Author Topic: what'd you buy for black friday/cyber monday?  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Sniping

what'd you buy for black friday/cyber monday?
« on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 02:55:02 »
happy to report that i didn't buy **** this year. except this damn $2000 bicycle i found on craigslist. that doesn't count though.

Offline jamster

Re: what'd you buy for black friday/cyber monday?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 04:22:14 »
What was the bike? Sounds like it might have been a good find.

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 05:35:44 »
bought confectionery chocolate and peanut butter :) and one indie game not on sale that came out a while back and i found tempting
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 06:36:48 »
A small EDC site had a genuine sale on everything so for the first time ever I bought something during the longest 'day' of the year - a tritium keyring and a round titanium ruler.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 06:43:10 »
I wasn't after deals, it was just when it became available and convenient timing.

NK65 Aluminum in Silver (5% discount?), been stalking it for months and then I had to fight off the hordes to get it. It was only luck that I got it and I'm crossing my fingers until it ships.
4 sets of 39g springs (half price), only needed one set but at half price I grabbed extras.
Set of 62g Zilent V2s (10% off plus free shipping),  I had trouble finding them in stock, not that I'm complaining about the price. (1upkeyboards if you're curious, sale runs through the 1st)

I was very good and didn't buy anything on Steam, Amazon or Newegg. There really wasn't anything there I needed or wanted and most of the deals were were meh anyhow.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 08:29:17 »
Nothing other than catching up further on bills and paying off step-daughter's braces.  Kinda peeved I missed the B/D-Stock NK65's - depending on the flaws I could care less if it's cosmetic that could be fixed or hidden.  Hoping to be able to get in on the TKC Team Liquid capset though.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:40:49 »
I actually stayed pretty under control this BF/CM. I tried for GMK Crimson Cadet extras from NK, but took an L on that, so I grabbed up 4 packs of deskeys films since they were $1 off. That is the extent of my personal BF/CM haul LOL. I did grab some stuff for Christmas gifts though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:48:26 »
Wallywurl Onn 65" Tv $230
Wallywurl Acer monitor 31.5" 165hz VA, $155
Besby 2x 14TB HDD, $280

-Pending_

-Kawai ES920
-RTX 3090
-TCL 635 65"

Offline Sniping

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 13:59:40 »
What was the bike? Sounds like it might have been a good find.

a decent find for sure. i'll get a pic of it when it's in my hands, it's getting shipped right now.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 14:01:04 »
Wallywurl Onn 65" Tv $230
Wallywurl Acer monitor 31.5" 165hz VA, $155
Besby 2x 14TB HDD, $280

-Pending_

-Kawai ES920
-RTX 3090
-TCL 635 65"

Almost forgot about that acer 165hz deal. that was the deal i was considering getting the most, but i play video games like once a week now, which is infrequent enough that i feel like i don't need some specific monitor for it.

I wasn't after deals, it was just when it became available and convenient timing.

NK65 Aluminum in Silver (5% discount?), been stalking it for months and then I had to fight off the hordes to get it. It was only luck that I got it and I'm crossing my fingers until it ships.
4 sets of 39g springs (half price), only needed one set but at half price I grabbed extras.
Set of 62g Zilent V2s (10% off plus free shipping),  I had trouble finding them in stock, not that I'm complaining about the price. (1upkeyboards if you're curious, sale runs through the 1st)

I was very good and didn't buy anything on Steam, Amazon or Newegg. There really wasn't anything there I needed or wanted and most of the deals were were meh anyhow.

It's been a sec since I bought parts for a keyboard build. I heard those durock switches are real nice. 39g sounds pretty damn light...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 15:30:50 »
Almost forgot about that acer 165hz deal. that was the deal i was considering getting the most, but i play video games like once a week now, which is infrequent enough that i feel like i don't need some specific monitor for it.

Tp4 is using it for a piano monitor to display sheetmusic hooked up to a tablet.  It was cheaper than the samsung version of it, $160 (Costco). AND it has a color management system which the samsung lacks.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 17:48:27 »
Past few years has just been warehouse garbage they want to dump. Never anything good or that I actually want.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 19:24:31 »
and 1tb ssd deals that are actually good?

Offline Sniping

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 20:37:55 »

from what i've seen they're never deeply discounted. you'll get like 10, maybe 20 bucks off on a decent one. does you motherboard support m.2 or nvme? those are fast for sure if it's available to you.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 20:59:01 »
Sniping is right, they are rarely discounted.
The best NVME ssd deal for a while has been the Adata XPG SX8200 on Amazon, it ships direct from Adata so you don't get fakes or warranty issues.

It's pretty much the same as the fastest Samsungs for less with fast shipping. You might beat it price-wise on a crazy sale but day in day out these are the best bang for the buck (and these often go on sale). There are cheaper drives but those are all either slower (often by a lot) or have lower I/O, and at this speed and a fast processor the I/O can be a bottleneck.

If you don't have NVME, if you have a spare PCIE slot you can add an adapter for about $10.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 23:06:49 »
1TB sx8200 deal was ~$100  but (not recently)

IMHO, the SN750 @ $115 this blackfriday is the better buy. previous low $125.

There was also, Samsung 970 plus @ $150, still kind of ripoff.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 01:07:38 »
1TB sx8200 deal was ~$100  but (not recently)

IMHO, the SN750 @ $115 this blackfriday is the better buy. previous low $125.

There was also, Samsung 970 plus @ $150, still kind of ripoff.

i just checked the sx8200 right now and it's $100

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 01:16:50 »
i just checked the sx8200 right now and it's $100

welp, then that's the buy point,  was it ever $90 ?

the 2TB is $200, so that's technically the better deal.

Although, if you get 2x you can raid 0

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 02:41:04 »
Just watch out for the smaller models, they have less I/O.

This is common for all drives like this, and even they are quite fast.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Alga

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 05:07:25 »
I spent waaaaay to much money.

I bought my first board from Aliexpress, a hotswap TKL with gateron yellow, nothing fancy. A starter board for some 120€.

I also bought my father's christmas present, a computer, or half of it to be precise. I'm going to upgradis his and mine so I'll be handing down som parts.

I end up buying a B550 Aorus Ellite mobo and Corsair RM 750 gold psu for myself.
8gb of DDR4 3000mh RAM for dad, some thermal paste, and I still have to buy a 3200G cpu for him and a new case for me.
I have spent about 275€ and I still have to get the new case for 70€ and hopefully I can get the processor for under 90€.

And yesterday I had the bad idea of entering in Steam and ended up spending 40€ in Star Wars Fallen Order and Death Stranding. And 30€ in a windows 10 + office key.

I usually don't "fall" onto blackfriday crap, but so far the motherboard has been the only dubious buy at 125€

The rest I consider to be a good enough offer. And most of the things I was going to buy anyway sooner or later.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 December 2020, 05:09:05 by Alga »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 22:01:58 »
Absolutely nothing

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 01:55:50 »
Beware,
Adata has pulled a bait and switch on the SX8200 Pro SSD.

Since the original they have slowly been replacing parts with cheaper parts and the latest change is a slower clocked controller, this was caught end of October and there is still many old ones in the supply chain. Adata claims it hasn't impacted performance, independent testing shows it has to a degree, knocking it down a few pegs on performance charts. It's still faster than anything close in price and in real world use you would be very hard pressed to find an instance you could tell a difference even on a new high end system. So it's stilla  good deal even if it is a shady thing to do. By the way, they're not alone in doing this sort of thing, Sandisk and Kingston both have done this in the past, worse, those companies did it right after initial benchmarks and then made massive cuts to performance.

Link to article.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change

And no, I don't know if my latest one is newer or not, it's big, it's fast, I'm not really concerned.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 08:51:58 »
Beware,
Adata has pulled a bait and switch on the SX8200 Pro SSD.

Since the original they have slowly been replacing parts with cheaper parts and the latest change is a slower clocked controller, this was caught end of October and there is still many old ones in the supply chain. Adata claims it hasn't impacted performance, independent testing shows it has to a degree, knocking it down a few pegs on performance charts. It's still faster than anything close in price and in real world use you would be very hard pressed to find an instance you could tell a difference even on a new high end system. So it's stilla  good deal even if it is a shady thing to do. By the way, they're not alone in doing this sort of thing, Sandisk and Kingston both have done this in the past, worse, those companies did it right after initial benchmarks and then made massive cuts to performance.

Link to article.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change

And no, I don't know if my latest one is newer or not, it's big, it's fast, I'm not really concerned.

Same with Sabrent Drives.  But if you buy a sabrent, well it's a sabrent.

I'm guessing it's also true of the latest SN750 WDigitals.  but no one has checked this .

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 09:33:14 »
Sabrent is entirely(?) a white label company, though to be fair almost every SSD is a white label product these days. It's ridiculously easy to do.

WD's life is drives and they're really trying to move from spinners into SSD.
I'm not sure they would risk this as it's a gamble for a company who really needs to establish themselves, one misstep now and they become just another ssd in an ocean of SSD rather than the major player they were in hard disks.

Samsung uses the high end drives to demonstrate what can be had and sell their chips to other companies so their top of the line will always be good, anything else, meh. Samsung is a massive company and they really don't care too much about end users.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 09:58:03 »
My suspicion is based on the fact that the price all of a sudden on their SN750 dropped to mid-tier level, which is their top of the line at the time. They are technically the #2 performing  Pcie gen 3 drive only slower than Samsung,     The major price difference may have compelled a ramp down in parts (my suspicion).

Offline yui

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 10:22:33 »
WD's life is drives and they're really trying to move from spinners into SSD.
I'm not sure they would risk this as it's a gamble for a company who really needs to establish themselves, one misstep now and they become just another ssd in an ocean of SSD rather than the major player they were in hard disks.
WD bought Sandisk to make their ssd, seems to work not half bad for them, no one buys WD branded ssd but Sandisk seems to sell well enough, see them relatively often. but yeah they are far from what they where in the hdd industry, although spinners still are in use, so far everyone who said they would die next year or in the next X years has been wrong, and in some application it make sense.

and on the OP subject my black friday shopping was very expensive this year as half of it got stolen by the transporter, so my 15% off gone to 50% up... (well i do think it is DPD's insurance that is going to cover that but still i though only FedEx did that)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 13:30:46 »
On my SSD's I've stuck with Samsung and Crucial/Micron, also plan on snagging some Seagate 4TB Iron Wolfs soon since they have dropped in price and Seagate is still invested in their enterprise large capacity drives (14TB+ and working towards 30/40TB dual headed drives too).  Since 2010-13 I've always leaned towards Samsung's Pro series drives just due to warranty and reliability from my experiences with them and other manufacturers, WD is making some good strides in the SSD market - the SN750 is a good drive and a decent deal considering (They were smart in picking up SanDisk).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 13:51:13 »
Wurd on the SN750, Tp4 owns 5 of them, they run pretty hot especially full load. good idea to active cool, and if it's in a laptop, get the bigger heatsink for it.