Author Topic: What time of the year do you guys run out..  (Read 7635 times)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: What time of the year do you guys run out..
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 15:55:33 »
It seems I'm lucky enough to have never owned an OCZ product :P I have yet to try an SSD, still using my regular HDD's :P

Amazing! I refuse to use internal mechanical drivers, mainly due to the noise. I might have something for you when we get to Florida :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:11:46 »
It seems I'm lucky enough to have never owned an OCZ product :P I have yet to try an SSD, still using my regular HDD's :P

Amazing! I refuse to use internal mechanical drivers, mainly due to the noise. I might have something for you when we get to Florida :)

You're amazing! Up until now I've just chosen what has the highest capacity for the best price. I do get 7200 rpm on my internal drives though. Should be fun when you come to Florida :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:18:33 »
Your " mirroring " experience is laughable since at best you have what 30-50 different brand drives that are ran in similar environments?. You've experienced a case of bandwagon-ing,  granted google is a good wagon, even then...
30-50 drives at best?
Only if you count the first floor.  :)

Shall we head into the basement and start counting? How about the 7 satellite offices or my other clients?

What the hell do you guys fill these drives up with? I mean, if you're in audio/video production I can understand, but seriously...
Home build PVR's, extreme music collections... Many people rip their DVD's and make on demand movie players.

Back when 250 gig drives were the biggest you could get for a reasonable price, I knew someone with 700 gigs of mp3's. It took around 150 DVD's to backup.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:25:43 »
Your " mirroring " experience is laughable since at best you have what 30-50 different brand drives that are ran in similar environments?. You've experienced a case of bandwagon-ing,  granted google is a good wagon, even then...
30-50 drives at best?
Only if you count the first floor.  :)

Shall we head into the basement and start counting? How about the 7 satellite offices or my other clients?

What the hell do you guys fill these drives up with? I mean, if you're in audio/video production I can understand, but seriously...
Home build PVR's, extreme music collections... Many people rip their DVD's and make on demand movie players.

Back when 250 gig drives were the biggest you could get for a reasonable price, I knew someone with 700 gigs of mp3's. It took around 150 DVD's to backup.

//face-palm..

Google says, INCONCLUSIVE... whatever sample size you have relative to google... how can YOU draw any conclusions whatsoever.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 01:24:42 »
i always use WD blacks.  i never had a problem them with them even in a raid config.

That's what I'm going to buy soon. 5-year warranty + encryption = win.

Hence.. Less heat = better..

Actually, HDDs in cold (definitely about 0 °C or less) environments are more prone to failure.

Offline iri

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:33:45 »
a month ago my ssd with photos from christiania died.
iri sad.

which ssd?

Probably an OCZ :p
a crucial :p
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:48:57 »
iri sad.

which ssd?

Oh boy, well at least they're good with returns/exchanges :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 05:32:31 »
iri sad.

which ssd?

Which crucial... did you update the firmware?

Offline iri

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 06:55:32 »
iri sad.

which ssd?

Which crucial... did you update the firmware?
m4. no.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Trent

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 19:45:47 »
I only buy those seagates, and you have to buy 3-4 at a time, because at least 1 of them will be faulty...

That's ridiculous. Always buy drives from different manufacturers, or at least different batches, so they won't fail at the same time in the future.

On topic: I've had two 500GB drives (one internal, one external for backups) for two years, and I'm fine. I don't collect data, only backup books (few hundred MBs), music (currently ~30 GB, mostly 320kbps MP3s) and my own photos (probably about 6 GB a year).

There's a reason I ONLY buy those seagates though, because they're the cheapest ones per GB...  3 years in a row I've bought 3 at a time, and I've always gotten 1 with bad sectors after a week of testing..

You could make infinite excuses about my computers being faulty, but the ones that didn't have sector problems from 2 years ago are still working perfectly today..

x 2.  My Seagate external died very quickly.  A couple of weeks.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 20:11:05 »
Haven't had a hard drive die on me in...15 years now?

I have a 250gb WD that I bought in early '07 that's still going strong. Two others, including a seagate external, from the same year are in great shape.

Think I'm the only person who's had a good experience with OCZ. I have two 120gb Vertex 3's that are two years old and have been rock solid.

And watch..tomorrow I'll have everything blow up on me just for toting fate.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 09:35:19 »
I had an OS HDD die on me. But I put that thing through 6+ years of hard work. All day, every day seeding, as well as general everyday computer use. I actually bought another PATA drive to replace it, and get my "seedbox" back up and running.