Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 355866 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2400 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 03:20:32 »
Seeing this thread in Spy reminded me that I've not messed with my OS in a long time and on checking it's been nearly two years since I installed Arch, most of that running XFCE.  That has to be some kind of record and I've not had any problems so it will be extended.

This is why I call Linux boring.
Within 6-12 months my Windows installs were always trashed.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | GMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2401 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 03:52:25 »
Seeing this thread in Spy reminded me that I've not messed with my OS in a long time and on checking it's been nearly two years since I installed Arch, most of that running XFCE.  That has to be some kind of record and I've not had any problems so it will be extended.

I've ran Linux as my primary OS for about 16 years, trashed many installs going too bleeding edge like running CVS XF86 (I think that's what Xorg was called back then?) so the graphics in my laptop worked and similar when transparency was nearly available.  Or there was a new desktop environment to check out and I didn't want the mess of updating multiple or the allure of Gentoo's complete optimisation bit me so that meant a new install on a second partition sharing /home...  New job means less time at home so I'm now just a user rather than a tweaker.  Maybe there is nothing to play with and it's got boring but I'm sure I could find something to break if I looked :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod
MX Brown 30g, HHKBish
Vortex OEM PBT
for See how the other half lives challenge!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2402 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 21:48:05 »

I've ran Linux as my primary OS for about 16 years, trashed many installs going too bleeding edge like running CVS XF86 (I think that's what Xorg was called back then?) so the graphics in my laptop worked and similar when transparency was nearly available.  Or there was a new desktop environment to check out and I didn't want the mess of updating multiple or the allure of Gentoo's complete optimisation bit me so that meant a new install on a second partition sharing /home...  New job means less time at home so I'm now just a user rather than a tweaker.  Maybe there is nothing to play with and it's got boring but I'm sure I could find something to break if I looked :thumb:
Oh, it can break, I've done it many times but it's not the same as Windows where there's a registry that just gets more and more bloated with garbage.
Not that Linux purges perfect, but it just doesn't get bogged down by it like Windows does.

The other big difference is Linux, as strange as it may seem to Windows users, actually adheres to stricter control of data than Windows. Sure a program may get placed in a different place but al MY data is in the home folder, if I copy that everything is backed up. If you do that in Windows and paste it back into another Windows install ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. There are things that should never be copied in there, save files in random places, for as much as Windows users thing Windows is standardized it's really a gigantic mess because companies and users are free to place anything anywhere. It's maddening.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | GMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline sharktastica

• CompSci research student, IBMer, r/ModelM mod
    • Shark's IBM Stuff
« Reply #2403 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 13:29:16 »
I run a bunch of old and new ThinkPads, for which I usually default to either TinyCore or Mint respectively. TinyCore is extremely lightweight - it takes a while to set up right, but I find it squeezes out every bit of an old machine's performance and allows me to save money with upgrading old machines storage with makeshift IDE SSDs. TinyCore with FLTK/FLWM is 16MB by default, however, I use the 106MB CorePlus since it has wireless and non-US keyboard support built in.

Mint just works. 'Nuff said.

I also presently have single machines running Arch, Kali, Kubuntu and Manjaro at the moment.