Author Topic: Started drinking and smoking ?  (Read 5474 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Started drinking and smoking ?
« on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 21:51:50 »
Found out a bunch of peeps picked up drinking + smoking during lockdown.

The drinking is understandable,  but previously Thought smoking was only something peeps picked up in highskool, but apparently you can pick it up as an adult too.

Offline Sniping

Re: Started drinking and smoking ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 23:27:21 »
easy to pick up activities that are addictive. doesn't surprise me when boredom strikes and people try new things

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 23:50:33 »
Thinking of picking up smoking again just to get a vaxx

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 00:16:19 »
“There's a new disease that affects the respiratory system, I'm advised to stay home to avoid catching it.  I know - I'll take up a new hobby that makes my breathing crap and means I have to go to the shop more often!”

There is only one activity that possibly rivals this for stupidity and that is making babies.  That must start to hit soon, right?  First lockdown here was late March-ish...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 01:23:50 »
“There's a new disease that affects the respiratory system, I'm advised to stay home to avoid catching it.  I know - I'll take up a new hobby that makes my breathing crap and means I have to go to the shop more often!”

There is only one activity that possibly rivals this for stupidity and that is making babies.  That must start to hit soon, right?  First lockdown here was late March-ish...
a coworker of mine did that (baby not smoking, although plenty others do smoke) she is due in February. so around that time yeah
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 07:47:05 »
After my drinking started getting out of hand during the first couple of months of lockdown here in the UK, I stopped. Currently 7 months and 24 days sober and I rarely miss it. I can understand taking up smoking again if you've given up, cos it's a stressful time, but starting it having never done it before is a pretty weird thing to do.

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 08:33:57 »
Actually I quit smoking and coffee at the beginning of lockdown

Suprised how easy dropping the habit was, only took me like 12 years lol

Offline iri

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 09:28:50 »
There is only one activity that possibly rivals this for stupidity and that is making babies.
Sorry.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 10:42:48 »

a coworker of mine did that (baby not smoking, although plenty others do smoke) she is due in February. so around that time yeah

Oh dear.  Unless it was planned and at least one parent is in a good job that's not going anywhere, in which case just bad luck having to go to hospital with sick people.  Although with the number of things the virus can break in adults who knows what it might do to a wannabe human so it's a plan I'd have put on hold.

There is only one activity that possibly rivals this for stupidity and that is making babies.
Sorry.

One word, no smiley... :confused:  You pregnant iri?  Or does the above explain away your confusion?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 10:47:59 »

1 of them are doing hookah and vaping.  maybe that's not as killer.

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 16:27:52 »
Sorry.
One word, no smiley... :confused:  You pregnant iri?
If I got pregnant, that would be quite a shock for the public. I'm already trying to imagine the Daily Mail's headlines
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 17:51:19 »
I miss drinking way more than smoking. Mostly because drinking was a way to solve boredom and I only smoked when I was happy so I associate smoking with being productive and happy neither of which I ever am anymore so the need is simply not there. The days I want a ciggy are sunny ones where I got a full night's sleep and am in a good mood. I constantly want to drink though.

Offline yui

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 01:40:43 »

Oh dear.  Unless it was planned and at least one parent is in a good job that's not going anywhere, in which case just bad luck having to go to hospital with sick people.  Although with the number of things the virus can break in adults who knows what it might do to a wannabe human so it's a plan I'd have put on hold.
the mother is my boss and the father is also in a managerial position, so as far as work go they both are pretty safe, especially her knowing how she works, and yeah she was talking to everyone about wanting to have a baby for at least 2 years prior, so planed for sure, but still feels bone headed to do that in middle of Covid-19

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 01:56:45 »
I am far more sensitive to bitterness then the vast majority of the population. Things like Alcohol, strong coffee or even many teas or very dark chocolate are just too bitter for me to enjoy, I never got used to them. I don’t ever drink anything to this day. Once in a blue moon I will try really good wine/beer/whiskey just to check were I’m standing. Yup, still disgusting. Not that that’s bad, it’s a natural evolutionary adaptation in response to potentially poisonous foods. Keep in mind that ethanol is poison. While every healthy person initially has a more or less strong aversion to alcohol and smoking, it appears that most people can learn to grow immune to this reflex after a phase of acclimatization. Not me however.

An “acquired taste” is just a justification for something that’s objectively bad.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2021, 02:02:39 by Olumin »

Offline iri

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 02:14:13 »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yui

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 02:25:24 »
i always like bitter foods, and i like the taste of alcohol just really hate the effects, as soon as i drink one i start to feel a bit a stop there

Offline iri

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 02:40:35 »
i always like bitter foods, and i like the taste of alcohol just really hate the effects, as soon as i drink one i start to feel a bit a stop there
Wait, you don't have a glass of wine every lunch?!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 02:47:24 »

I doubt that. The aversion to bitter foods is especially strong in young children, as they are far more susceptible to poisons than adults. As you grow older, your tolerance for bitterness increases, as a higher dosage is required to cause lasting harm. This is the reason most children don’t like coffee or dark chocolate, but develop a taste for it later in life. If you liked bitter foods since childhood, that would be a genetic abnormality.

Offline yui

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 02:59:20 »
Wait, you don't have a glass of wine every lunch?!
nah i do not like wine, the most beer i ever drank in one week was 3, even though i really like beer, but when after 1 beer you start to feel a bit woozy and then do not get an other one until it has passed, max 1 beer per night out, and usually it was once per week at max, and since covid-19, 0 at max :) although the good part about that is that i can drink rather expensive beer and still not spend a fortune on alcohol like my father does. even though not having a glass of wine with your meal is still a bit taboo where i live (in a bit of a remote part of france, where some of the most popular french flat white wine is made).

I doubt that. The aversion to bitter foods is especially strong in young children, as they are far more susceptible to poisons than adults. As you grow older, your tolerance for bitterness increases, as a higher dosage is required to cause lasting harm. This is the reason most children don’t like coffee or dark chocolate, but develop a taste for it later in life. If you liked bitter foods since childhood, that would be a genetic abnormality.
my mother used to put bitter nail polish on my nails to make me stop biting my nail, and well i loved the stuff, it was from 4 to 6... although i never said i was normal :) (and it, for some reasons, did not make me stop biting my nails)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 10:08:38 »
I moved from analog smoking to vaping, I occasionally will still have a cig/cigar when it fancies me but I have no real urge to due so.  Also drinking no longer appeals to me after I stopped for 8+yrs.  Now I rarely have a beer/stiff drink and that's mainly due to the occasion - New Years or very special events (used to drink a case of beer and a few shots every night before I stopped and to where I am now).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 12:44:50 »

used to drink a case of beer and a few shots every night

That's a pound (aka 1/2 liter) of actual alcohol per 24 hours. Makes my head hurt to think about it.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Exluna

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 13:20:02 »
I moved from analog smoking to vaping, I occasionally will still have a cig/cigar when it fancies me but I have no real urge to due so.  Also drinking no longer appeals to me after I stopped for 8+yrs.  Now I rarely have a beer/stiff drink and that's mainly due to the occasion - New Years or very special events (used to drink a case of beer and a few shots every night before I stopped and to where I am now).

We're in the same head space man. These days, rarely drink. The occasional Shochu, once in a long while. Stopped smoking when I moved to vaping and even been trying to reduce that as well. Used to drink a ridiculous amount and smoke... Well smoke anything that you could wrap up in some Rizlas lol. Those years are long past me now.

People are STARTING to smoke and drink? Well... Damn. Here's me trying to stop all that nonsense. Funny old world.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 16:42:39 »

That's a pound (aka 1/2 liter) of actual alcohol per 24 hours. Makes my head hurt to think about it.

Me and my old roommate used to split a 16pak of Natty Ice every night. 8 beers each and every night for like 4 years, unless of course we went out drinking. I was in the best shape of my life back then ironically.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 19:26:04 »
I lived with a guy in college used bring 2 litres of poitin with him every Sunday night. After a few weeks of that regimen I was drinking half a bottle of whiskey before the pub and ordering double brandies for the rest of the night. Did that continuously for about 6 months till I blew through my savings. I'd a whale of a time.

Now I'm barely drinking its boring at home on your own. Off the ***s a few years just vaping. I'd like to pack that in eventually it's easy end up smoking the thing continuously all day.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 07:43:24 »

Yeah, that was another reason to stop drinking at that frequency lol - mornings weren't the best depending on how much I ate the night prior.

We're in the same head space man. These days, rarely drink. The occasional Shochu, once in a long while. Stopped smoking when I moved to vaping and even been trying to reduce that as well. Used to drink a ridiculous amount and smoke... Well smoke anything that you could wrap up in some Rizlas lol. Those years are long past me now.

People are STARTING to smoke and drink? Well... Damn. Here's me trying to stop all that nonsense. Funny old world.

Yeah, I would still smoke the alternative but due to work requirements of an annual or surprise testing I can't, which I have my reasons to but don't have a medical card to give me a pass (but live in GA which has been slow to even fully accept medical).  I do plan on eventually even giving up the vaping as I've just swapped to a different platform to get my fix.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 07:54:02 »
I do plan on eventually even giving up the vaping as I've just swapped to a different platform to get my fix.

This is the most difficult part.

Imagine all the <Motivation> wasted on smoking/drinking,  channeled into a skill mastery.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 02:49:42 »
Imagine all the <Motivation> wasted on smoking/drinking,  channeled into a skill mastery.

Even useless human babies* have mastered sucking within days of being born and it doesn't take them long to hold a bottle - I would not be impressed if anyone claims to have mastered vaping :p

*compare a giraffe that gets born, falls 10 feet to the floor then stands up or a bird/reptile that has to have the strength and intelligence to escape an egg
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 January 2021, 11:55:34 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 07:10:02 »
Back in Europe in the olden days when a plague struck and people didn't know any better, there was a widespread belief that smoke would protect against disease. In the 1600's and 1700's this misconception inspired many people to try the new big thing from the New World called tobacco ...

I can't drink much alcohol. My stomach is too sensitive. I've had problems all 2020 since a glass of whisky in November 2019. First in the last few weeks have I been able to start sleeping horizontally again, without suffering from acid reflux.
And there is nothing I hate more than tobacco smoke.
🍉

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 21:54:00 »
It's literally illegal for me to do plus i hate alcohol

Offline peterlewis

• EduHelpHub
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 04:13:01 »
Drinking: yes; Smoking: not so much.

More like a wine and beer person.  :thumb:

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 14:50:38 »

Me and my old roommate used to split a 16pak of Natty Ice every night. 8 beers each and every night for like 4 years, unless of course we went out drinking. I was in the best shape of my life back then ironically.
Well, some might argue that Natty Ice is the beer equivalent of a sinclair ZX keyboard....
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 17:44:28 »
Bah, I was really bored this week and caved when I went grocery shopping. Ye Olde Weed Store is right next to the grocery store and I caved :(

Still 100% booze free though. For now.

Smoking last night really f'ed my sinuses this morning, so guess that's the drawback.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 20:04:17 »
Bah, I was really bored this week and caved when I went grocery shopping. Ye Olde Weed Store is right next to the grocery store and I caved :(

Still 100% booze free though. For now.

Smoking last night really f'ed my sinuses this morning, so guess that's the drawback.

It's only ok to smoke when you're rewatching Chernobyl and observing the tremendous failure and lies that is the nuqular power industry.