Author Topic: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case  (Read 127149 times)

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:23:13 »
I wasn't sure if I should bother posting this or not, and considering how maligned this case and Vortex has been (myself included), I wanted to give it a fair review after it was done. That was partly why there are no inside pictures, I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. We already heard the second gen had straighter lines, and I would have just gave that comment a second (or third), but when I saw the key caps line up better than the stock case, I had to say something and it just sort of went from there.

I think most of the bashing has to do with Vortex, not the case. The case is fine for what it is. Mine doesn't have the alignment issue nor parallel marks on the top face of the board. You can look at Dirge's pictures to see that even 2nd batch haven't fixed that. Yours still have that groove on the side of the case that run parallel to the top surface. The problem is there, just whether or not you notice it/care.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #351 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:38:34 »
I wasn't sure if I should bother posting this or not, and considering how maligned this case and Vortex has been (myself included), I wanted to give it a fair review after it was done. That was partly why there are no inside pictures, I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. We already heard the second gen had straighter lines, and I would have just gave that comment a second (or third), but when I saw the key caps line up better than the stock case, I had to say something and it just sort of went from there.

I think most of the bashing has to do with Vortex, not the case. The case is fine for what it is. Mine doesn't have the alignment issue nor parallel marks on the top face of the board. You can look at Dirge's pictures to see that even 2nd batch haven't fixed that. Yours still have that groove on the side of the case that run parallel to the top surface. The problem is there, just whether or not you notice it/care.

yup, I have some mild parallel markings.. visible in low light..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #352 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 18:29:59 »
Update: Mechanical Keyboards is sending me screws.
I asked for the proper size before I ran out and just grabbed some, and woke up to a shipping invoice. Great bunch of guys there. :) I have the right screws, but it's nice to get good service.

I believe the solidity isn't in removing the "flex", rather, it's because the whole board is heavier now, and sitting completely flat "huge contact area" on top of the desk..

There was very little flex in a plate mounted board to begin with...

my only complaint was the "finish" isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. :-X
I'm not so convinced.

The plate in the Filco may not be flexing, but it wasn't as well supported in the Filco. The front of the plat on the filco simply rests on a 3 very small standoffs and there is nothing really clamping it down. It's possible the plate has room to give, even if only a little. If any standoff is a little high, or a little low (case flex will cause this as well as the molding process), it can allow for some give.  Above all though, plastic is forgiving. No matter what you do, ABS plastic will never be as solid as aluminum.

The finish could be better, I agree, but I expected a fairly rough sandblasted finish.

Dont paint your case, powercoat maybe. I may be doing anodizing GBs in the future which would be the bes method for coloring aluminum.
If it's well painted, you can't tell what type of paint was used, I was planning to use automotive paint.

There is a reason I decided on this though, and that is that I can easily remove it with paint stripper or Easy Off Oven cleaner, and  repaint it on a whim (a girl has right to change her mind!  :))), without needing a lot of prep work every time.

I gave some thought to polishing it, but ugh, the fingerprints would drive me mad. People complain about them on Das keyboards, this would be about 10 times worse.

There was, and is, a lot of valid complaints about this case.

And yes, I know the lines are there, I also have some milling "ghost" patterns above the arrow keys, but they are quite subtle. If we want to to nit pick, the screw holes could be better done (they are a bit rough), the case could be more flush on the front and back, and a lot of corners are rather sharp. I never expected perfection but for the money, it's a far better deal than the first round. First round had some serious gotchas, such as the ferrite bead.

Credit where credit is due, it's a big improvement.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #353 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 13:31:25 »
Can I get a quote on how well this fits the Phantom? I kinda get it, but a Yay/Nay on whether it fits or not would be much appreciated (because I've heard it does and it doesn't). I'm wanting a nice Phantom case (only problem is that it has the block between the arrow keys and the delete cluster, something I would hope to somehow get rid of...
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 14:19:08 »
Can I get a quote on how well this fits the Phantom? I kinda get it, but a Yay/Nay on whether it fits or not would be much appreciated (because I've heard it does and it doesn't). I'm wanting a nice Phantom case (only problem is that it has the block between the arrow keys and the delete cluster, something I would hope to somehow get rid of...
it wont fit properly with the phantom plate currently designed. I could sell you an extra filco plate I have which would make it work.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #355 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 15:29:07 »
Thanks, but no thanks. I would rather have the Phantom plate. Thanks for the answer BTW. Now to find an Aluminum case that has the Cutout for the 5 keys above the Invert-T keys.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #356 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 15:35:29 »
Insert "One does not simply..." meme here.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #357 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 15:51:59 »
I noticed one issue with this case, and other aluminum cases, they aren't properly grounded.

I found this out last night when a static spark jumped nearly half an inch on to the housing and somehow made it to the Scroll Lock LED, which lit up. This happened again a short time later. So far there doesn't seem to be any damage, but I plan on figuring out a way to properly ground it.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #358 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 15:52:27 »
I noticed one issue with this case, and other aluminum cases, they aren't properly grounded.

I found this out last night when a static spark jumped nearly half an inch on to the housing and somehow made it to the Scroll Lock LED, which lit up. This happened again a short time later. So far there doesn't seem to be any damage, but I plan on figuring out a way to properly ground it.

:eek:

Offline inteli722

« Reply #359 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 15:52:38 »

Ok. No more threadcrapping.
More

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 15:56:02 »
it wont fit properly with the phantom plate currently designed. I could sell you an extra filco plate I have which would make it work.

Can my phantom have the Filco plate please?!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 17:00:43 »

I put a bifold of packing paper between the PCB and bottom plate... Because I was worried some of the pins might stick out and contact the base..  They don't seem to do that..

However, I believe you saw sparks because you may have a "pin" touching...

That, or cuz it's winter and the weather is very dry...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #362 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:06:13 »

I put a bifold of packing paper between the PCB and bottom plate... Because I was worried some of the pins might stick out and contact the base..  They don't seem to do that..

I think the board is just close enough that it was able to jump the gap.

Considering my cable sits under the board, there must be plenty of clearance. I'm going to open it up this weekend though and take a look. I didn't notice anything grounding the plate to the pcb, but in the stock Filco case, the plate is more protected. On this, the plate contacts the case, and paper, isn't going to stop a big enough jolt. It will stop a dead short, but stopping a 1/2in spark from static, not so much.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:08:45 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 19:13:25 »

I think the board is just close enough that it was able to jump the gap.

Considering my cable sits under the board, there must be plenty of clearance. I'm going to open it up this weekend though and take a look. I didn't notice anything grounding the plate to the pcb, but in the stock Filco case, the plate is more protected. On this, the plate contacts the case, and paper, isn't going to stop a big enough jolt. It will stop a dead short, but stopping a 1/2in spark from static, not so much.

anodized shouldn't conduct period. so if it is static build up from your hands.. hmmm...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #364 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 20:19:04 »
anodized shouldn't conduct period. so if it is static build up from your hands.. hmmm...

On contact, you are correct (I even checked the case, it is non-conductive).

Arcing however is an entirely different matter.
According to NASA and professional anodizers, anodizing is only (somewhat) static resistant, hard anodizing is needed to suppress anything serious and even then care must be taken as edges do not take to hard anodizing well.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Re: Vortex Aluminum Filco Case
« Reply #365 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 03:18:27 »

Can my phantom have the Filco plate please?!
sure send me a pm i have 2 or 3 filco plates

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #366 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:09:57 »
Well, it looks like the ferrite bead had less clearance than I thought.
I started to strip the heat shrink, planning to use the usb cable shielding as ground for the case and the bead was in 4 pieces. Oopsie! On the bright side, it took care of itself.

Anyhow, I grabbed a pic for those curious about the lack of standoffs and show why it doesn't need them. In the pics you can see it's supported and clamped along the entire top and bottom edge, the PCB floats. It's not a bad design, just different to what the stock Filco uses, which requires support in various places because plastic lacks the rigidity. Different materials have different properties and the design needs to change to take advantage of it. The Vortex design is actually quite a smart design, it's just a bummer it only supports the stock plates because of it. If you doubt how stoutly supported the floating board is, take a look at the ferrite bead parts. The PCB crushed it. You can also see just how much room is under the board while inside the case. Pins are probably only 1 or 2mm away in front, but about 5 in the rear.

The last few pics are how I grounded the chassis, no soldering necessary.
After stripping the heat shrink and shattered ferrite barrel, I cut open an SATA cable and pulled out two solid core insulator wires (these are just bare wires), I used about six inches of each. I slid those into the cable where the wires exited about an inch and a half, alongside the bare ground wire,  the shielding and ground wire on the USB cable is grounded in the computer. I then bent the wires back up to the plastic bead where it contacts the case, wrapped them around a few times and wrapped the entire length in electrical tape so as not to short out the board. I then filed the case where the cable passes through to remove the anodizing and make it conductive, and shoved the bead in. This took a little effort as the wires made it thicker. A quick squeeze with some needle nose made it easier. I cleaned the wrap a bit more since the pictures, but you can't see it while in use, so it doesn't matter if it's cleanly done or not.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:20:37 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #367 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:31:54 »
LOL, good work, but it just seems OCD/unnecessary. ;D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #368 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 00:23:42 »
I thought so too, until I saw a 1/2in spark jump from my finger to the case and watched the scroll lock LED light up really bright.

TWICE.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #369 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 01:42:18 »
I thought so too, until I saw a 1/2in spark jump from my finger to the case and watched the scroll lock LED light up really bright.

TWICE.

Do you have carpet? rubber sole slippers? dry skin?

I've yet to feel any static jump anywhere

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #370 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 03:40:53 »
Does anyone have A DUCKY shine, does that fit in this case?

I had a ducky shine yotd but I never took it apart...

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 04:05:19 »
Do you have carpet? rubber sole slippers? dry skin?

I've yet to feel any static jump anywhere
Certain parts of the country are far more prone to it than others. Here, you get zapped all the time.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline dieseldog49

« Reply #372 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 04:24:55 »
I am very tempted by this, it would give me a excuse to grab a CMR with Greens and make a project of it. BTW if you guys are looking for crazy high quality anodizing just look to the paintball industry its really amazing what they do there.

Offline BimboBB

« Reply #373 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:17:28 »

WFD mentioned earlier that it doesnt work exactly. Some filing might be necessary to fit in. And you have the problem with the detachable cable, same like the QFR.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:30:57 »

WFD mentioned earlier that it doesnt work exactly. Some filing might be necessary to fit in. And you have the problem with the detachable cable, same like the QFR.

filing? hmm.... I would go power grinder if anything ;D

Offline ShakeR

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #375 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:41:57 »
Red, Blue, Black, and Silver cases coming in next month. 

Just an FYI...

I kept wondering about the chance of arcing on these things.  Please PM me if anyone finds any serious problems (omg, my board is fried, etc.) with them.  :D
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #376 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:47:40 »

Just an FYI...

I kept wondering about the chance of arcing on these things.  Please PM me if anyone finds any serious problems (omg, my board is fried, etc.) with them.  :D

I'm not confident in Vortex's anodizing skills... they pretty much screwed up "base color" with many people's cases.. I had to return my bottom piece because it didn't match the top "at all", luckily they sent me another one that did. props to mech keyboard.com

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #377 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:17:14 »

Just an FYI...

Good to hear that you'll be stocking them ShakeR!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 03:25:45 »
We had an odd, warm winter day, and although I had to dodge rain and tornadoes, I got it all squared up, and painted.
Came out nice, I'll have to get better pics tomorrow, as it looks much better in person.

Other than feet, I'm quite pleased with this case, now if only my RA set would get here...

The backs of these are really wavy, like they took the rough casting and barely hit it with a mill. The sandblasted finish hides it well, but there were lots of low spots. The sides were better, and the front even better still, however there was high and low spots all around. They must be casting almost to exact size.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2013, 03:28:28 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #379 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 23:28:30 »
Got my Red Alert keys, but didn't have time to get a much better picture yet.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline inteli722

« Reply #380 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 06:36:40 »
Got my Red Alert keys, but didn't have time to get a much better picture yet.
Show Image

That looks great! I still need to find an aluminum case that has the keys above the invert-t cut out...
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #381 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 17:15:13 »
That looks great! I still need to find an aluminum case that has the keys above the invert-t cut out...

Dremel!
You could do it and it would barely be noticeable if you do it right.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline inteli722

« Reply #382 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 17:58:06 »

Dremel!
I would have to figure out how to do it with enough precision. I'm thinking of getting my own case CNCed, but that would be VERY expensive (Still, can't be much more expensive than the higher-end ones on here...

Anyone know how much a Custom CNCed case would be for just one?
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #383 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 18:16:06 »

Dremel!
I would have to figure out how to do it with enough precision. I'm thinking of getting my own case CNCed, but that would be VERY expensive (Still, can't be much more expensive than the higher-end ones on here...

hahahahaha

isn't that lz still going on? or is it closed

Offline inteli722

« Reply #384 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 19:33:57 »

Dremel!

hahahahaha

isn't that lz still going on? or is it closed

You mean the LZ-S or the LZ-GH? I'm not sure if those are Filco/Phantom compatible... and even still,

I would have to carve it up to make it work with the layout i'm eyeballing...all that Korean case goodness, just CARVED UP LIKE THAT. :'(

Maybe I could get a 3D-PRINTED CASE! not quite sure if that would be sturdy enough, but YOU CAN TRY!
More

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #385 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 20:19:58 »

I seem to recall boost being quoted ~250 for a prototype case *top*
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline inteli722

« Reply #386 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 20:29:43 »

I seem to recall boost being quoted ~250 for a prototype case *top*
OK, that's great! That's not out of the range that I could afford and, quite frankly, about as much as I was looking at to spend on a case for this. I'll have to wait for my birthday or save up, but worth it.
More

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #387 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 20:30:50 »
Dude... did you read it tho?  Just the top of the case.  Not the plate, not the bottom, no feet..
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline inteli722

« Reply #388 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 20:40:41 »
Dude... did you read it tho?  Just the top of the case.  Not the plate, not the bottom, no feet..

I could still make it work...but it would be harder...
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #389 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 23:54:40 »

It would be dead simple, just scribe a line from the lower set up to the upper set, tape it off, cut it with a hacksaw or Dremel, leaving a little extra and file it clean to where it needs to be. You aren't cutting around extra keys or anything and you already have points to work from so you aren't working blind.

An hour and a half is being generous if you have any power tools (Dremel) and at $150 per case, you can mess up twice for almost every custom top you have made. Being aluminum you could even have it repaired and try again or fill in the bad spot with JB Weld, paint and resell it for only a small loss.

I could still make it work...but it would be harder...
Harder is an understatement.
No lower case fits your boards controller.
No upper factory case fits your key layout.
No factory plate fits your key layout
Your plate won't fit into any case other than Filco and CM QFR.

It would be $250 for a top IF you design it right to be done cheaply (the longer it's on a mill the more it costs) and then that cost is only if you get it right the first time. $250 should be your minimum estimate... For a top. What about the bottom half? What about the plate? Feet? Nothing off the shelf will work.

What if it takes 3 tries to get it right? Even good cad designers miss things, that's why you have prototypes. You are actually looking at close to $600 for a case, add a couple hundred worth of keys, switches, value of current parts and all told you are quickly closing in on $1000, and that is a best case scenario, with you assembling and painting everything. It could break $1200 pretty easily (how many Korean boards could you buy with that?), and what if something goes wrong?

If you want to keep it at all all reasonable, here is what I would do
Take a Vortex and cut it, it's simple to do. Then take a stock Filco plate and add your necessary switch holes, it shouldn't be too difficult as you have a pattern to work from, just watch the heat, you don't want to warp it (if you want, trim the other holes to allow easy switch removal, again, you have a pattern to work from). For feet, buy some roundbar aluminum off Ebay and make a riser similar to the LZ (my material is on the way and I will document it). You just need a bar with two countersunk holes and two rubber pads. Total cost $13 and half an hour. This part is optional, but I would bolt it together without anything inside, then take a sanding block, belt sander or jitterbug and square everything up (like I did on mine) and then have it painted or re-anodized.

All told you are looking at a half days worth of work, and less than $200 in parts and material. There is no way you will get anything for anywhere close to that. Particularly with low risk. The only thing left is how to account for your controller. If it was me, I would cut a similar shaped hole in the bottom of the Vortex and let it peak through. Maybe add a thin sheet of plexiglass over it with some panhead allen screws.

Start in the morning, you could have the paint drying by dinner, and using it the next day.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #390 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 20:27:17 »
Started making my feet today.
I was using some rubber dome thingies, they worked and were really grippy, but not high enough. Here is my second attempt, it raises the keyboard about an inch (I wanted 3/4 but didn't account for how far forward the feet mounted).

This is the first test fitting, so things are still rough, but it is very solid.
It's a 5/8th inch aluminum bar, with some thick o-rings and recessed bolt seats. I still need to finish the ends, grind some grooves to hold the o-rings, clean it up and get some button head allen bolts. I may redo it with some 3/8 or 1/2in later though depending on how I feel about the height.

Ignore the unpainted bottom, have yet to paint it and may be redoing the case in brushed aluminum.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #391 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 20:47:43 »
Damn that looks good! Nice progress
I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #392 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 01:30:18 »
I was using some rubber dome thingies, they worked and were really grippy, but not high enough. Here is my second attempt, it raises the keyboard about an inch (I wanted 3/4 but didn't account for how far forward the feet mounted).

This is the first test fitting, so things are still rough, but it is very solid.
It's a 5/8th inch aluminum bar, with some thick o-rings and recessed bolt seats. I still need to finish the ends, grind some grooves to hold the o-rings, clean it up and get some button head allen bolts. I may redo it with some 3/8 or 1/2in later though depending on how I feel about the height.

Ignore the unpainted bottom, have yet to paint it and may be redoing the case in brushed aluminum.

Cool stuff..

But Why not just Tilt the table towards you instead.. ??? tape some coins to the bottom.. that's MUCH MUCH easier than this, and better for your shoulders.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #393 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 01:31:49 »

Cool stuff..

But Why not just Tilt the table towards you instead.. ??? tape some coins to the bottom.. that's MUCH MUCH easier than this, and better for your shoulders.

This one time...I had coins.....I spent it on coffee

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #394 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 01:32:46 »

Cool stuff..

Ok, I get it now, a little solo partying tonight, ;D?

quite typical of GH members I'd assume.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #395 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 01:36:03 »

Cool stuff..

Ok, I get it now, a little solo partying tonight, ;D?

quite typical of GH members I'd assume.

Yuss. Indeed.

Offline Xaviz

« Reply #396 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 13:51:24 »
What jokers... 1 month to arrive and they gave me the wrong screws. They don't go all the way through to the main plate, hahahaha... **** me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #397 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 14:15:36 »
What jokers... 1 month to arrive and they gave me the wrong screws. They don't go all the way through to the main plate, hahahaha... **** me.

where did you order.

Offline Xaviz

« Reply #398 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 14:37:09 »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 16:44:44 »
Email or call MK, they will send you another set, fast.

It's a simple enough fix though, that will only cost you a buck or so.

The screws you want are button head, allen keyed M3-.5 x 8   (m3 diameter, .5 thread, 8mm long),  (10 should also work)

These also work.
Panhead (flat), allen keyed M3-.50 x 10  (m3 diameter, .5 thread, 10mm long),  (6mm is too short, 12 is too long)

Total cost at a hardware store is like $2
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More