Author Topic: Looking for info about what hand/finger positions are more ergonomic  (Read 3194 times)

Offline SnyperBunny

I'm really struggling with sore fingers when using the left-hand hotkey cluster (ctrl+ C, V, Z, X, etc), and WASD movement. I'm quite sure this is due to my long fingers and small and crampy keyboards.

I'm toying with the idea of making a gaming-pad-thing with better key positions and angles but I really don't know anything about ergonomics.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some sort of journal article or other good source for what finger and wrist angles and positions are better/worse for ergonomics and what positions of the fingers allow for better "button clicking" strength?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Looking for info about what hand/finger positions are more ergonomic
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 13:18:40 »
any problem with wrist ? or just fingers.

also, which segment of the finger is in pain.

Offline SnyperBunny

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 13:36:13 »
Just the middle three fingers (the ones between the thumb and pinky) and just my left hand.

Its stiff and gets a bit achy after about 2 games of Overwatch or a few hours of intermittent hot-key use (hoping to switch to a mouse with MMO buttons to remap the hotkeys). Its mainly around the middle knuckles but I can feel it a bit in the knuckle closest to the finger tips as well.

I've been experimenting a bit at work today with a small wrist-rest for my left hand and it seems to help a bit but I don't think it would be any permanent fix for gaming unless I change my control device to something better as well.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 14:27:37 »
Remapping. You can also rotate (up to 90 degrees) the keyboard to get a pseudo-columnar layout.

Offline SnyperBunny

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 14:57:01 »
I've tried several remapping options but they dont really seem to help all that much.
Do you have any suggestions on what to map where?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 15:31:25 »
I assume the problem with copypasta and similar chords are contorted fingers, when pressing Ctrl with left pinkie and ZXCV with ring/middle/index finger.
(a) Use sticky keys. Then you can press Ctrl and then the other key from the combo, without contorting fingers to strike a chord.
(b) Use the right Ctrl key with the other hand (on the other side of the keyboard).
(c) Those chords originated on MacOS as Cmd-[ZXCV]. Cmd is pressed with a thumb on mac keyboards. If you have a keyboard with more or wider modifiers, you can remap the innermost (closer to the spacebar) to Ctrl.
(c} If you haven't remapped Caps Lock to anything more useful, make it a special Fn-like modifier, that activates a custom layer. You can put macros or even utilize dedicated "multimedia" codes (that include copy/paste/undo/…) there.
(d) Similarly, you can remap keys, that you don't use otherwise, e.g., numpad, function keys etc.
(e) Use alternative approaches to desired functions. This may involve using the pointing device or other software with an entirely different user interface (e.g., Vim instead of Notepad clones, VimFx/Vimperator in web browser, some keyboard-oriented file manager with vi-like or original CUA controls).

In case of gaming on WASD or something similar, switch to an entirely different control scheme. It might appear counterintuitive at first sight, but take a look at controls used by old-school Quake players. Or, as I've mentioned, you can rotate the keyboard so that your thumb rests on Ctrl/Shift and fingers are aligned on 2EDX or something—that way, you're not stuck on straight rows.

Offline nemui

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 12:48:27 »
Just the middle three fingers (the ones between the thumb and pinky) and just my left hand.

Its stiff and gets a bit achy after about 2 games of Overwatch or a few hours of intermittent hot-key use (hoping to switch to a mouse with MMO ons to remap the hotkeys). Its mainly around the middle knuckles but I can feel it a bit in the knuckle closest to the finger tips as well.

I've been experimenting a bit at work today with a small wrist-rest for my left hand and it seems to help a bit but I don't think it would be any permanent fix for gaming unless I change my control device to something better as well.

Do you have a heavy touch when you type/game? If so, maybe it's the bottoming out that's causing the slight aches. Have you tried a heavier switch?

Offline vvp

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 15:23:15 »
If you think your pain is related to chords then get a keyboard with thumb clusters and remap all modifiers to thumbs. Use only those thumb cluster buttons which you can reach easily. No  complicated finger gymnastics. Press the modifier with a different hand than the key.  I think it is better not to use a wrist rest while typing. Just maintain a good hand position. If you want to use a wrist rest then you should touch it with your palm not your wrist.
This is what I do and I do not have any problems after 26 years of keyboard use for almost every working day. Maybe I'm just lucky (not predisposed to have hand/finger problems) or maybe it can help you too.
Good luck.