Author Topic: Skilled Trades  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Skilled Trades
« on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 05:22:52 »
Anyone here work in the union skilled trades? 

Union Millwright here out of L.U. 2158

Melvang
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:02:48 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: Skilled Trades
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:03:32 »
Ok so apparently nobody here is union.  Alright anyone work in the skilled construction trades at all?  Or am I just that much of an oddball?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:09:18 »
I have worked closely with union shops before. I'm a mechanical engineer and I design jet engine parts. I also had an internship where the guys who worked at the firing range were union as well but I forgot their name :(

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:13:36 »
So you are the one that me and the guys I work with are constantly cussing out for having ZERO common sense.  jk but we really do get some retarded ideas that actually make it to a finalized print.  the one saving grace is when in the bottom right corner of the print it says "Field Verify All Measurements"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:20:29 »
Field Verify All Measurements is the 11th commandment.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:24:05 »
So you are the one that me and the guys I work with are constantly cussing out for having ZERO common sense.  jk but we really do get some retarded ideas that actually make it to a finalized print.  the one saving grace is when in the bottom right corner of the print it says "Field Verify All Measurements"

Yes. Just don't cuss me out too bad if we ever meet IRL  :-X

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:07:20 »
Field Verify All Measurements is the 11th commandment.

21484-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:18:32 »
I've always wanted to be a black smith.. and join a guild

I even bought an Anvil the other day..  it's very satisfying to hammer something against an anvil.. :D

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:27:44 »
it's very satisfying to hammer something against an anvil.. :D

It is very much so.  I made a small jig the other week at work for coping handrail.  Just took a piece of 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x1/8" angle cut one side off and wrapped it around a piece of the handrail cut so the ends met then tacked it together and then just took a 4" grinder to it until i had the right shape.  Now there is no guess work about the copes.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 12:17:41 »
With the way my job search is going, I'm seriously debating going toward the skilled trades.  I've done carpentry and some other stuff before and enjoy it.  If you know any good reference materials for apprenticeships or classes and know anything about which ones are in more demand, I'd love some info. 

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 12:21:48 »
With the way my job search is going, I'm seriously debating going toward the skilled trades.  I've done carpentry and some other stuff before and enjoy it.  If you know any good reference materials for apprenticeships or classes and know anything about which ones are in more demand, I'd love some info.

Contact your local carpenter's union.  I worked my way through college as a carpenter, and was considering a career in the field.  Fell into telecommunications almost by accident.

https://www.carpenters.org/Home.aspx

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 12:58:29 »
Hey Nub I would look into the Millwright local.  If I am not mistaken the Local that covers your area is Local 1607 and their office numbers are 323-724-0178...323-724-0249.  They should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.  I couldn't find any info for wages in that local but last i looked IIRC journeyman's wage in norther CA was around 37 an hour on the check plus benefits.  Where I am at in IA it is 25.79 on the check plus benefits.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:02:02 »
Hey Nub I would look into the Millwright local.  If I am not mistaken the Local that covers your area is Local 1607 and their office numbers are 323-724-0178...323-724-0249.  They should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.  I couldn't find any info for wages in that local but last i looked IIRC journeyman's wage in norther CA was around 37 an hour on the check plus benefits.  Where I am at in IA it is 25.79 on the check plus benefits.

Thanks, I'll look into that. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:06:13 »
it's very satisfying to hammer something against an anvil.. :D

It is very much so. I made a small jig the other week at work for coping handrail.  Just took a piece of 1 1/2"x1 1/2"x1/8" angle cut one side off and wrapped it around a piece of the handrail cut so the ends met then tacked it together and then just took a 4" grinder to it until i had the right shape.  Now there is no guess work about the copes.

alright now Everything in bold  said by the Classy-lady below,  MUST Watch in 1080p...

Yes, I know she looks terrible in 2013... video from 1984  :cool:

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:09:03 »
I do, I am a designer.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:00:11 »
Just wanted to flag a news story that relates to the thread topic.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/camping-out-for-five-days-in-hopes-of-a-union-job/

"The men began arriving last Wednesday, first a trickle, then dozens. By Friday there were hundreds of them, along with a few women.

They set up their tents and mattresses on the sidewalk in Long Island City, Queens, unpacked their Coronas and cards – and settled in to wait as long as five days and nights for a slender chance at a union job as an elevator mechanic.

On Monday morning, Local 3 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers would hand out applications for its training program. Those in line – there were more than 800 by sun-up Monday — were hoping for a chance at job security, higher salaries and other benefits.

Andres Loaiza, 25, had his eye on a position that includes minimal physical labor.

“I want to get to that point where I would troubleshoot and not kill my back anymore,” said Mr. Loaiza, who currently does nonunion electrical and mechanical elevator work. And the union, he added, looking years down the road, would provide college funding for his son, who is now 4.

Every 18 to 20 months, the union accepts 750 applications for the 150 to 200 spots in its four-year apprenticeship program, distributing them from the second-floor office of its elevator division on 36th Street. Those who pass a test and are accepted start out making $17 an hour. If they complete the program, which includes college-level classes, they become journey workers, making $35 to $40 an hour with pensions and full medical benefits."

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:13:16 »
A lot of younger kids (late teens coming out of highschool) don't realize that you can make a good living with a skilled trade.  Shoot, I didn't even realize how well some trades were paid until I took over the certified payroll reporting at my current job (commercial plumbing & solar contractor).
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline gliy

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:18:35 »
A lot of younger kids (late teens coming out of highschool) don't realize that you can make a good living with a skilled trade.  Shoot, I didn't even realize how well some trades were paid until I took over the certified payroll reporting at my current job (commercial plumbing & solar contractor).

Yup I know at least to me there was 2 options: go to college and get a well paying job or don't and get stuck doing some menial labor for cheap wages.

Very few trade schools exist in the US(excluding culinary), and fewer apprenticeships. NPR has covered this issue several times, my favorite of their articles is http://www.npr.org/2011/09/08/140279170/reviving-apprenticeships-could-solve-skills-gap-spark-economy

Offline mauri

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:35:17 »
Man american school structure is so weird. Went to upper secondary school (6th form or high school for you guys?) and and a vocational school (trade school) at the same time. And became a painter (surface finishing or sth it is called) which is weird because I'm applying to a polytechnic (university of applied sciences??) for data processing

When exactly does american compulsory education end? After high school .. or?
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:57:18 by mauri »
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:47:25 »
I am a journeyman tool and die maker, did the two year high school vo-tech thing at the local community college and worked in the field for 12 or 13 years, pre-CNC machines, way back in the late 70s and early 80s. Yes, I am older than dirt.   :)

John
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 10:35:12 by jcrouse »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 10:26:18 »
My dad's an electrical engineer, that's about as close as I get :)

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 11:13:51 »
John, then you must be able to make a keycap mold? :)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:04:32 »
How do you think he made so many clacks? :))

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:21:19 »
I was a member of a union in grad school and I have worked with Unions in my professional life. I'm not much of a fan.

Basically they are companies designed to enrich their senior members until they drive the work overseas.  Yeah,  no thanks.  I haven't been real impressed with the work either,  and definitely not the attitudes.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:25:32 »
Was also a designer with 10+ years in Autocad, starting with the DOS version, and an injection mold technician for 3 years. I understand the molding process pretty well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:26:41 »

well, since some people consider $70k a great living, ups pays that to drivers.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:27:19 »
Was also a designer with 10+ years in Autocad, starting with the DOS version, and an injection mold technician for 3 years. I understand the molding process pretty well.

explain the triple shot xbox one controller keys please...

what do they need triple shot for?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:29:38 »
Ok so apparently nobody here is union.  Alright anyone work in the skilled construction trades at all?  Or am I just that much of an oddball?

When I worked at Boeing (BCA) on 787 I was in the local machinists union 751 IIRC, does that count :P

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:41:02 »

I'm not a console guy but would guess the product, a button maybe, has two colors, in addition to the button itself.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:48:24 »

I'm not a console guy but would guess the product, a button maybe, has two colors, in addition to the button itself.

is triple shot, all at once, or do they mix 2, and then the 3rd in a separate machine

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:02:20 »
Can't say for sure. Our product was all single shot. Bear in mind this was in the late 80s and a lot has probably changed. A google search would get you the answers you are looking for. We had two product lines, closures and pharmacuticals. One of our closure products was the big white caps on a bottle of Scope mouthwash. A medical product would have been the 21 and 28 day dial dispensers for birth control pills. Our closure molds were multi cavity, usually 64 pieces at a time. A typical press cycle time may have been 64 Scope caps every 30 seconds  or so.

Offline Parak

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:46:32 »

Ermahgerd. Could I possibly briefly harass you for some non-keycap-but-still-keyboard related plastic advice for injection molding? :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 12:47:37 »
Hm, sounds like we've done a lot of the same stuff jcrouse. That's cool :D

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 01:07:10 »
I belonged to the Teamsters for a couple years as a computer operator.
 :)
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 01:29:53 »
Nuclear Security Officer here! We have a Union, but I don't pay dues.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 01:33:06 »
bleh, unions.

the few i've worked along side of had the most lazy workers i've ever had to deal with. (construction)
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 01:47:51 »
I have no viable skills, that's why I'm a producer  ;)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 07:04:43 »
bleh, unions.

the few i've worked along side of had the most lazy workers i've ever had to deal with. (construction)

A few does not represent the whole.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 12:02:46 »
I work in well intervention - wireline, coiled tubing, etc. No unions in the oil and gas industry.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 22:40:38 »
bleh, unions.

A few does not represent the whole.

When you can't get fired, what's the motivation to do anything?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 23:23:06 »
Trust me you can get fired.  I have seen it on every job I have been on for over 6 weeks.  I have seen guys fired on one day shutdowns.