Author Topic: PayPal dispute  (Read 4875 times)

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
PayPal dispute
« on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 06:45:38 »
Hello geekhack, I am in a PayPal dispute and a bit of a pickle.

I sold a gon nerd tkl and there is an issue with the keyboard. The issue for me is that I do not understand the issue the buyer is having.

The bottom row is apparently being overlapped by the above row. Having used this keyboard with a WASD keyset and having no issues I do not understand how it can not be working.

I believe the buyer is using DSA if there would be any differences. It is my understanding that keycaps size differences are very minimal. As they are all for cherry switches the sizes should be semi universal.

Initially I thought this might be an issue with the spacebar placement as there are options with spacebar switch placement. But the descriptions I have been getting are a little vague.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: PayPal dispute
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 06:57:43 »
The only reason keycaps should affect anything like what you are describing is if they were forcefully removed and damaged something.

On second thought I'm not sure I understand exactly what the issue is.

Do you mean the keycaps are hitting one another? That shouldn't be possible.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 07:32:36 »
Do you mean the bottom row is acting as the top row? as I'm a little confused there is no way at all the WASD would stop the bottom row from being pressed, I would ask them to take picture of what they mean because thats confusing
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 08:23:17 »
Do you mean the bottom row is acting as the top row? as I'm a little confused there is no way at all the WASD would stop the bottom row from being pressed, I would ask them to take picture of what they mean because thats confusing
No as I understand it 2nd to last row is catching the bottom row as they are pressed. Hardware not software side I think. And by WASD I meant the companies keyset not the switches for WASD. I think I will ask for pictures. I have received this as the slightly more detailed description and I really don't frasp what is going on.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:08:50 »
Do they somehow have the keycaps installed incorrectly?

I'm still not sure how this would even be possible.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:26:00 »
Warped Tai Hao keycaps maybe? Does the board have in switch LEDs that the caps could be catching on? When this happens you feel a catch and it could be mistaken as caps hitting each other.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:28:37 »
No as I understand it 2nd to last row is catching the bottom row as they are pressed. Hardware not software side I think. And by WASD I meant the companies keyset not the switches for WASD. I think I will ask for pictures. I have received this as the slightly more detailed description and I really don't frasp what is going on.
Odd personally I think it sounds like they are taking you for a ride but thats just me, otherwise the only time I have had keys catch are thick pbt ones, but that was on a QFR esc key in the little box :X as with what joey said as well if its those rectangular led's they might hit the top of the key on thicker keys caps too
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:32:18 »
Yeah, it sounds like someone is having buyer's remorse, and just wants a way to get their money back.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:36:05 »
Yea.. this is complete bull****..

Even with severe warping,  the cap edges won't catch, because they're designed specifically not to.. each cap has at an entire mm of wiggle room.. 

Make them post a video of the issue, or gtfo..

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:38:42 »
Make them post a video of the issue, or gtfo..

The problem is that PayPal is now involved, and they are asking Seller to prove that the item they sold Buyer is not defective.

Seller's response to PayPal should be that:
1. It's a computer keyboard. It works just like every other computer keyboard. There was no defect when you owned it.
2. Seller shipped and Buyer received. End of story.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 10:45:36 »
The only time I've ever heard about a key catching another as it's been pressed is usually due to some bulky artisan caps. Definitely sounds like buyer's remorse to me. Sorry you have to go through this.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:45:55 »
Remove keycap, see if switch registers.

Yes = user problem.

No = keyboard problem.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 00:50:58 »

Yes = user problem.

No = keyboard problem.

This is a really good suggestion

I'm assuming it was shipped without keycaps so as long as the switches work that's all you should have to cover

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 01:06:39 »

Yes = user problem.

No = keyboard problem.
I like this

So it seems asking for pictures was the straw that broke the camels back. My first PayPal dispute is now a claim

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 01:11:44 »
Not in my favour. No pictures but it is being returned and I have to refund. I don't have to pay shipping though.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 01:48:30 »
bro that sucks but liked that you keep your cool and stayed professional.  :thumb:
ya that is a strange issue. My gon suffers from some rubbing from the key caps the stem housing and the super light springs arnt helping either.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 01:53:25 »
is it against paypal tos to identify this person publicly (even just by username) so other people can be sure not to deal with them?
... that's one of the perks of a community...
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 01:57:04 »
is it against paypal tos to identify this person publicly (even just by username) so other people can be sure not to deal with them?
if its not i wish it was...

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 10:13:41 »
if its not i wish it was...

How could Paypal police it or even find out about it? I highly doubt it would go against their ToS since there is nothing they could do about it if the person was publicly identified.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 11:12:10 »
bro that sucks but liked that you keep your cool and stayed professional.  :thumb:
ya that is a strange issue. My gon suffers from some rubbing from the key caps the stem housing and the super light springs arnt helping either.
Thanks, I still remain uncertain of the issue of whether there is an issue. I wasn't given any visuals or additional information through the claim. I am interested to see what condition it comes back in.

I wasn't quite sure if this was an ok thing to do. But really only would make sense to associate this account with a name.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 11:41:10 »
Thanks, I still remain uncertain of the issue of whether there is an issue. I wasn't given any visuals or additional information through the claim. I am interested to see what condition it comes back in.

I wasn't quite sure if this was an ok thing to do. But really only would make sense to associate this account with a name.

I would wait until you receive the unit back and fully inspect it to confirm there are no issues.  Assuming it works perfectly and wasn't abused, I would be pretty confident it was buyers remorse and would definitely add the buyers username to the op to help others in the future. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 12:13:36 »
Unfortunate they ruled against you without the buyer even providing proof of any kind, really do hope it comes back perfect condition make sure you record yourself opening the box when it arrives incase its damaged or anything.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 12:37:35 »
Unfortunate they ruled against you without the buyer even providing proof of any kind, really do hope it comes back perfect condition make sure you record yourself opening the box when it arrives incase its damaged or anything.
A friend of mine had a PP dispute where it was a similar thing, the buyer found some 'problem' with it after arrived, even though no problem existed. The buyer was not forced to provide any proof that things were not what he expected, and my friend had to issue a refund. When he got the item back it, the buyer had damaged it - he cut a peice of it off, there was no way this happened in transit, and was not the issue he claimed was the problem.

My friend called PP back to complain and basically their response was, sorry, your problem now. So even if it was damaged now, the outcome probably won't change. PP/eBay is a buyers dream.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:17:31 »
If anyone needs help dealing with disputes I have plenty of experience with them.

It sounds like they just wanted to try it and didn't want to keep it in the end. That or they damaged it.

Either way they would refuse to supply pictures because in the first case it would show there's no problem and in the second case it would show they damaged it.

Have you called paypal?

Preferably as soon as they turn it into a claim.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:24:06 »
I've experienced something similar with my SPRIT 60%. It had to do with the clearance of the acrylic plate. I had soldered in a switch (I think it was for the enter key) that leaned backwards a bit too much so what happened was that with GMK keyset on there, every time I pressed Enter it would also press/rub against the ]} / \| keys. Was really annoying. Ended up desoldering and resoldering that switch with a third helping hand. Meh. If you didn't notice it before it's really strange that the issue would crop up now. I'm not sure but maybe DSA keycaps are slightly wider than whatever keycaps you were using so you didn't notice it?

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:33:32 »
If anyone needs help dealing with disputes I have plenty of experience with them.

It sounds like they just wanted to try it and didn't want to keep it in the end. That or they damaged it.

Either way they would refuse to supply pictures because in the first case it would show there's no problem and in the second case it would show they damaged it.

Have you called paypal?

It's too late really. I think I can only appeal if I get it back at this point. It was a dispute turned claim which is now 'resolved'.

I've experienced something similar with my SPRIT 60%. It had to do with the clearance of the acrylic plate. I had soldered in a switch (I think it was for the enter key) that leaned backwards a bit too much so what happened was that with GMK keyset on there, every time I pressed Enter it would also press/rub against the ]} / \| keys. Was really annoying. Ended up desoldering and resoldering that switch with a third helping hand. Meh. If you didn't notice it before it's really strange that the issue would crop up now. I'm not sure but maybe DSA keycaps are slightly wider than whatever keycaps you were using so you didn't notice it?
It's possible but size differences are minimal so this seems quite improbable. But I really don't know until I get it back. Descriptions were vague and all the same, providing the same non-information arranged differently.  And pictures speak 1000 words so we'll see.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:53:42 »

Have you called paypal?

It's too late really. I think I can only appeal if I get it back at this point. It was a dispute turned claim which is now 'resolved'.

It's possible but size differences are minimal so this seems quite improbable. But I really don't know until I get it back. Descriptions were vague and all the same, providing the same non-information arranged differently.  And pictures speak 1000 words so we'll see.

Should have instantly called paypal as soon as the claim was started and explained that you attempted to resolve the situation but the buyer was unwilling and that you feel like it's a potential scam.

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:58:47 »

Have you called paypal?

Should have instantly called paypal as soon as the claim was started and explained that you attempted to resolve the situation but the buyer was unwilling and that you feel like it's a potential scam.
Where were you when I needed you the most?

I suppose this will just be a learning experience paid for by my time.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:09:12 »

Have you called paypal?

I'm always around. I've been on forums that did a lot of dealings of "other" goods and there must be 50 scam reports popping up per day. Reading through some of those you get to learn common scams and how to avoid them.

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:22:55 »

Have you called paypal?

I'm always around. I've been on forums that did a lot of dealings of "other" goods and there must be 50 scam reports popping up per day. Reading through some of those you get to learn common scams and how to avoid them.
I did have quite a lackadaisical response to this whole affair. It is frustrating as it is a complete waste of time. It doesn't seem like I will be losing any money (depending on the condition I get it back in) but I am just back to selling it.

I will take your advice and hopefully avoid such situations in the future.

EDIT: Thanks everybody I appreciate all the help.

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:24:35 by RoastPotatoes »

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 14:28:50 »

Have you called paypal?

I did have quite a lackadaisical response to this whole affair. It is frustrating as it is a complete waste of time. It doesn't seem like I will be losing any money (depending on the condition I get it back in) but I am just back to selling it.

I will take your advice and hopefully avoid such situations in the future.

EDIT: Thanks everybody I appreciate all the help.

Proactive vs reactive is one of the best pieces of advice I could give when dealing with paypal.

It's very quick to go from sale to dispute to claim.

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 03:19:41 »
The gon is on hand (gonhand) and I don't think there is anything wrong with it. At first I was worried it was poorly packaged but it seems to have been fit into the perfect box.
I recorded an unboxing but it was quite uneventful. I put a spacebar on and some bottom row caps and nothing. My bank account is now dangerously low.

It did not come back with the cable :(

I will post unboxing and typing video later. It's back on the market if anyone is interested :)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 07:21:51 »
The gon is on hand (gonhand) and I don't think there is anything wrong with it. At first I was worried it was poorly packaged but it seems to have been fit into the perfect box.
I recorded an unboxing but it was quite uneventful. I put a spacebar on and some bottom row caps and nothing. My bank account is now dangerously low.

I will post unboxing and typing video later. It's back on the market if anyone is interested :)
Glad you got it back and in good condition, was the cable a fancy one or just a standard usb? :X Kinda shifty of them not to send it back though I would try chase them up for it, just out of principle :x
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 07:30:06 »
sounds to me like they are just trying to get out of paying. Tell them if they want their money back then to send you the keyboard in 100% working order as it was when you sent it

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 07:34:00 »
sounds to me like they are just trying to get out of paying. Tell them if they want their money back then to send you the keyboard in 100% working order as it was when you sent it
Its already been sent back buddie paypal voted in favor of the buyer and made them send it back, Tates has gotten the board back in it seems good condition but they stole the cable/|Didn't send it back. :X
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 08:17:19 »

Glad you got it back and in good condition, was the cable a fancy one or just a standard usb? :X Kinda shifty of them not to send it back though I would try chase them up for it, just out of principle :x
It seems to be in great condition. No complaints in that department.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 08:22:25 »

It seems to be in great condition. No complaints in that department.

Glad you got it back, time to expose them. ;)

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 08:39:07 »
The system is broken if someone can send someone a perfectly working keyboard and they use the dispute system for buyer's remorse but when someone never actually ends up sending you anything paypal could care less -_-
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 11:58:16 »
The system is broken if someone can send someone a perfectly working keyboard and they use the dispute system for buyer's remorse but when someone never actually ends up sending you anything paypal could care less -_-
*couldn't care less

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 13:14:58 »

Unboxing is not particularly exciting

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 08:38:03 »
Got an email saying the claim is being reviewed and they are asking for additional information from the buyer ???

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 09:15:31 »
Got an email saying the claim is being reviewed and they are asking for additional information from the buyer ???
What, odd maybe they want info hopefully the buyer gets a good hiding from PayPal then if they let you I would give them a link to the video and also say you didn't get the cable sent back, and after checking it the keyboard is fine :X. Hopefully you don't have anything else happen
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 05:03:04 »
What, odd maybe they want info hopefully the buyer gets a good hiding from PayPal then if they let you I would give them a link to the video and also say you didn't get the cable sent back, and after checking it the keyboard is fine :X. Hopefully you don't have anything else happen
It's been resolved now still in their favour.

Is there any point appealing the case? The only outcome I really want now is just some red mark against their account so there is recognition of abusing the system.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 05:06:39 »
It's been resolved now still in their favour.

Is there any point appealing the case? The only outcome I really want now is just some red mark against their account so there is recognition of abusing the system.
I don't know its up to you really I personally would as I would be very annoyed and plus if they did this once they will do it again, but I would show paypal the video of it working perfectly and if you paid to ship it to them, try chase to get that shipping cost back at the very least.
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
More