Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 223154 times)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #700 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 07:58:48 »

If you guys are interested, I'm posting a worklog of my espresso machine restoration/upgrade here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Will the upgrade be completed by Sunday?  ;)

For sure
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #701 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 14:22:04 »
I know it's not coffee but this is my favorite caffeine mix!
Tea and dark chocolate, and from England!! Yummm, thank you so much smarmar!!

I already ate some chocolate  ;D  and I'll have a cup of tea before bed. I'm so excited to try some, the smell is amazing ^_^

Thank you again, what an awesome surprise  :p

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #702 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 23:37:13 »
You're totally welcome, Jema!
I'm glad you like the chocolate. I have yet to try it and it looked exotic. I'll see what other kinds of fancy treats that place has.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #703 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:16:50 »
Any Dutchies around? Anything better than Simon Levelt?

I always go to Simon Levelt to buy my coffee, which is a Dutch coffee brand and shop with a long history.

I led them grind it and then I put it in my freezer to preserve the taste and smell. I have a vacuum container to store my fresh coffee to preserve aroma's and taste and I make coffee by manually poring. Tastes best for me.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #704 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 15:20:02 »
I know it's not coffee but this is my favorite caffeine mix!
Tea and dark chocolate, and from England!! Yummm, thank you so much smarmar!!

I already ate some chocolate  ;D  and I'll have a cup of tea before bed. I'm so excited to try some, the smell is amazing ^_^

Thank you again, what an awesome surprise  :p
Show Image

That tea looks great

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #705 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 05:10:08 »

I always go to Simon Levelt to buy my coffee, which is a Dutch coffee brand and shop with a long history.

I led them grind it and then I put it in my freezer to preserve the taste and smell. I have a vacuum container to store my fresh coffee to preserve aroma's and taste and I make coffee by manually poring. Tastes best for me.

Not Dutch, but I know that the best espresso machines in the world come from over there. Here in the UK the specialty coffee scene is booming. There are any number of places you can get great/amazing/life-changing coffee, either in a cup to drink right now or beans to brew at home. My experience is that many of the older suppliers haven't really caught on to the whole first-three-weeks-after-roasting thing yet, and often roast too dark to get any interesting flavours out of their beans. The (many!) new upstart small-scale roasters are really where it's at.

edit: Had a look around Simon Levelt website but didn't find what I was looking for - basically if they write the roast date on the package then it's probably pretty decent.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2016, 05:25:18 by zombimuncha »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #706 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 06:48:37 »

Not Dutch, but I know that the best espresso machines in the world come from over there. Here in the UK the specialty coffee scene is booming. There are any number of places you can get great/amazing/life-changing coffee, either in a cup to drink right now or beans to brew at home. My experience is that many of the older suppliers haven't really caught on to the whole first-three-weeks-after-roasting thing yet, and often roast too dark to get any interesting flavours out of their beans. The (many!) new upstart small-scale roasters are really where it's at.

edit: Had a look around Simon Levelt website but didn't find what I was looking for - basically if they write the roast date on the package then it's probably pretty decent.

They usually do write that on the package, but not always. Depends on the employee you get. But most of them are actual baristas trained by Simon Levelt themselves. They even pay their employees to visit bean fields and see how coffee is actually produced. But there are also these vacation employees who can barely distinguish coffee from tea.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #707 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 07:38:40 »
Anybody in CONUS looking to swap coffee? I just started getting into high quality beans/brewing and would love to try some out from other people's areas.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #708 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 07:40:35 »
Anybody in CONUS looking to swap coffee? I just started getting into high quality beans/brewing and would love to try some out from other people's areas.

I'm always down to trade. I ususally grab from Coffee Emporium in Cincinnati. I love their Ethiopian coffee.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #709 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 08:18:14 »

I'm always down to trade. I ususally grab from Coffee Emporium in Cincinnati. I love their Ethiopian coffee.

This is my shop, right down the street from me. Been loving the Bali Kintamani, but really all their varieties are good.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #710 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 08:24:57 »
Cool, I'll try and get down to coffee emporium soon to grab you some beans. PM me your address Dernubenfrieken?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #711 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 12:31:59 »
Today's brew:

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #712 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 12:36:26 »
Today's brew:
Show Image

That's some serious juju coffee
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #713 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 13:32:15 »
Posted in the mail thread, but forgot to post here.
131469-0
Got a bag of this courtesy of CPTBadAss. Great stuff, light with a great bourbony finish. Highly recommended for a good hangover brew  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #714 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 21:47:28 »
I could do with a great Geekhack coffee atm.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline smarmar

« Reply #715 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 14:10:09 »
I bought some Counter Culture beans from Fresh Market on a whim the other day. I settled on this one because it was the only brand that sported a roast date and the aroma wafting from the vent was amazing! It's really good with a rich, bold, fruity taste. It isn't described as fruity on the package therefore I think the undertones are coming from the crema I've been adding to it which was made from my leftover Cuban espresso. Just look at that head!
132070-0
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline jaffers

« Reply #716 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 14:13:27 »
Might start looking around the local markets for some coffee soon, even though I just got a new bag, I go through about 1kg of grinds every two weeks D:

Offline Kompanion

« Reply #717 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 20:32:02 »
I'll exchange with anyone.. conus or no. I have a pretty legit local coffee shop near me and I love trying anything new.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #718 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 19:34:20 »
Are there people here doing the roasting themselves? I can trade from my home country.. The Netherlands. I'm curious about more Brazilian beans. My local shop is Simon Levelt. They grind beans freshly and put them in airtight plastic lined bags that I put in the freezer back at home.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #719 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 20:01:51 »
I don't have anything to trade but just wanted to share my excitement over this new acquisition...the seller thought the heater was burned out but the internal thermal switch just needed resetting. Also needs new seals but shouldn't be too hard. Got it for over 90% off!

La Pavoni Professional lever espresso machine
I'm back.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #720 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 14:11:47 »
I don't have anything to trade but just wanted to share my excitement over this new acquisition...the seller thought the heater was burned out but the internal thermal switch just needed resetting. Also needs new seals but shouldn't be too hard. Got it for over 90% off!

Show Image

Daaaaamn, son!
Lever espresso machines are so pretty!

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #721 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 14:21:32 »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #722 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 16:06:32 »

Show Image

Daaaaamn, son!
Lever espresso machines are so pretty!

I know right?  All that chrome...its just bound to make amazing coffee looking like that.

Was that for Clackvent? :confused:
I'm back.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #723 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:49:22 »

Show Image

You don't need two espresso machines, right?  Right??  :P  Kidding!  That looks lovely though.  :O  WTB heedspresso shot

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #724 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 19:25:48 »

Show Image

You don't need two espresso machines, right?  Right??  :P  Kidding!  That looks lovely though.  :O  WTB heedspresso shot

Uh, hmmm, not sure how to put this...I actually didn't only buy the La Pavoni...I got the La Cimbali also

It needs a bit more work than the Pavoni....
I'm back.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #725 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:11:33 »

Uh, hmmm, not sure how to put this...I actually didn't only buy the La Pavoni...I got the La Cimbali also

LOL  :))  Because of course you did!  :P  Where do you find all these deals??  I'm starting to think I should buy one like this and fix it up, rather than shell out for a brand new machine... Hmm...

Offline calavera

« Reply #726 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 23:50:08 »
quick question, what do you do when your beans start becoming "wet"?
It's freaking spring here with low humidity and yet I notice this happening regardless of where I store them.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #727 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 06:28:24 »
It's freaking spring here with low humidity and yet I notice this happening regardless of where I store them.

It is likely the oils coming out of the beans as they age. Particularly on darker roasts. It is said that freezing the beans can accelerate this.

Never ever open a container of cold beans (just out of the fridge or freezer, which I don't recommend anyway). This will cause condensation on them and they will go rancid much faster.

The oil on the outside of the beans is not something to worry about. It's best to wash oil out of your grinder hopper, jar, etc as the oil is what goes rancid in coffee primarily. The oils can also make your grinder's burrs a little sticky. If that happens, just run some minute rice through it and the rice will flush it out and absorb any excess oil in there.
I'm back.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #728 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 07:39:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

you planning on reselling any of these? :3

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #729 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 07:40:49 »
I'll exchange with anyone.. conus or no. I have a pretty legit local coffee shop near me and I love trying anything new.

I'll have to hit you up soon. Gotta get through some of the other bags that I have first but I enjoy trading coffee :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #730 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 07:53:17 »

Show Image

Show Image

+1  :3

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #731 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 14:48:32 »
I live in Vancouver and would be happy to try this with someone. I'm not a big fan of coffee but it would be nice to surprise my gf with something new to try.
Biking is fun.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #732 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 00:42:27 »

Show Image

Whoa dude that's beautiful! Great score.

Anyone looking to trade beans? I'm in Vancouver, BC. I've got pretty good access to pacific northwest-ish stuff, plus a few fun local shops here. Popular beans lately around here include Bows&Arrows, Phil&Sebastian, Slate, Heart, and Matchstick. PM me if your interested in swapping stuff.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #733 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 10:16:33 »

Show Image

Show Image

Yes, my own wifu has given me a generous amount of counter space for coffee and I'm waaaaay over.  Again.

Show Image

Show Image

Yesh.  Will trade for Kishsaver and BS Keypacitor.  ;D

Show Image

Whoa dude that's beautiful! Great score.

Anyone looking to trade beans? I'm in Vancouver, BC. I've got pretty good access to pacific northwest-ish stuff, plus a few fun local shops here. Popular beans lately around here include Bows&Arrows, Phil&Sebastian, Slate, Heart, and Matchstick. PM me if your interested in swapping stuff.

Thanks!  Once I work through my current projects and get back to roasting, I'd be happy to trade with some folks.
I'm back.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #734 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 11:10:49 »

An impossible request.  :'(  There is no BS Keypacitor!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #735 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 11:12:48 »
I forgot this was actually a thread! There are a few people here that will be getting some of Raleighs best coffee in the mail soon  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #736 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 11:15:28 »

Yup. 

I forgot this was actually a thread! There are a few people here that will be getting some of Raleighs best coffee in the mail soon  :thumb:

All my espresso beans come from Counter Culture!
I'm back.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #737 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 11:30:40 »

Yup. 

I will never get a heed-presso :(

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #738 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 07:09:10 »
Anybody got tips / suggestions how to roast beans myself?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #739 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 07:55:34 »

Yup. 

Nice!! They definitely have some of the best coffee around!
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #740 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 17:51:22 »
My Ethiopian Yirgacheffe arrived a day early.

I may not be a full-fledged coffee snob just yet, but this is the best coffee I've ever bought. It's currently our addiction of choice.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline smarmar

« Reply #741 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 11:43:57 »

Yup. 

Nice!! They definitely have some of the best coffee around!
I just discovered Counter Culture last month at my local Fresh Market grocer. On a whim, I decided to go with whole bean instead of my usual cheapo preground Cuban espresso. Man, is it good! I'm hooked on the Forty Six!

Offline smarmar

« Reply #742 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 11:24:17 »

It is likely the oils coming out of the beans as they age. Particularly on darker roasts. It is said that freezing the beans can accelerate this.

Never ever open a container of cold beans (just out of the fridge or freezer, which I don't recommend anyway). This will cause condensation on them and they will go rancid much faster.

The oil on the outside of the beans is not something to worry about. It's best to wash oil out of your grinder hopper, jar, etc as the oil is what goes rancid in coffee primarily. The oils can also make your grinder's burrs a little sticky. If that happens, just run some minute rice through it and the rice will flush it out and absorb any excess oil in there.

I recently bought a bag of espresso bean from Mazzaro's Italian Market in St. Pete and the beans were oily and wet right out of the shoot. They made a fine cup o' joe, though. I just had to clean the grinder more often because there was some gunk action going on. I'll have to try the dry rice technique next time.

And for all of you Tampa/St. Pete people, I recommend a trip to Mazzaro's. They brew the best espresso I've ever had!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #743 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 12:25:26 »
156380-0

Offline smarmar

« Reply #744 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 14:20:04 »
I thoroughly enjoyed my Little Cuban Friend by Coffee Shop Of Horrors while it lasted. I picked it up at my local game/comics/art shoppe called Gods & Monsters. It was rather oily, which I like, but I had to clean my grinder several times throughout the bag's lifespan  Recommend! :thumb:
168537-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
168539-1" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
Look at that creamy head!
168541-2" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
Oh baby!
168543-3" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Offline smarmar

« Reply #745 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 14:21:48 »
Images came in sideways again. I quit.  :mad:

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #746 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 19:46:13 »
I thoroughly enjoyed my Little Cuban Friend by Coffee Shop Of Horrors while it lasted. I picked it up at my local game/comics/art shoppe called Gods & Monsters. It was rather oily, which I like, but I had to clean my grinder several times throughout the bag's lifespan  Recommend! :thumb:
Show Image
(Attachment Link) " alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Show Image

Show Image

Oh baby!
Show Image

Looks yummy bro!  You need to make me a cup of that one of these days...

So, I've done some modifications to my roaster. Picked up a metal tool cart off CL, added an arduino computer interface and a little screen.

I'm back.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #747 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 19:47:06 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh baby!
Show Image

So, I've done some modifications to my roaster. Picked up a metal tool cart off CL, added an arduino computer interface and a little screen.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Damn that is a high class setup. I might need to stop by if I end up in Florida.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #748 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 19:53:57 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh baby!
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Damn that is a high class setup. I might need to stop by if I end up in Florida.

Go for it :D
I'm back.