Author Topic: Sci-fi flicks you might have missed  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Sci-fi flicks you might have missed
« on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 05:28:26 »
I'm maintaining this list of not-so-famous sci-fi/horror/mystery/paranormal/fantasy films that are worth watching.

https://github.com/cubiq/scifi-underdogs

It's just for lesser known film (not blockbusters). Hope you like it and maybe you can help me with it. If you know how it works you can simply push updates to the github repo, otherwise post your suggestions here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 07:58:12 by Matt3o »

Offline Feign

Re: Sci-fi flicks you might have missed
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:00:10 »
Moon (2009) would make a good addition to that list.

Also, The Man from Earth (2007).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:16:52 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:19:53 »
Moon despite being "indie" is quite well known I discovered. The Quiet Earth and The Man from Earth seem good candidates.

Offline pasph

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 06:40:29 »
Solaris
Fahrenheit 451
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 07:16:15 »
The Quiet Earth

The Quiet Earth is great, I agree!

Are we allowed to include B-movies? If so, I nominate: Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn for your consideration.

Non B-movie (in my opinion) horror film worthy of inclusion: From Beyond -- made by the same people who made Reanimator, but with a better story. From Beyond has only been re-released for maybe 2 years or so, so it may have been overlooked.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 07:17:48 »
Also, The Man from Earth (2007).

Was about to suggest it in the DT thread, didn't know if it qualified. It is a great movie.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 07:22:12 »
Non B-movie (in my opinion) horror film worthy of inclusion: From Beyond -- made by the same people who made Reanimator, but with a better story. From Beyond has only been re-released for maybe 2 years or so, so it may have been overlooked.

This almost sounds like a pr0n movie :) I'll look into it thanks!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 07:55:40 »
Some more that I've seen, that I think are overlooked. Most of these I've also reviewed at my own website, so feel free to visit. :)

The Whisperer in Darkness -- one of the better H.P. Lovecraft-inspired films. It does qualify as a sci-fi mystery. Black and white.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/whisperer-darkness

Night of the Creeps -- brain-eating slugs from space turn fraternity boys into mindless zombies. A must-see. It features the most awesome suicidal police detective in all of horror movie history.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/night-creeps

Lord of Illusions -- written by Clive Barker; features a truly creepy cult and cult leader, and that guy from Quantum Leap!
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/lord-illusions

Rawhead Rex -- also written by Clive Barker, but a phenomenally bad movie. So bad that Barker actually disowned it. Features some really unintentionally funny scenes, but very, very difficult to find. Sells on eBay for ridiculous amounts not worth paying.

Bad Moon -- Are you a dog person who also loves horror movies? Bad Moon is interesting because it pits a werewolf against a German Shepherd. Only the dog knows that there's a werewolf threatening his family. One of the more artfully done werewolf films I've seen. Overlooked, in my opinion.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/bad-moon

Dark Night of the Scarecrow -- awesome, awesome made-for-TV-movie that is super, super creepy. Not very gory at all, this one is all atmosphere, but it's worth watching.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/dark-night-scarecrow

Bermuda Depths -- Another made-for-TV-movie, it's a spookfest featuring a mysterious girl with a strange paranormal attachment to a monstrously-sized demon turtle. A boy who loved her a long time ago returns to his seaside ancestral home, and she reappears -- and so does the mega-turtle. No, it's not Gamera. This one is out of print, and very hard to find, or so I hear.

Dead and Buried -- Wow, this one features some of the most horrifying (and not necessarily gory) murder/attack sequences I have ever seen. It starts as a standard "dangerous redneck" film set in New England, and then the 'mystery' unrolls pretty quickly. Not the greatest, but it features some super, super scary scenes.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/dead-and-buried

Ravenous -- an unusual vampire tale featuring Guy Pierce. Didn't do great at the box office, but I think it's overlooked. For a horror movies it's got a wicked sense of humor.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/ravenous

Dead Ringers -- This film is really hard to categorize. As is usually the case, Cronenberg delivers body horror in this tale about identical twins played by Jeremy Irons. I should just say Jeremy Irons a few times and that should be enough to make you give this one a try. He's just awesome. What makes it stand out to me is that the horror is also very, very dramatic and romantic. A really weird combination of elements, but it works.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/dead-ringers

The Manitou -- a b-movie for sure, but so hysterically funny (especially the ending) that it must be seen to be believed. Featuring a disco bogus fortune-teller, and a hilarious white guy made up to be a Native American.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/manitou

Dagon -- not bad for a HPL-inspired flick. A skinny dot com nerd runs away from monsters in a creepy coastal town that time forgot.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/dagon

Perfume -- love this movie. A twisted tale of a serial killer trying to create the ultimate fragrance from the decanted souls of virginal women! Very creepy and well-done, but sadly overlooked.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/perfume-story-murderer

They Live -- Director John Carpenter tells the real history of humanity -- we're being fed subliminal lies by aliens! We are the 1%! Featuring the best back alley fight over a pair of sunglasses ever filmed. Featuring Rowdy Roddy Piper saying, shotgun over his shoulder, "I have come here to kick @ss and chew bubble gum. .... and I'm all outta gum."
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/they-live

Deadly Friend -- A nerd puts his testicle-crushing robot's brain into the skull of his brain-dead girlfriend, because that's movie science folks.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/deadly-friend

Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter -- Jesus returns to kick vampire tuckus, and updates his look. Featuring the hit single, "Everybody Gets Laid Tonight", and Santos, luchadore of legend. Worth watching just to see Jesus turn into a yuppy with a tiny, tiny phone.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/jesus-christ-vampire-hunter <---- link to theme song may still work!

Blue Sunshine -- Nancy Reagan was right! People who dropped a particular kind of acid named 'Blue Sunshine' decade previous suddenly lose all their hair and become homocidal maniacs. An overlooked gem, in my opinion.
http://buriedplanet.com/drupal/content/blue-sunshine

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 08:08:13 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 07:57:10 »
The Quiet Earth

One of my all-time favorites.

Another that's post-apocalyptic in a very funny way is Delicatessen

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 08:12:46 »
Since we're veering into horror/cult classics territory, a few more under-appreciated films (IMHO, of course);

Dog Soldiers (Sean Pertwee is a totally great and under-rated actor)
Lair of the White Worm (one of Hugh Grant's first starring roles)
Ginger Snaps
Bunraku (kind of like **** Tracy meets West Side Story, set in a post-apocalyptic Japan.  With Woody Harrelson (Zombieland!), Ron Perlman, Demi Moore, and Josh Hartnett, among others.)
Stakeland

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 08:56:23 »
We should separate the lists   1985 and Pre 1985

I've found that anything before 1985  scifi was hard to get into...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:02:16 »

in general or just for this list? because Alien and Star wars are pre 85 your know that :)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:06:54 »

in general or just for this list? because Alien and Star wars are pre 85 your know that :)

Add a date field... BOOM. Some of the best stuff is from pre-1985, though. Kids today...  ;)
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:10:30 »

This almost sounds like a pr0n movie :) I'll look into it thanks!

The female lead gets into bondage gear, but that's as far as it goes. This was the 80's, so there had to be some T&A -- it was like a kind of unspoken rule. And the nudity actually does make sense to the story in a plausible way -- really! This is a movie where the idea is awesome. Maybe not perfectly executed, but a great idea just the same.
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:11:09 »
Actually I'd say anything post 1999 is mostly crap in sci-fi :)

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:18:43 »

The Terminator also came out in 1984.  Best of the series, as far as I'm concerned.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:29:28 »

The Terminator also came out in 1984.  Best of the series, as far as I'm concerned.

that doesn't change the fact that for "NON-fans" or "Late-Fans"  those movies have a very different "PACING" which is hard to get into.

There used to be much more build up in the older movies...

We didn't see the Alien for nearly the whole first 30 minutes...

Modern scifi is about CGI, and basic intuitive stories.

Because a deeper story is impossible given the short time limit anyway...

And it's not like scifi fans haven't heard it all before... so why bother....

This I believe delineates MOST of the Modern Fast-Pace scifi fan-ship.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:41:37 »
I can make a system where people decide what goes in the list... but it would be a lot of work and I don't know if there's really interest in that kind of thing

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 09:58:13 »
Because a deeper story is impossible given the short time limit anyway...

Right, because LoTR is short.   As well as the 3 most recent Star Wars,  last 2 Star Trek, and on and on...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:05:13 »
Actually I'd say anything post 1999 is mostly crap in sci-fi :)

... even, Sharknado? Matt, you make me sad.  :'(

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:07:07 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:07:39 »
yes and sharktopus

Offline Malphas

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:18:20 »
How about... Screamers? Or Event Horizon?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:19:33 »
How about... Screamers? Or Event Horizon?

I liked Event Horizon. Did not do much box office, though.
More

Offline Malphas

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:23:09 »
It's on my "flawed but still work watching" list of movies.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:47:14 »
The Hidden (1987) is a fun romp.

Triangle (2009) is not strictly SF, but it's a real mind-bender and worth watching just for Melissa George!

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:55:55 »

Triangle (2009) is not strictly SF, but it's a real mind-bender and worth watching just for Melissa George!

Oh, I'd completely forgotten The Hidden!  Great little flick, the first movie I'd seen with Kyle MacLachlan (before he was in Twin Peaks).  And Claudia Christian - hotness personified!  I see by her biblio that she did the voices for a few characters on Skyrim, I'll have to check that out next time.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 11:01:11 »

Yes!!! That one is awesome. Kyle McLachlan (sp?) is great. Oh, and also the chick from ... that one sci-fi TV show I cannot recall at the moment.
More

Offline Obakemono

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:49:24 »
Reboot, is recent short film about hacktivism/social networks and so

http://www.rebootfilm.com/trailer