Author Topic: Groundin'  (Read 1749 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Groundin'
« on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 05:51:19 »
So.... lets say... the whole house is 2 pin..

If I want ground for computer..   Can I just  Solder a wire to the ground pin.. And clamp that around some steel water pipes ??

Offline feizor

Re: Groundin'
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 07:59:06 »
So.... lets say... the whole house is 2 pin..

If I want ground for computer..   Can I just  Solder a wire to the ground pin.. And clamp that around some steel water pipes ??

Make sure your waterpipes actually go into the ground...

1 meter earthspike is probably better.

*trained electricians please add comment.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 08:53:25 »
There will be something, somewhere, or else the entire building situation is dangerous.

If the house is decades old, you may have to go all the way back to the fuse box to find it.

Any electrical engineer will tell you that grounding can be a tricky and arcane scenario, but things do need to be grounded.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 14:07:44 »
There is no ground for sure... even at fuse box..

So.. Earth Spike...  1 meter is enough?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 15:31:27 »
1 meter is enough?

You are trying to make an electrical connection with the Earth itself.

A small short thing will do it in firm wet soil, but it will take a lot more contact if the soil is loose and/or dry.

One meter of good solid spike driven down hard into firm soil is generally considered adequate. If you can find a naked metal pipe running into the ground, that is probably easier and more reliable.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 15:49:34 »
You're best using a ground clamp on that ground rod, you can connect your ground cable to it way easier, with just a few set screws. Just drive it in bro! That also means likely that you should go run a loomex (generic brand household wire) from your newly grounded box to your computer mains,  and ground that socket. There's also power conditioning to consider, if you want to go nuts and your power isn't the best.

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 15:51:55 »
Inb4 all of that, contact a licensed electrician since you can die, etc.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 17:47:14 »
ob niioo domr turr a hoel in urs spoyc teim ****yuum nioo

anyways, tp4, just do like you always do: use a long word itll probably fix everything
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 19:22:23 »

Are you sure...? this is ground , so it's the excess static from PC, can't be much power

So.. 

No place to easily drive an earth spike.. at least not an 8 foot one..

Back to the water pipe idea...   yes no?? 

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 19:37:14 »

Are you sure...? this is ground , so it's the excess static from PC, can't be much power
If you're running new wires to your outlets from your fuse panel, probably.

Water pipe idea could be plausible. Basically you want any power that is where it shouldn't be to have a direct source to ground. Lightning strikes being a big one! But DC static charges can build up from AC (apparently) in large enough amounts to really **** your rig.

P.s., this seems fairly accurate http://amasci.com/amateur/whygnd.html

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 19:39:16 »
BS 1363 master race checking in

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 19:47:23 »

BS 1363 master race checking in

Show Image

weirdo
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:35:59 »
I think that I read somewhere that there is an average 50,000 volt difference in charge between the earth and the upper atmosphere.

Conversations with old-timer electricians or electrical engineers will yield some surprising stories about static, grounding, and the way electrical charge can move around in most unexpected ways.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 08:54:44 »
You can use a cold water pipe as a ground connection... IF it is actually grounded and IF you hook the wire up within 5ft of where it enters the building.

You can check by using a multimeter on AC setting and connect it between a "Neutral" terminal of your socket and the pipe. If it shows zero or close to zero volts (less than 3v), you're good. Copper pipes are best, but it should still work with steel.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 08:28:31 »
Hey gUys..

Is there like.. a Diode... that's lightning proof?

Say I wire up the ground of my PC to the lightning rod...   can I put a Diode between the ground and the rod...

I want to make sure the current can't flow toward the PC..