Author Topic: The quality of Korean movies  (Read 5195 times)

Offline bazemk1979

The quality of Korean movies
« on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 19:15:24 »
I somehow landed on an Asian movie 2-3 weeks, saying Asian since I'm not sure exactly from what country it was, but every since then I have been watching bunch of them, I mean tons of them. So far from what I have watched I can classify them in this order when considering story line,plot and end reveal: Korean > Japanese = Chinese > Thai.

No matter what movie is, horror, thriller, action, comedy, love story etc etc etc the producer drives you in rollercoaster of emotions subconsciously. Every time I watch Hollywood movie it does not affect me, sure movie with a great effects, but I know that I would not want to watch it again.

While Korean movies especially, after your done watching the movie... it stays with you, you keep on rewinding it the next day, its like it left a fingerprint on you. I know I would not have problem watching the same movie 2-3 times more, the combination of good acting, having proper music for the proper scene, and having a gut wrenching and heart breaking story line is where I think Hollywood big shots  have a lot to learn from Asian producers. No money can do what pure talent can. 
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: The quality of Korean movies
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 19:23:07 »
Check out "Audition"...it's Japanese, not Korean.  Fun movie though.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 19:25:45 »

I didn't like audition.. I liked the full length version of Dumplings, i think it was an Hongkong movie. I remember cantonese.

Offline calavera

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 19:26:36 »
I think in general Korean movies still lack the finesse of Hollywood due to smaller production budget...etc but there are a few that are just awesome.  I highly recommend:

Oldboy (Hollywood is remaking this with Josh Brolin as main character)
Gwang Hae (Name of a King)
Berlin (sequel in the works)
Shin Sae Gae (translated means 'new world', also sequel in the works)
Hwal (translated means bow/arrow)

And there are others but I can't remember them anymore.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 19:31:12 »

I didn't like audition.. I liked the full length version of Dumplings, i think it was an Hongkong movie. I remember cantonese.

Dumplings was good.  Suicide Club was good too, though I admit I had to google the meaning behind the movie.

Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 19:38:05 »

Dumplings was good.  Suicide Club was good too, though I admit I had to google the meaning behind the movie.

I googled the meaning to suicide club, and I still didn't get it...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:30:41 »
x2 for Oldboy, **** absolutely everything about that remake coming
The Raid was awesome, not sure if it was Korean
Also check out The Host. Amazing monster flick.

A lot of Korean movies I find to be really tongue-in-cheek, so I can never take them too seriously because they don't seem to either. Fun either way though.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:32:57 »
I'm going to have to stay out of this thread in fear I'll be camping in here all day talking about Korean and Japanese films :))

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:34:02 »
One of my favourite films of all time is Korean, although I cannot say that I have watched many eastern movies.

It's called 'The Good, The Bad and The Weird'. Very entertaining. In fact I'm going to rewatch it now..
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:35:13 »
One of my favourite films of all time is Korean, although I cannot say that I have watched many eastern movies.

It's called 'The Good, The Bad and The Weird'. Very entertaining. In fact I'm going to rewatch it now..

Kim Ji Woon is one of my favorite if not my favorite Korean director. Go do yourself a favor and watch A Bittersweet Life and I Saw The Devil.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:40:32 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:36:21 »

Kim Ji Woon is one of my favorite if not my favorite Korean director. Go do yourself a favor and watch A Bittersweet Life and I Saw The Devil.
I shall do that some time. Thank you for the suggestions!
github

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:41:23 »

I shall do that some time. Thank you for the suggestions!

A Bittersweet Life first as that one is my favorite :) But watch I Saw The Devil too. Lee Byung Hun is a superb actor... it's too bad he is only doing crappy action roles in Hollywood.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:43:18 »
Oh I almost forgot, Cello. A great movies to watch with your kids  :rolleyes:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:44:51 »

A Bittersweet Life first as that one is my favorite :) But watch I Saw The Devil too. Lee Byung Hun is a superb actor... it's too bad he is only doing crappy action roles in Hollywood.
Yeah. He acted very well in TGTBTW, although Song Kang-ho was still by far my favourite in that film. Probably because his character was so great. He was also really good in The Host.
github

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:45:01 »
Oh I almost forgot, Cello. A great movies to watch with your kids  :rolleyes:

Lol! So many trollin'. In that case, watch I Saw The Devil with your kids too :) Btw, I Saw The Devil also stars Choi Min Sik who plays Oh Dae Su in Old Boy.

Yeah. He acted very well in TGTBTW, although Song Kang-ho was still by far my favourite in that film. Probably because his character was so great. He was also really good in The Host.

If you like Song Kang-ho and you like director Bong Joon Ho, my favorite of their collaborations is hands down Memories of Murder. That one requires some background knowledge in Korean history and politics to fully take it in though. The ending to that film still gives me chills and emotionally overwhelms me even after having watched it at least 5 times.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:47:56 by VesperSAINT »

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:51:48 »
I love Korean movies. I have a few that I really liked, but I need to look on netflix to figure out their names. One thing I noticed about the films that I've seen is REVENGE.

Seriously Korean people make the best revenge movies.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 21:13:26 »
I know Korean movies are not up to the task with Hollywood when it comes to special effects and stuff, I mean how many Hollywood movies that has an incredible special effects and scenes due to hardcore software, but I would not watch the movie again ever, cause that's all it was only good eye candy...

Ugh I watched so many of them this past weeks, and a few that I remember their title and they were great are: Tell me something, The Coffin, Cello, Coma, the Cat.... there are more just lost track of them.

I believe there were 3 Grudge movies made, now I know why only the first one was the best... the 2nd was so so, while the 3rd totally lost its touch, it didn't even feel like its a sequel at all.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 21:17:35 »
I know Korean movies are not up to the task with Hollywood when it comes to special effects and stuff, I mean how many Hollywood movies that has an incredible special effects and scenes due to hardcore software, but I would not watch the movie again ever, cause that's all it was only good eye candy...

Ugh I watched so many of them this past weeks, and a few that I remember their title and they were great are: Tell me something, The Coffin, Cello, Coma, the Cat.... there are more just lost track of them.

I believe there were 3 Grudge movies made, now I know why only the first one was the best... the 2nd was so so, while the 3rd totally lost its touch, it didn't even feel like its a sequel at all.

Tell Me Something was absolutely mind blowing for its time and still is great today! Man... I'm starting to feel old...

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 21:56:01 »

Tell Me Something was absolutely mind blowing for its time and still is great today! Man... I'm starting to feel old...

Its heart breaking the scene when they enter her room and it starts with her dad painting her, such a heavy scene.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 21:59:00 »

Its heart breaking the scene when they enter her room and it starts with her dad painting her, such a heavy scene.

Man... it's been over 10 years since I've seen this movie... Any way I can find this movie and watch it again?

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 22:32:44 »
part 1:

part 2:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 22:33:24 »
part 1:

part 2:

Thanks! Hopefully this is unedited :P

Offline Lanx

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 22:40:37 »
just skip thai movies in general, you can also skip chinese movies, they have been dog sh*t since...
hong kong went back to china in 97
chow yun fat/jet li/jackie chan exported themselves and made worse hollywood movies
they all started talking mandarin
the new gen-x movie stars are just pathetic

(and again i've watched hk cinema since jimmy carter was president)

really you'll get... 1 good chinese movie a year, which is sad, since they make like 1,000's of them a year

and of course you watch chinese movies for great martial arts action... the most recent one on my list? "the raid" and that was indonesian and 2 years ago cuz that's how much china sucks now with movies and action... not to mention they use really sh*tty cgi that make "the last air bender" watchable.

so yeah... only korean movies 70% and japanese 30% movies for me, japanese aren't as good as korean movies now, koreans just rule with drama.

oh and wtf is up with bollywood, everymovie there is a dorky 5 minute mtv dance video, ugh bollywood is bad too.

Offline raKeto

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 23:00:22 »

I saw the Devil is like one of my Favourite Thriller/Horror Movies and the only Korean Movie i know.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 23:07:02 »

I saw the Devil is like one of my Favourite Thriller/Horror Movies and the only Korean Movie i know.

You should definitely check up on this thread every now and then to get some good titles :) Some good ones have already popped up :)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 02:53:32 »

Vouch for I Saw the Devil (also included a netflix link). Scariest movie of my life. Thanks for the other suggestions! This thread has the potential of awesome if you like this kind of stuff.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 04:39:48 »

The vengeance trilogy bluray box is pretty good, it has all 3 revenge themed movies by Min-sik Choi, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance / Oldboy / Lady Vengeance,

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 04:57:42 »

The vengeance trilogy bluray box is pretty good, it has all 3 revenge themed movies by Min-sik Choi, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance / Oldboy / Lady Vengeance,

Director is Park Chan Wook who also did movies such as JSA (Joint Security Area) and Thirst. JSA is my personal favorite from him but it's a very "Korean" film as in it has more of an impact on you if you're Korean but still begs for much empathy from all viewers. I wrote a paper on this movie for my Korean politics class :P Stoker is also good, but this one is American but directed but Park.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2013, 05:01:13 by VesperSAINT »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 05:17:10 »

Director is Park Chan Wook who also did movies such as JSA (Joint Security Area) and Thirst. JSA is my personal favorite from him but it's a very "Korean" film as in it has more of an impact on you if you're Korean but still begs for much empathy from all viewers. I wrote a paper on this movie for my Korean politics class :P Stoker is also good, but this one is American but directed but Park.

The culture thing is difficult for me, as it greatly influences the decisions of the characters, and sometimes in korean/japanese films, I just don't get why they would react in certain ways.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 05:36:57 »

The culture thing is difficult for me, as it greatly influences the decisions of the characters, and sometimes in korean/japanese films, I just don't get why they would react in certain ways.

Yeah, I always give this warning to people when I give out recommendations in films because sometimes they require vast knowledge of experience in their respective cultures, history and politics. Koreans especially are very keen on nostalgia and melodrama because of the "colorful" history they've had in the past 60 or so years. Even in the worst cases however, I think it's better to watch them and get what you can out of them than not watch them at all :P If anyone watches any of these movies and have questions or are confused about anything, feel free to ask and I will try to help and explain.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2013, 05:38:48 by VesperSAINT »

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 05:54:00 »

I watched this some time ago expecting it to be one of those so bad it's funny type things. I mean, a Korean take on movies about the American west origionally filmed in Italy.

Turned out to be really genuinely good.

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 06:21:19 »
Since a few of my favourite Korean movies have already been recommended, I'll put in a recommendation for "Tae Guk Gi" (The Brotherhood of War). Might be one of the best war-related movies I've seen.

I can't really put my finger on why, but to me it seems the best movies in Asia are made in South-Korea. There are a lot of great movies from Japan, China, and most certainly other countries too, but the Korean ones always surprise me by being "that good". :>

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 07:32:59 »
Since a few of my favourite Korean movies have already been recommended, I'll put in a recommendation for "Tae Guk Gi" (The Brotherhood of War). Might be one of the best war-related movies I've seen.

I can't really put my finger on why, but to me it seems the best movies in Asia are made in South-Korea. There are a lot of great movies from Japan, China, and most certainly other countries too, but the Korean ones always surprise me by being "that good". :>

I didn't like that movie,, idk why it's so highly recommended, i was bored to death.

Offline Sai

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 07:36:04 »
i am patiently waiting for Miracle in Cell no.7  ;D

and also "Hello Ghost" is a pretty good movie. I cry everytime i watch that movie.  :p
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 08:11:41 »
i am patiently waiting for Miracle in Cell no.7  ;D

and also "Hello Ghost" is a pretty good movie. I cry everytime i watch that movie.  :p

I've only cried in 2 movies my whole life.

In Short Circuit 2, when they were killing Johnny 5,  :'(

and

In Armageddon when Bruce Willis stayed behind to blow up the Asteroid,  :'(

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 11:15:26 »
I'm planning on watching every movie in this thread. Korean culture really fascinates me - Coming from someone with a strictly American upbringing and background, the point of views presented really create interesting moments for me. I've been able to pick up a lot about Korean culture just from watching Korean movies, and I really love it.

I have a question for those of you more versed in Asian culture than I. Why is revenge such a prevalent topic? In the west, we certainly have revenge movies. However, almost all revenge movies frame the character as an anti-hero, or a hero that uses legal and moral means to get his "revenge". In Korean culture, however, it seems almost socially acceptable to resort to incredible moral depravities just to get back at someone for their actions in the past. Why is that?
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 14:11:23 »
i really like chinese movies and hong kong action movies.

john woo's hard boiled is so bad ass. so bad ass.

you should check that **** out.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 14:53:28 »
I like Korean movies, watched "I'm a cyborg, but that's no problem" today and loved it. It's amazing how much deeper these movies are then the standard hollywood trash. Also the actors are much more believable and emotional. Really like it!
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 16:05:34 »
I'm planning on watching every movie in this thread. Korean culture really fascinates me - Coming from someone with a strictly American upbringing and background, the point of views presented really create interesting moments for me. I've been able to pick up a lot about Korean culture just from watching Korean movies, and I really love it.

I have a question for those of you more versed in Asian culture than I. Why is revenge such a prevalent topic? In the west, we certainly have revenge movies. However, almost all revenge movies frame the character as an anti-hero, or a hero that uses legal and moral means to get his "revenge". In Korean culture, however, it seems almost socially acceptable to resort to incredible moral depravities just to get back at someone for their actions in the past. Why is that?

I definitely would not say that it's socially acceptable to do such terrible things in revenge... Lol... It's not that it's acceptable but more about being grounded in realism. Koreans love realism in their films, but like I said before it has to do with Korean modern history for the past 60-70 years. I think there's an academic paper based on it but I can't find it right now.