder. One of the best feeling palm mice you can get. A pro Dota 2 player, AdmiralBulldog, used to use the G400 but then he joined a team sponsored by Razer and he switched to the Deathadder. So they're equivalent in that way :)

Offline Infrared

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 19:12:25 »
isnt the g402 the replacement for this??

always thought that it was :P
White Fc660c

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 23:00:11 »
isnt the g402 the replacement for this??

always thought that it was :p

Sorry sunshine, it isn't a replacement at all to the holy G400 series.  Not even in the same ball park of usability or comfort, in fact the G402 is basically a mistake when you cross a ZEXUS ZT-V9 with a wireless Portuguese Hot Black 6D  >:D .

Both of those mentioned model of mice, retail for less than $10.00USD so you know what the actual G402 is really worth.  Logitech has missed the boat on designing and making decent input devices now so best to re-stock on newer G400 mice which are still available on Ebay.

Offline n3ro

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 00:48:37 »
I'm currently using Thermaltake Theron Infrared optical mouse which has the Avago 3090 sensor. Not the lastest sensor but it suppose to be pretty accurate i think.

The shape is little weird at first i got used to it. They were around $20 or $25 when they had rebates from Newegg or Fry's.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 03:23:10 »
I still have one working G400s and one NIB that I will switch out when my current one goes out. There is no replacement IMO.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 05:28:43 »
I still have one working G400s and one NIB that I will switch out when my current one goes out. There is no replacement IMO.

same! using my G400 right now :-)
i have a bunch of back-up parts for them (feet, shells, cable), as well as a NIB (though refurbished) G400.
too bad i threw my G400 box away :x

i'm still really happy i have a working G400. i just wish the coating wasn't deteriorating :'-(
because the thing still works great, but the coating on M1 and M2 has been.. clicked away :>
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline wazup

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 18:49:58 »
I was in the same boat as you, had mx518 die on me and got it RMA'd for a g400s, which I am using now, but my work mouse was a 518 and it just recently bit the dust also.  I have since bought a mionix naos 7000, and while it is a comfortable mouse, I don't think I grip it correctly for its ergonomics to be beneficial to me coming from the past mice shape.  Therefore, I just bought a g602 to replace the naos, and I like much better. However, it is wireless so if that bothers you I wouldn't get it.  In the performance mode I don't notice any lag, and has high enough dpi for anything I do, but lag is noticeable in their endurance mode.  The g602 has been on sale this week also for $40, which isn't bad if you are still looking around.
||  Ducky 9008 G2 (MX Brown)  ||  Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red)  ||  Monoprice 9433 (MX Blue)  ||  IBM Model M ('90)  ||  Apple Extended Keyboard II ('90©, cream damped Alps)  ||  Apple M0110A ('87, Mitsumi)  ||

Offline MykB77

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:02:35 »
Have you tried a G700?  Slightly different shape but still pretty good.  My original MX1000 is still working fine on the original battery on the original charger.
They do make pretty good stuff.  Only had some slight charging problems with MX Revolution.  Also had the Performance MX for a while, great mouse but not enough resolution for me.

If they only produced something like the Performance MX with the G700 Gaming Laser, report rate and software.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 15:28:58 »
  • "Flawless" sensor
  • No more than the usual buttons plus back/forward (buttons for DPI are of course okay, but none of that "sniper"-button nonsense present on the G402)

Have you tried a G700?

Yeah, G700 is certainly the best answer. /s

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:58:07 »
i was in the same boat as you some weeks ago, my conclusion was there were no replacement acceptable so i bought a g400s off ebay (some asian seller)
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 17:42:53 »
I would like to humbly suggest the Mionix Castor (amaaaazing mouse), or a Zowie. Neither require software, and are exceptionally well built and light mice.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 17:49:30 »
Get a Ducky Secret Mouse, perfection personified  :thumb: .

All PBT shell that is so nice to touch and hold plus a special button underneath the mouse that adjusts every setting for it.

This product of course needs no software to use unlike some of the recent abortions, masquerading as input devices.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 23:18:34 »
or a Zowie

Agreed. They actually just recently changed their entire line up to use Omron switches instead of Huanos. I'll probably end up selling my ZA13 and get the Omron version of the same mouse.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 00:14:07 »
All PBT shell that is so nice to touch and hold plus a special button underneath the mouse that adjusts every setting for it.

wut

r u fukin kiddin me? a PBT mouse?

every other mouse just became obsolete

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:41:56 »
wut

r u fukin kiddin me? a PBT mouse?

every other mouse just became obsolete

Look it up on Google "Ducky Secret" mouse.

Basically it's the same shell housing as those older Microsoft Mice use to be with balls (go figure) yet have an updated 3310 sensor installed inside it.

There is a complicated system of button presses to enable or disable a lot of features on the mouse but it's fun playing with it.  Can't keep my hands of it at all plus every time I handle it takes me back to the late 90's when they were selling the originals with every beige PC setup.

The shape is something so superb it's like rediscovering what a mouse should be like, yet again   8) .

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 08:42:31 »
While I'm not discontinuing my G400, I will be relocating it to work and ordered a Mionix Castor to replace it.  It should be here on Monday so I'll see then if it's a worthy replacement or not.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:37:36 »
The Castor is currently my favorite mouse. Gonna order a Secret tonight (omg pbt), so hopefully that'll take over the #1 slot.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 03:31:29 »
The Castor is currently my favorite mouse. Gonna order a Secret tonight (omg pbt), so hopefully that'll take over the #1 slot.

man, dump your thoughts when you receive it. and maybe also after a bit of use.
really curious

Offline sintklaas73

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:12:31 »
I man I wont be able to live without g400s!! Is it seriously faced out?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:46:28 »

a while ago.
it's the G402 or G502 now.

or, well, start looking for second hand ones :cool:

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 15:55:44 »

a while ago.

Last I looked all I could find were second hand ones for like $80+
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 16:49:59 »

a while ago.

yeah well, you know, people/sellers who still have some left try to use the fact that these mice are discontinued to their advantage :))
i was looking for a G400 on ebay a while ago, and all i could find were a few between $100 and something like $350 dollars ;D

i just checked again, there's a G400 for $50 on there right now.
and G400S mice from $70.
not cheap still, but that's reality!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 17:59:47 »

a while ago.

yeah well, you know, people/sellers who still have some left try to use the fact that these mice are discontinued to their advantage :))
i was looking for a G400 on ebay a while ago, and all i could find were a few between $100 and something like $350 dollars ;D

i just checked again, there's a G400 for $50 on there right now.
and G400S mice from $70.
not cheap still, but that's reality!

you gotta make sure it's the new version. with prediction disabled

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 05:28:51 »
Mionix Castor. Better sensor as well.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g