Author Topic: Recommendations for a set of Bookshelf Speakers for PC setup.  (Read 5956 times)

Offline dandanflake

• Confused Bi-Product of a Misinformed Culture
Greetings, as the title suggests I am looking for a set of good bookshelf speakers for my desktop PC setup.

To get more specific, I have recently moved into a new house and I am redoing my whole setup. I have had custom desk made exactly to my specifications, and I am now in the process of setting up my PC and various peripherals. My current speakers that I have, I have been using for years. They are a pair of massive Pioneer HPM-60's with my Pioneer RX-551 receiver. I love these speakers and they work and sound great. However (as with my last setup) I am forced to leave them on the floor. Leaving the the speakers on the floor is just not going to work for me anymore, and I am now in search of a set of bookshelf speakers to mount to the wall above my setup.

With this all being said I use my setup primarily for gaming, web browsing, watching videos, and listening to music. In general I would like a set of well rounded speakers that will be good for typical multimedia use. I have been browsing several different speakers and I was looking at the Wharfedale Diamond 225's. I would say my price range I around $200-$300. I am also planning to continue to use my Pioneer RX-551 receiver with whatever set of speakers I end up deciding on.

Also as a side note I would prefer the speakers to have wood grain as a color option to match my setup.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing your recommendations and advice.

-Dan
IBM Model M 1989 1391401
Vortex Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Clears

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Recommendations for a set of Bookshelf Speakers for PC setup.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 12:57:56 »
just knock together some 2by4 for a speaker stand, for $8,  why waste money on ****tier speakers.

Offline dandanflake

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 13:51:58 »
just knock together some 2by4 for a speaker stand, for $8,  why waste money on ****tier speakers.

I'd love to do that, but I just feel space is too limited and It would take up to much space on my desk.
IBM Model M 1989 1391401

Offline dandanflake

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 13:54:27 »
Although upon doing some research on Amazon I did find these https://www.amazon.com/Stage-SS7914B-Mount-Speaker-Bracket/dp/B001CR64BE/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=large%2Bspeaker%2Bwall%2Bmount&qid=1593975174&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1 which may work for my speakers... They still may bee too large though. Going to have to do more research.
IBM Model M 1989 1391401

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 14:09:46 »
You can also just cut into the wall, there's at least 5-6 inches of space in the wall to get some more space back.

Offline dandanflake

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 19:50:11 »
You can also just cut into the wall, there's at least 5-6 inches of space in the wall to get some more space back.

Unfortunately that's not possible as my setup is located in my basement and the wall I would be cutting into is only finished with some thin paneling and through that is the laundry room.
Also all of the wall mounts that I could find on Amazon are not big enough to accommodate my speakers. My speakers have approximately a 13.75" width and 2' tall height. If somebody has a link at least to wall mounts that would accommodate these units that would be appreciated.

Either way I am going to need to buy another set of speakers. I was either going to move these over to the TV setup here in my office and buy the bookshelf speakers for my computer setup, or keep using these speakers here and buy another set for the TV setup down here. I am simply looking for the best solution to fit my needs. I'm perfectly fine with keeping these as part of my setup so long as I can get them in a spot to comfortably fit.
IBM Model M 1989 1391401

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 20:03:06 »
Can never go wrong with Monitor Audio
https://www.monitoraudio.com/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 21:20:51 »
If it's basement, check if your studs are metal or wood. the inner wall should be wood studed, the outer towards concrete walls will be metal.

Metal is actually more difficult to work with because you need special mounting bits which can clamp the thin metal studs. and even then they kind of wobble.

It'd be easiest to just move the table away from the wall, and get a TV for a monitor.  That's the best way to do this.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 14:02:19 »
I've enjoyed my Kanto YU2's since I snagged them for a good deal, I was given an order from the other half that I was not aloud to have my large audio setup anymore (Rotel 6 Channel Amp w/ Pre-Amp, Yamaha 10" 250w sub, Polk Monitor 40's, and some other smaller satellite speakers). 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D