Author Topic: Bow tie VS Necktie. What are your thoughts?  (Read 5841 times)

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Bow tie VS Necktie. What are your thoughts?
« on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 16:45:04 »
Today, Bow-ties are really only worn at black or white tie events, very formal happenings.
The necktie has pretty much completely replaced the bow tie, and anyone wearing them outside of these two aforementioned occasions is often seen as weird by the general public.

What do you think? Do Bow ties still have their place even in casual situations like at work or a restaurant? Would, or DO you wear them? Which do you prefer and why? What do you think of people wearing Bow ties?

If you do wear Neck or Bow ties more often then tell me which ones you prefer, which style of bow tie, which fabric, colour, pattern and how you tie them. Same for Neckties of cause. Just curious...

My take:
I myself prefer Neckties, and only wear Bow ties very rarely. I just prefer the look of a Necktie; I don’t believe Bow ties suit me particularly. When it comes to fabrics, I prefer a finer weave silk for more formal occasions, and rougher, loser weave for more casual settings. Knit ties and Kashmir ties I particularly like in combination with tweed wool jackets. In any case I prefer matte over shiny or satin fabrics and smaller, discrete patterns over loud ones (such as big stripes). Such ties are much easier to pair with other garments and are quite timeless. I rarely go with solid colours without any patterns, as I find them boring. A pair of chinos or dark jeans, a tweed sports coat, shirt and tie and I’m ready to go.

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 October 2019, 18:24:16 by Olumin »

Offline Findecanor

Re: Bow tie VS Necktie. What are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 19:02:58 »
I consider both to be strangulation devices that I prefer not to wear at all.

The mandarin collar is present in formal menswear from North Africa to East Asia. Traditional Korean and Japanese formal wear have V-necks. Too bad that we don't have any such tradition here in Europe.
🍉

Offline Olumin

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 19:15:19 »
I consider both to be strangulation devices that I prefer not to wear at all.

The mandarin collar is present in formal menswear from North Africa to East Asia. Traditional Korean and Japanese formal wear have V-necks. Too bad that we don't have any such tradition here in Europe.

While I enjoy the look of mandarin collars on shirts, I find them quite ugly on jackets (suits). I suppose its preference and familiarity. I enjoy western fashion, but I am German. Someone from China would be more used to the other. How a tie would strangulate you however is beyond me. I always wear a Tie bar in form of a clip for that purpose, which keeps the tie in place. With a bow tie, there would be even less to worry about. However, even in Afrika and Asia, european style suits and shirts with turn-down collars worn with ties are very much the norm these days, due to european colonial influence. For better or for worse.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 20:28:34 »
Today, Bow-ties are really only worn at black or white tie events, very formal happenings.
The necktie has pretty much completely replaced the bow tie, and anyone wearing them outside of these two aforementioned occasions is often seen as weird by the general public.

What do you think? Do Bow ties still have their place even in casual situations like at work or a restaurant? Would, or DO you wear them? Which do you prefer and why? What do you think of people wearing Bow ties?

If you do wear Neck or Bow ties more often then tell me which ones you prefer, which style of bow tie, which fabric, colour, pattern and how you tie them. Same for Neckties of cause. Just curious...

My take:
I myself prefer Neckties, and only wear Bow ties very rarely. I just prefer the look of a Necktie; I don’t believe Bow ties suit me particularly. When it comes to fabrics, I prefer a finer weave silk for more formal occasions, and rougher, loser weave for more casual settings. Knit ties and Kashmir ties I particularly like in combination with tweed wool jackets. In any case I prefer matte over shiny or satin fabrics and smaller, discrete patterns over loud ones (such as big stripes). Such ties are much easier to pair with other garments and are quite timeless. I rarely go with solid colours without any patterns, as I find them boring. A pair of chinos or dark jeans, a tweed sports coat, shirt and tie and I’m ready to go.

Bow Ties in my opinion look really great, might use one for my costume.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 20:41:24 »
Only *******s and lesbians wear bowties

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 20:47:06 »

People in tux's also wear bowties.. i just think they look nice.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 October 2019, 21:01:13 »
Bow ties have distinct advantages. It has been 25 years since I have worn ties regularly at work, but a bow tie never gets in the way.

Clip-on bow ties are infantile, anybody past puberty wearing one is mentally defective.

Since the knot is far more precise and demanding, the fabric needs to be thinner and more pliable than a long tie.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Olumin

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 04:29:14 »
Bow ties have distinct advantages. It has been 25 years since I have worn ties regularly at work, but a bow tie never gets in the way.

Clip-on bow ties are infantile, anybody past puberty wearing one is mentally defective.

Since the knot is far more precise and demanding, the fabric needs to be thinner and more pliable than a long tie.

It is a shame that fixed length bow ties made of one piece of fabric have become almost extinct. These days the adjustable ones with hooks or stretch-bands to fit multiple sizes are pretty much the only ones one can find, even from premium manufacturers. I mean, they have been the norm for many decades now, but they look much less refined then the fixed length ones when worn with a wing collar where one can see the adjustment mechanism. Exceptions are a rarity these days and exorbitantly expensive. I own two vintage single-end fixed length bow ties in black silk and white cotton form the 40s, which still look like new. Single end bow ties are actually quite easy to tie and look cleaner once tied. Good for formal happenings, which is what I got them for.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 04:31:04 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 06:31:10 »
How a tie would strangulate you however is beyond me.
That's how they feel to me. Too constricting around the neck. If it is loose enough not to feel uncomfortable, it does not look proper. That's why I don't like wearing them.

What else can you wear that does not bind around the neck, but looks "dressed up"?
🍉

Offline Olumin

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 07:47:29 »
How a tie would strangulate you however is beyond me.
That's how they feel to me. Too constricting around the neck. If it is loose enough not to feel uncomfortable, it does not look proper. That's why I don't like wearing them.

What else can you wear that does not bind around the neck, but looks "dressed up"?

I’m afraid in modern western culture not too much these days, unless you are willing to wear clip-on ties (don’t). However, I’ve found that how comfortable a tie fits often directly correlates to how well the collars of your shirts fit you in the first place when fully buttoned up. Many men wear shirts either too big too small for them. There should be no (big) visible gap in between the collar and your neck, but it should not be constricting you in any way. It should be barely touching your neck. When moving your head, you should not feel like you are being chocked by your shirt. I usually use the common four-in-hand knot for most occasions, its fast, simple and can be easily re-adjusted once tied. The tie-knot should be slid up to close the gap between tie and shirt, but not so much as to tighten your collar any further.

Offline saint_james

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 04:22:52 »
Both bowties and long neckties are acceptable in the vast majority of  business or semi-formal situations. In Fortune 500 holiday parties (labeled "formal" or "semi-formal"), I've seen bowties, neckties, and even bolo ties being worn.  I've worn both bowties and neckties at many such events (but not bolo ties, which to me are the realm of "business casual").

In full-on formal attire (i.e. so-called "black-tie" tuxedo events) the bowtie is most often the most correct choice, but not always.  It depends on the expectations of the event sponsor/coordinator and what exactly has been communicated to the attendees.  For instance, a formal event coordinated by Dept. of State (ETA: or Foreign  and Commonwealth Office for UK, Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Japan, or equivalent functional entity in whatever country you are in) with foreign dignitaries in attendance will probably mandate tuxedo with black bow tie for male civilians, long gowns for female civilians, and full-dress or mess-dress for military attendees.  At such an event, the only people wearing a common necktie might be security personnel or other support staff.

***Edited to be inclusive of international audience***
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 October 2019, 23:47:48 by saint_james »
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 05:46:18 »

This^

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 07:33:35 »
Both bowties and long neckties are acceptable in the vast majority of  business or semi-formal situations. In Fortune 500 holiday parties (labeled "formal" or "semi-formal"), I've seen bowties, neckties, and even bolo ties being worn.  I've worn both bowties and neckties at many such events (but not bolo ties, which to me are the realm of "business casual").

In full-on formal attire (i.e. so-called "black-tie" tuxedo events) the bowtie is most often the most correct choice, but not always.  It depends on the expectations of the event sponsor/coordinator and what exactly has been communicated to the attendees.  For instance, a formal event coordinated by Dept. of State with foreign dignitaries in attendance will probably mandate tuxedo with black bow tie for male civilians, long gowns for female civilians, and full-dress or mess-dress for military attendees.  At such an event, the only people wearing a common necktie might be security personnel or other support staff.

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline saint_james

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 07:59:25 »
Apparently I was blinded by freedom in my last post.  It was not my intention to offend.  Carry on.
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 08:35:09 »
If you can pull off the bow tie, go for it (e.g. ted danson, alton brown, etc.), otherwise don't try it.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 08:37:06 »
At the end of the day, it's a bow.  Would you wear a bow?  I think bows are nice for infants and gift wrapping

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 08:42:05 »

At the end of the day, it's a tie that never gets in the way.

Fixed that for you.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 09:40:03 »

Fixed that for you.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 11:53:12 »

Fixed that for you.

Well thats the same thing i do with my hair. Make it so it never gets in the way.

NO, I DID NOT GET A BUZZ CUT.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 19:49:25 »
I have never worn a bow tie and it is rare that I need to wear a tie nowadays but when I do it is full Windsor or gtfo  :)
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 04:24:29 »
I have never worn a bow tie and it is rare that I need to wear a tie nowadays but when I do it is full Windsor or gtfo  :)

YEAH BOI FULL MOTHER****ING WINDSOR FOR LYFE!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 18:30:45 »
I don't now and have never owned any ties and reject the whole idea of them. I've only worn one once, out of unfortunate necessity. It was super uncomfortable, too.

**** ties.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 03:47:49 »
I don't now and have never owned any ties and reject the whole idea of them. I've only worn one once, out of unfortunate necessity. It was super uncomfortable, too.

**** ties.

What was the court outcome? Acquitted

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 06:46:56 »

YEAH BOI FULL MOTHER****ING WINDSOR FOR LYFE!

Windsor? As in the city neighbouring Detroit

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 07:05:56 »

**** ties.

What was the court outcome? Acquitted
I did actually get summoned to court once for failing to pay €0.00, which led a bailiff to fine me €240 and a day in court. Was pretty flabbergasted at that.

The failings of civil servants, as always, knows virtually no boundaries! Needless to say, once I colourfully pointed out the error of their dubious and sinister ways, the matter was quickly settled 8) . No ties were needed, thankfully. I would've definitely countersued if that had been the case.

Offline iri

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 12:50:22 »
I did actually get summoned to court once for failing to pay €0.00, which led a bailiff to fine me €240
Netherlands. The country of opportunity!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 21:00:44 »
I did actually get summoned to court once for failing to pay €0.00, which led a bailiff to fine me €240
Netherlands. The country of opportunity!
The opportunity to get ****ed over Oo .

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 08:27:56 »
The opportunity to get ****ed over Oo .

I thought uropens were gud'er than typical 'muricans