Author Topic: So what are some other 'buy it once, it lasts a lifetime' type products?  (Read 50125 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
So what are some other 'buy it once, it lasts a lifetime' type products?
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 12:49:41 »
Quote from: ThirdLap;221774
I suppose that you can't argue that trucks are 'manly', but I've noticed that most truck owners rarely buy them for their intended manly use. For most it seems to be primarily about image. Truck beds are almost always empty, not a single scratch or dent to be found, big shiny chrome rims, and most seem to rarely if ever used for towing.  Kinda negates the whole manly thing, imo.

Now would probably be a good time to admit that in addition to my track Miata, I also own a Ford SUV and a Honda Civic. :wink:

I don't really agree with you there. I use my old truck for hauling brush and big things that don't fit in the car. And so do many other people I know.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 15:31:57 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;222040
I don't really agree with you there. I use my old truck for hauling brush and big things that don't fit in the car. And so do many other people I know.

There are exceptions to everything.  I'm mostly referring to the guys who buy trucks and basically treat them like show cars.  That's not manly, that's what you do when you want others to perceive you that way.  

Look at all the countries throughout Europe.  Nearly no one owns a pickup, yet they somehow manage just fine. Funny, that.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 16:40:01 »
Quote from: ThirdLap;222075
There are exceptions to everything.  I'm mostly referring to the guys who buy trucks and basically treat them like show cars.  That's not manly, that's what you do when you want others to perceive you that way.  

Look at all the countries throughout Europe.  Nearly no one owns a pickup, yet they somehow manage just fine. Funny, that.

True, even here in Finland which has very low population density and pretty rugged winter there isn't many pick-ups around. They are more US and Australian thing.

I think pickups isn't too handy either, if you need to move lot of stuff often around with you I think vans are handier and if only occasionally there isn't much trouble to get a trailer...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 13:30:19 »
A pickup makes a great 3rd vehicle. If you don't want three vehicles, then rent a truck when you need to move ****.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 13:41:10 »
In Sweden most farmers have a pickup as 2nd vehicle. Most popular is the Nissan King Cab...
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline jpc

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 14:07:23 »
Ah! I found a pic of the even shinier 1391401 that I sold earlier this year.

This pic was taken without even trying to illustrate the shininess, but check out the B, H, N, M, and L keys.

birth certificate:

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 14:11:57 »
I think this is from armor all or something.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 15:22:59 »
Quote from: ripster;222465
ALPS don't count.  Those keys are thinner than 50 Cents new look.
Show Image

Is that barrel distortion or did his head grow and his body shrunk?
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 18:10:06 »
Quote from: ripster;222446
Nissan.  Looks middling to me.

Can't really go wrong with either.  The only complaint I have about our '07 Civic with 90k miles is that the damn sunvisors keep breaking.

Pleasantly surprised to see Ford reasonably high up on the list.  We have a fully-loaded '09 Escape Limited that has been trouble-free so far.

Offline ThirdLap

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 18:11:02 »
Quote from: didjamatic;222493
Is that barrel distortion or did his head grow and his body shrunk?

Wondering the same thing. Is that really him? :confused:

[EDIT: Nevermind, found it. "The rapper, who plays a football player with cancer in the upcoming film "Things Fall Apart," dropped from 214 pounds to 160 in nine weeks after liquid dieting and running on a treadmill three hours a day."]

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 19:24:30 »
Fords in general are good vehicles, with an exception of a few including the Pinto.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 19:42:17 »
Quote from: kishy
Ford is pretty high on most lists right now, actually. They've got great styling, features people like, and decent variety in their lineup.

Ew! Did you use 'great styling' and 'Ford' in the same sentence? IMO their styling is quite bland and in general they can't compete. The Japanese competitors are typically all better looking and better in general.

Offline gun_sl1nger

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 20:04:56 »
I have had one of these for years.

20 licks on a whetstone and it is sharp again. Carry it everywhere, use it everyday.

Chris Reeve Small Sebenza
Beadblasted Titanium Scales, one side locks the blade in place (called a frame lock)
Blade is S30V (A type of super steel which holds a functional edge for a long time)
Milled Via CNC then hand finished. Each blade is individually fitted to the Knife Scales for a perfect fit and super strong lockup.

Beautiful, functional, last a lifetime. Plus once every few years, you send it back to the knife foundry and they refurb it to make it like new.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 September 2010, 21:00:46 by gun_sl1nger »
HHKB P2 Charcoal/Black
HHKB P2 White
Deck 82 \'Fire\'
Topre Realforce 87u Black
GHSS (Its in the mail)!

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 22:33:43 »
Interesting - IMHO the" best looking models of today" that are presented by Ford are highly reminiscent of the Accords of yesterday.

and sewing machines only last nearly forever.  There are some with plastic molded gears that eventually disintegrate like the plastics on the autos - whole solid pieces that just crumble under pressure.  Then its time for a new one that will last the next 20 to 30 years if its built right.  The heavier the better.  Chad actually rescued a neat cast iron one with a foot pedal action from a thriftstore for like 30 bucks.  Kind of an industrial antique or something, but quite pretty actually once he spiffed it up.  Weighs a dang ton though, so its still at the place he used to live
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 01:29:49 »
Just about anything built between 1950 and 1968 is probably going to last 100 years longer than anything built in the last 30 years.  Huge generalization, but mostly true.  First thing that comes to mind is classic cars, then old tools, radios, etc.  Of course, you probably wouldn't want to keep your 60 year old refrigerator.  I mentioned that, b/c my neighbor has a 60 year old refrigerator that's never had a problem.  It consumes a lot of power...
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 06:58:14 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;222608
Iand sewing machines only last nearly forever.

I would have mentioned my Husqvarna from the 1940's already if only the zigzag stitch wasn't broken. It works as a tank otherwise, though.
🍉

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 12:17:36 »
Oh yeah - forgot the one thing I should have realized as a "buy once and keep forever" item.  Amazing how it slipped by considering I am surrounded by them taking up space all over the house... BOOKS!  Just reminded m'self because I gave in and purchased a service a manual for both vehicles in the house.  Though I think the bimmer guide is gonna get a bit more use than the honda one, it is nice to know how to diagnose the Check Engine Light with a paper clip...  Makes it a bit easier to start calling around for estimates when you know beforehand what  job they'll be estimating.

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #117 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 14:51:14 »
Quote from: Julle;222696
As for longevity of cars, I took this picture in Stockholm in the summer of 2009. Pre-1980s Mercedes-Benzes seem to last forever.

Hmm 16k£ for service of old Merc?!?
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 September 2010, 14:59:01 by Ekaros »
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 13 September 2010, 16:59:17 »
Quote from: kishy;222638
Show Image

Gotta tell ya, I'm not seeing it lol.

Is that a mustang? That looks more like a chevy than a ford - sorta like a camaro on steroids.  Or maybe a chevy/Dodge bastard child of the camaro and a charger.  

But seriously, I remember working at a Honda dealership when the body style on the accord was all the new buzz on the changes and the new coupe (generation 7).   To me anything that looks like that cross between that slightly boxy style merged with audi front end look reminds me of an Accord since then, but do like the looks of that Generation Accords much better than the 80's angular edges they used to have (which reminds me of a Camry or the rather blah Infinity styling).  But how can you not see the similarity?  Without the seeing the logo I would have a bit a of trouble picking out the Ford from twenty paces away among the following:
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 September 2010, 03:03:55 by Voixdelion »

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 09:52:21 »
Quote from: ripster;222465
I'm just curious if anybody has an IBM that's shinier because that isn't all that shiny.

My long-term (10+ years) Model M is shiny, especially along the home row. A lot of those keys feel smooth to the touch, while the numeric keypad keys feel like sandpaper by comparison.

Born on date for this one is June of 93. I pushed a lot of COBOL, REXX and JCL through it before bringing it home a couple years ago. Then it was my main home keyboard until I bought a Space Saving to accomodate the keyboard tray on my desk last year.

Hmm... I just noticed that the 'y' key sometimes misses when I'm hitting it at an angle.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 16:51:14 »
Aerobie frisbees:

That is, until you eventually use it too close to the ocean and it disappears in the waves. :(
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 16:54:22 »
These frisbees are even better:

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 20 September 2010, 21:34:08 »
I've always wanted an indestructible umbrella. Maybe I should get one of these. The ability to harm people with it would be a bonus.

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 21 September 2010, 00:48:39 »
Quote from: ripster;224993

Show Image

Is that cherry corp marketing and distribution manager I see in the background?

Also kitchen-aid makes garbage since the brand name left hobart. if you want their good stuff you have to buy it vintage.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 September 2010, 00:51:40 by Infinite north »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 23 September 2010, 16:37:39 »
What background?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Zerius

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 24 September 2010, 02:07:58 »
a pool cue

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 27 September 2010, 10:53:18 »
I actually have a bespoke suit jacket that's older than I am. :P Well, my dad was pretty much the same size back in the time. :P

Offline ironman31

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 22:53:00 »
Just got this Saddleback wallet. They tell me it'll last 100 years... We shall see.

Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 02:03:35 »
Ironman-
FYI:
Full-grain leather vs. split-grain.....BIG difference in wear. Who knows about 100 years....such silly pride!!!!!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline captain

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 03:31:06 »
Eames Chair

Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline captain

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 21:11:11 »
Holy condom
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline larsolav

Re: So what are some other 'buy it once, it lasts a lifetime' type products?
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 17:16:40 »
Tupperware kitchen products will last a lifetime.

Mum and dad have had one of these since the 1980s, still not a scratch:

They have also got one of these moccamaster coffeemakers since the 80s, still in use:

Keyboards: Model M 122-key and two Dell AT102W new in box.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 08:32:00 »
I have a Pioneer RX-Z71 hifi that my dad bought in 1989. I've been using it every day for my PC audio/record player since about 2006 and it was our family stereo before that. Parts of it are slowly dying, the CD player was the first to go, now the cassette decks don't work though I haven't needed them since ~1999 and I had to replace the belt on the record player a few years ago. Other than that it seems in pretty good shape and when the receiver finally dies I'll probably just buy or build an amp so I can still use the speakers.

As for other stuff that should last a lifetime: studio recording gear. The recording studio at my college had a (beautiful) Mackie analogue desk which was only a few years younger than me as well as several microphones that were (probably) older than me. A Shure SM57 or SM58 will survive pretty much anything, you can throw them at walls and they'll still sound just as good as they did prior to the abuse (not that I'm recommending it). Basically any decent quality studio microphone as long as you treat it properly.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:19:48 »

The Macintosh SE is a good "buy it once and it lasts a lifetime" product. I've got 6 or 7 of them all in good running shape, and many of them are over 25 years old now.

Offline DrSchlock

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:23:05 »
Mechanical Clocks. I have a small collection of them, some of which have lasted several lifetimes.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 02:21:00 »
Condoms. Man that one has been sitting in my wallet forever.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 04:59:38 »
Quote from: Babbylar;212303
A decent microwave. Mine is still going after 20 years.

Somewhat it sad that before kitchen appliances lasted 15-20 years(in my house the electric-oven/stove, fridge/freezer and dishwasher each lasted at least 15 years I think, and fridge still going strong for 20 year which is about my age...)
And now just 3-4 years at worst...

It's called "planned obsolescence"

Back then companys tried to get customers by trying to build the best product for the price,
but then they realized that its much more lucrative to sell the customer a new product every 3-5 years.

Basically there are 3 ways to "encourage" a customer to replace a old product with a new one:

1. Technological innovation

For example...
Cameras: More megapixels, HD Video, Wifi
Cars: Lower fuel consumption, better security features
TVs: LCD / Plasma, Brightness and Contrast, HD Ready / Full HD / 3D

2. Fashion / Trend / More modern design

Shape and color choices of the products
New features and gimmicks that are "trendy" right now

3. If the old product breaks

1. and 2. wont work well on a lot products (Ever felt the need to get a new washing machine because the new model looks more trendy? Me neither!)
So they have to resort to 3. (Doesn't mean they don't do it for products that fit in category 1. and/or 2. tho)
Perhaps read about the Phoebus Cartel, one of the early attempts for planned obsolescence...
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 December 2012, 15:29:48 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 05:02:38 »
Btw, "Hilti" should be added to the powertool list, Id rank it even higher than the others... Hilti > Dewalt > Makita, Milwaukee, others

Offline YMSNoms

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 07:59:45 »
Most jewelery could be clased as lifetime products, then again I'm wearing a friendship bracelet a very good friend of mine gave me almost 15 years ago so that works too.
Leopold FC700R
Filco Majestouch-2 Multicamo
Korean FR4-87 Lambo Orange Custom

Offline mikaelse

I have a soft spot for built to last stuff,
Nr 1 My HP41CV scientific calculator made 1980 and used every day at work. never repaired. Will outlast me. Modern with 9 month battery and fully programmable. Even every button can be assigned.
Nr 2 My outdoor pants made by Fjällräven. 20+ years. Military grade cotton
Nr 3 Lexus LS400 car 1995. feels like it has another 20 years to go

Mikael

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
In the late 1970s my (then) girlfriend asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her "a really good knife"

She went to the hardware store and the clerk talked her into getting me the best needle-nosed pliers that they carried.

At the time, I was disappointed, but now, over half a lifetime later, they are still as excellent as they were new.

I rarely think about her, but I use those pliers all the time.

Thanks, Joyce!

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
In the late 1970s my (then) girlfriend asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told her "a really good knife"

She went to the hardware store and the clerk talked her into getting me the best needle-nosed pliers that they carried.

At the time, I was disappointed, but now, over half a lifetime later, they are still as excellent as they were new.

Thanks, Joyce!

Did you ever end up getting a really good knife?

And if so, has it lasted as well as the pliers?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Did you ever end up getting a really good knife?

And if so, has it lasted as well as the pliers?

I have had a number of knives (dozens) and they are all different. I have developed a liking (in certain situations) for "crap" knives made from soft steel that will take a great edge but won't hold it for long.

My best long-term knife is probably an 8" chef's knife that I got for a wedding present in 1992.

When my father died, I got his favorite needle-nose, which looks stupid but works well, and may be nearly as old as I am, but the ones Joyce gave me are better.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females

Thanks, Joyce!

Hope ur wife doesn't chk up on ur forum posts reminiscing about old GFs..   I herd wive h8s that..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Hope ur wife doesn't chk up on ur forum posts reminiscing about old GFs.

Don't worry, it all happened long before you were even born.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Hope ur wife doesn't chk up on ur forum posts reminiscing about old GFs.

Don't worry, it all happened long before you were even born.

Tp4 is an entity that transcends time..

I was there and will always be.. 

Offline RickyJ

I'm using my dad's old first-gen Fluke 83 multimeter from 1990, I just had to fix some bad solder joints and it works great!  I want to get a Fluke 289 to be able to do even more, but I still won't get rid of this 83!  It's still faster than the "good" Bosch meters at school.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
My i486 DX2.  I was told when I bought it that I would never have to upgrade again.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
I'm using my dad's old first-gen Fluke 83 multimeter from 1990, I just had to fix some bad solder joints and it works great!  I want to get a Fluke 289 to be able to do even more, but I still won't get rid of this 83!  It's still faster than the "good" Bosch meters at school.

+1 on the Fluke multimeters! Quality stuff!

My contributions to the list:

- Quality turntables like the Technics SL-1200/1210
- Classic Burberry or Aquascutum Trenchcoats