Author Topic: Cherry MX blues question!  (Read 939 times)

Offline mrelectric

Cherry MX blues question!
« on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 13:05:58 »
Hey guys, this is my first time posting here :P but I have a question about the cherry mx blues.
I currently have quite a stiff rubber dome keyboard, and was wondering how would the feeling of the MX blues compare to the feeling of typing on the rubber domes. Is it a lot easier to press the keys? I am looking to purchase the filco majestouch-2 (blues because I want the audio and tactile feedback) because this rubber dome keyboard is now making my fingers hurt after a prolonged typing session.

Thanks!

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 13:13:18 »
Welcome to GH! Yes, it is alot easier to press the keys on the cherry MX blues because they only require 50g to actuate. If your rubber domes are really stiff, then they would probably require 70+g to actuate.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 13:18:56 »
Quote from: thegunner100;582926
Welcome to GH! Yes, it is alot easier to press the keys on the cherry MX blues because they only require 50g to actuate. If your rubber domes are really stiff, then they would probably require 70+g to actuate.

Ah, thank you, looking forward to getting a Filco now, but do you know where I could a model like this (standard UK): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcLtoccyNpI

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 13:43:39 »
Quote from: thegunner100;582926

I have been told here on GH, that ultimately the main contributor to typing stress is the fact that rubber dome keyboards require bottoming out.

So over the course of a long typing session, your rubber dome system will be training your movements to overextend force in order to "successfully activate" the switch.

The difference between this and mechanical cherry switches is that, pressing Harder on the keys will NOT increase your odds of successful activation, because the key is triggered Before bottoming out.

So, this is then a psychological phenomenon where on the Mechanical switch, you will be trained to utilize the minimum effort / force necessary to activate the switch.