Author Topic: will geekhack website be updated?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline doggo1dance

will geekhack website be updated?
« on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 04:58:02 »
just curious, will geekhack ever be updated in the future?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: will geekhack website be updated?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 09:19:52 »
My guess is that we are accustomed to it and see no reason to change for the sake of change.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 11:45:27 »

on my phone

<original message removed>

The underlying concept of the keyboard is that it is a peripheral device connected to a computer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 February 2022, 14:15:10 by HoffmanMyster »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline butre

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 12:17:21 »

on my phone

<original message removed>

The underlying concept of the keyboard is that it is a peripheral device connected to a computer.
I'm typing this on a solid state capacitive keyboard with haptic feedback intended for and succeeding at emulating tactility.  its integrated into my oneplus 8.  the tech here is cool as hell.  the underlying concept of a keyboard is that it's an input device for sending text to a screen, and I don't believe being integrated into the screen discounts it from being a keyboard.  as long as the end result is good I think we're kosher.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 February 2022, 14:15:29 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 14:16:41 »

What sort of updates are you looking for?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 14:27:06 »
"Updated" should be in quotes.

And I seriously hope not.
🍉

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 15:02:33 »

what about Polls !!

and we should run a gekha Gatcha' game on the CPU..

Also Gekha Crypto Currency... Yeeeeeaaa... Buddy

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 04:06:31 »

design overhaul? proly not. maybe just some additional features like polls, or enhancement of account features like actually being allowed to delete aco****s.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 12:52:59 »

Don't fix what already works

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 14:38:11 »
deleting accounts doesn't work
neither does deleting posts
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 15:13:46 »

what about Polls !!

and we should run a gekha Gatcha' game on the CPU..

Also Gekha Crypto Currency... Yeeeeeaaa... Buddy

Show Image

tp4's BIOS needs update
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 15:44:52 »

If you run a website, NEVER delete user accounts.

On my chat forums, pretty much any time someone asked to delete an account within a week later I would get a message asking for information on said user because they had ripped someone off, and because that account was gone so was the email and IP address as well as any other info about themselves they had posted that could have been used to help find the person. It almost never failed.

What I ended up doing instead was locking the account so even that user had no way to alter any of it and try to hide anything.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 12:34:04 »
I don't see a need to update the site, the forum's format works well and is simple to learn quickly.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 12:57:52 »
I don't see a need to update the site, the forum's format works well and is simple to learn quickly.

Tp4 want Gekha Crypto.... 

Offline butre

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 15:57:14 »

On my chat forums, pretty much any time someone asked to delete an account within a week later I would get a message asking for information on said user because they had ripped someone off, and because that account was gone so was the email and IP address as well as any other info about themselves they had posted that could have been used to help find the person. It almost never failed.

What I ended up doing instead was locking the account so even that user had no way to alter any of it and try to hide anything.
if you run a website you need to be able to delete the account for GDPR compliance.  can't legally serve the EU otherwise

Offline iri

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 16:31:50 »

if you run a website you need to be able to delete the account for GDPR compliance.  can't legally serve the EU otherwise
Oh that's an interesting idea.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 20:01:29 »

My policy eventually became I would lock the account and if they wanted it deleted they would have to ask again in a few months, to make sure no surprises turned up.
Any guesses how many actually bothered? Not a single one in the last 10 years.

As for GDPR,
No one is actually deleting data, they're just hiding it from you.
The very same people passing those laws are the same people who want that data preserved in case you break the law. Same goes for encryption, they don't want you encrypting your messages, but then they're going to let you just delete the data? See the conflict here?
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline butre

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 10:11:00 »

My policy eventually became I would lock the account and if they wanted it deleted they would have to ask again in a few months, to make sure no surprises turned up.
Any guesses how many actually bothered? Not a single one in the last 10 years.

As for GDPR,
No one is actually deleting data, they're just hiding it from you.
The very same people passing those laws are the same people who want that data preserved in case you break the law. Same goes for encryption, they don't want you encrypting your messages, but then they're going to let you just delete the data? See the conflict here?
any website that just hides the data is not GDPR compliant.  the law is pretty explicit about how it's meant to be handled.  your timeline of "a few months" runs afoul of the GDPR's "without undue delay" clause, more than a month is considered an undue delay.

unless you're in the medical field or doing scientific or historical research the only times you don't have to delete data by request is if that data is being used in a legal proceeding, that's what's meant to keep everything else flowing smoothly.

also this is EU law, not American law.  EU lawmakers aren't in the business of protecting corporate interests and they're not in the business of filling for-profit prisons.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 February 2022, 10:12:54 by butre »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 15:56:47 »
any website that just hides the data is not GDPR compliant.

OH NO!

Anyways.

E.U. law, Russian Law, Chinese law...
Pass all the laws you want but that data is not going to be deleted, you're going to have to pry it from their cold, dead hands... Before another company buys it at the auction and repeats the cycle. They will never give up that data and any report to the contrary is a lie.

Fun fact, it's almost impossible to serve the U.S., E.U. and Russia without breaking at least one data retention law.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline butre

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 21:52:03 »
any website that just hides the data is not GDPR compliant.

OH NO!

Anyways.

E.U. law, Russian Law, Chinese law...
Pass all the laws you want but that data is not going to be deleted, you're going to have to pry it from their cold, dead hands... Before another company buys it at the auction and repeats the cycle. They will never give up that data and any report to the contrary is a lie.

Fun fact, it's almost impossible to serve the U.S., E.U. and Russia without breaking at least one data retention law.
there are no equivalents to the GDPR in the US and no mandatary data retention laws.  Unless you're trying to tap into the Chinese market, the only ones to bother with are EU laws.

I don't know about Russian laws, and I don't know about your stats, but about 95% of activity from Russia on websites I manage are bots probing for SQL vulnerabilities, so I don't particularly care for or about the Russian market.  As for China, I'm already blocked by the great firewall.

I'm not sure crying about how other websites are hoarding data too is a good excuse for you to be noncompliant.  you wouldn't follow pol pot, so why follow zuckerberg?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 February 2022, 21:55:35 by butre »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 22:52:14 »
I'm not sure crying about how other websites are hoarding data too is a good excuse for you to be noncompliant.  you wouldn't follow pol pot, so why follow zuckerberg?
Who's crying?
I don't live in the E.U., my websites are not in the E.U.

My policy was in effect before GDPR or Zuck was really a thing and I already stated why.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 10:38:37 »
Why be compliant with GDPR when I have no business in the EU market at this time, and more than likely would make a separate entity to do so in on that side to be "compliant".  Thinking Corps in EU are fully compliant, you're being naive to most giants within each industry who work through loopholes and have their shady sides.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 10:55:36 »
Why be compliant with GDPR when I have no business in the EU market at this time, and more than likely would make a separate entity to do so in on that side to be "compliant".  Thinking Corps in EU are fully compliant, you're being naive to most giants within each industry who work through loopholes and have their shady sides.

We'd have to be compliant when  GekhaDoge crypto comes to market.