Author Topic: Looking for a case... since days.. HAALP  (Read 1483 times)

Offline MisterWoo

Looking for a case... since days.. HAALP
« on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 02:19:16 »
Hi there party people,
1st of all, awesome Forum
Browsed the s&$t out of it :)
So ill build my own mech.. who would have guessed.
So far i know i want a case like the AKKO 3087 V2, simple, built in one piece and symmetrical from top to bottom
TKL,80% or full, i don't care, i'm not a writer and not concerned about strain

Now it gets tricky i want RGB, hot swappable and no indicator lights plus wireless and BT.
linear Gateron blacks are my fav so far..
Well basically i'd describe my set up as simple

Hope someone can help me out, all that info and Keycaps and browsing cases makes me crazy  :eek:

Kind Regards
Woo

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Looking for a case... since days.. HAALP
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 06:54:40 »
RGB, hot swappable and no indicator lights plus wireless and BT.

Doesn't exist.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline MisterWoo

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 09:43:09 »
First thing i could get sacrifice is the RGB

Any chances now?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 13:24:25 »
Ergodox is the ideal keyboard for every man woman and child.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 22:28:03 »
RGB isn't the problem it's the wireless/BT,  that alone removes 99% of the market.

What you think is simple is anything but, wirelesss requires a battery which adds thickness, as does hot swap (usually), it's tough to fit all of that into a conventional housing, which is why keyboards like Keychron are often so thick.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline MisterWoo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 00:38:42 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2021, 03:43:20 by MisterWoo »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 05:32:22 »
That case is okay, it's well made, but there's no hot swap, wireless or RGB with compatible boards other than possibly the KBP Disco which is no longer made (and may not even fit regardless). I also have some personal issues with the bottom (kind of not up to the same quality compared to the rest of it) and how it all goes together, it's just not as solid as some other cases made to fit those keyboards, but it's available and others are not so it scores points on that front. People here have used it and their comments seem to reflect what I said above.

I believe Akko is using the same OEM as Ducky(?) or some other decent brand so they should be okay. It may be a cut rate Ducky, but you could do a lot worse.

As for options... Both TKL and high profile (hidden switch tops) are not really in vogue at the moment and fewer boards are actually in stock due to the first stimulus, Back Friday, last Christmas, Covid and just recently another stimulus.  Frankly it's just not a great time to buy and hasn't been for over a year now as we haven't really yet recovered from the Black Friday 2019 due to Covid killing manufacturing just as they tried to replenish inventories.

Here's a few I know of.
Plastic chassis - Pretty much nothing full size or TKL comes with high profile, RGB and hot swap, it's just not in fashion.
Varmillo, Filco, WASD and most Leopold have the look but other than that they match almost nothing you want.
Varmillo has some RGB models but they are mid to low profile and no hot swap, they also start creeping to the aluminum offerings on price.
Ducky offers mid profile with RGB but no hot swap or wifi/bluetooth.
There's some low profile options, Vortex, Royal Kludge and Keychron, the latter 2 even have wireless, however they are very tall which is uncomfortable for some to use and the only ones on the plastics list I know very little about. Most of the rest are older trusted brands.
There's also GMMK which is low profile, it's one of my favorite boards, maybe not the best, but a fun board I enjoy using. It even has pretty good software, giving you almost full programmability like a custom, something many of these lack.

Aluminum chassis - many are not much more costly than the plastic models, but don't include switches and caps, but usually programmable.
Drop CTRL High (available on Amazon, has no indicators but not symetrical)
IDOBAO ID87 TKL -  Sold as parts or whole and with or without hot swap
ABKO AR87 TKL (available on Amazon but a bit different style)
WASD -  No RGB or hot swap but a trusted brand with a nice classic look that you're after (they offer plastic and aluminum versions)
Keychron - do not mistake this board for aluminum, it's a skin over the plastic case, not an aluminum case.
The only brand here I trust is WASD which is something to consider before dropping a few hundred on one of these. I'm not saying they are bad just not enough info, if you're fine with some risk, go for it, but if this is like a once in 5 year purchase for you due to the cost or you're risk averse, don't risk it, stick to known brands.

There's also some Chinese customs you can look at YMDK, KBDfans and Krepublic all make good stuff but shipping from China has been a joke for almost a year. My switches took 3 months and I cancelled my caps when they hadn't even gotten onto the slow boat after roaming the docks for 2 months. I would expect 3-4 months but it could take 5 and with the market how it is, you could be waiting that long on a pre-order before it even tries leaving the warehouse.

You may want to consider a holdover board.
Get something like a GMMK, one of the better yet cheaper boards on this list, build it how you want (switches and stabs, lube, bandaid mod) while watching group buys and inventories for something that is a better match for what you want then just swap over your parts when it finally arrives, which could be weeks to many months, maybe even a year or more. Whatever you do, if you go for aluminum jump on it when you see it's available because much of this stuff is here one minute and gone the next, I mean that literally, Drop is limited runs and could sell out any minute, the KBD67 v2 was pretty much sold out in a day or two, the small Black Friday shipment of Aluminum Nk65's lasted a whole 2 minutes, less if you wanted black. And if you think that's bad be glad you aren't shopping for a GPU, that market is in even worse shape.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline MisterWoo

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 12:46:24 »
THANK you for the detailed answer!!
I think i could easy live without the RGB

So that's off the list. I really like the Akko and I thought a few days back Ill just get a "normal" one until stock is back for cases i like or they'll get produced in the first place. So I'll follow your suggestion and get a board until i can build mine ;/

The IDOBAO ID87 TKL comes close to the product I'm looking for. Case in one piece would be nice

And guess who built a new pc and waits for a 3060 ti LOL

Well.. thanks again :)

Have a nice one!