Author Topic: Wristrests for split/ergo keyboards - where?  (Read 4416 times)

Offline rtpguy

Wristrests for split/ergo keyboards - where?
« on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 12:14:28 »
Just got into the whole split KB thing after noticing I'm starting to see some RSI-like symptoms working some long days/nights/weekends.
I had been using a full-sized Unicomp (IBM buckling spring) for years, which was/is awesome, along with a Logitech M570 Trackman wheel previously.

Picked up a Matias Ergo Pro, which is a wonderful design but not reliable enough for me to continue using, let alone buy a second one (doubling after a month of use), so currently using a pair of Mistel Barocco KBs while waiting to see if/when the UHK comes out, or better yet, something like the Ergo Pro in a > 60% layout (just split ESC and arrow keys out and I'm golden).

One of the very nice things on the Ergo Pro was the wrist-rest; in combination with my desk, chair, ... it was 'just right.'  As the Ergo Pro will be disappearing from my desk shortly (once my second MB w/Blues shows up), I'm going to miss both the tenting and the lack of wrist-rest.  This isn't a big deal at home, where I use a keyboard tray and proper chair and arm positioning, but at work I'm a bit more limited so even with the ($$ ergo human) chair fully raised and arms positioned correctly, the wrist rests were nice in use.

Does anyone make a rest suitable for split keyboards currently, and if so - who, where, experiences w/same?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2016, 23:17:49 by rtpguy »

Offline RyanArr

Re: Wristrests for split/ergo keyboards - where?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 10:05:01 »
Funny, after reading the title but before reading the post I was going to suggest buying the Matias Ergo Pro rests and sliding them under your keyboard of whatever brand. I suppose that'd still work. My other $0.02 I'll add is that I've had an Ergo Pro as my daily driver for over a year and it's been 100% reliable. Sadly, I can't say the same about the Matias Laptop Pro I'm typing this on. Where I'm going is that Matias has hit and miss quality control, but great products; your best bet is getting a warranty replacement on your Ergo Pro and keeping the tenting and rests (which I agree are great).

Offline rtpguy

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 23:25:54 »
Funny, after reading the title but before reading the post I was going to suggest buying the Matias Ergo Pro rests and sliding them under your keyboard of whatever brand. I suppose that'd still work. My other $0.02 I'll add is that I've had an Ergo Pro as my daily driver for over a year and it's been 100% reliable. Sadly, I can't say the same about the Matias Laptop Pro I'm typing this on. Where I'm going is that Matias has hit and miss quality control, but great products; your best bet is getting a warranty replacement on your Ergo Pro and keeping the tenting and rests (which I agree are great).

Yeah, this one's frustrating, but if you look in the Matias area here as well as on various user reviews, the doubling and longevity issues seem to go even beyond the Ergo Pro.  It's been a while so I no longer remember exactly how my prior Tactile Pro died, may have been doubling or a dead key(s) - just too long ago to recall. 

Basically, I've seen enough stating the same issues I've had to make it not-so-worthwhile to get a warranty replacement to then have it pop up again.  Others on GH have already reported warranty service only to get a replaced KB half or whole to then have it exhibit doubling right out of the box or shortly thereafter.

While not a fan of the Matias switches like some (coming from a decade+ on buckling springs, like MX Greens, can tolerate MX Blues, MX Browns are 'an appropriate color for how I feel about them.. ;) ), and not thrilled with the lack of programmability, the overall Ergo Pro *design* is really hard to beat short of those wanting a matrix layout.  I just don't feel like $200 + numerous reliability reports matching my own experience is a gamble I want to take longer term. 

Still debating on what to do with it.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 02:42:02 »
Ergodox = Grifiti fat foam pads, Ergodox-EZ rubber wrist rests, Ergodox Infinity mittens case, Ergodox mittens case, ???, And more! (iirc)

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 19:27:37 »
This might not be strictly relevant, but Kinesis Advantage is a kinda sorta split keyboard, and the casing basically is an extended contoured wrist rest.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 13:13:12 »
Whatever the split board, if it isn't mech I feel like I'm typing like this-

If you can understand that. the only reason I say that is I had this KB back in the 90s-

but traded it for a model m space saver when the sb gif kicked in.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 November 2016, 13:16:13 by yoshilikesmxbrowns »
hi.