Author Topic: Cherry Switch Tester Holiday Tour 2011!  (Read 93227 times)

Offline nolliepoper

Cherry Switch Tester Holiday Tour 2011!
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 20:02:48 »
Quote from: hashbaz;466721
If this meetup plan doesn't work, is it cool if we route the Tester to Akimbo first so he can see it before he goes out of town?

Why? You mean skip me?
Filco MJ2 TKL (Brown)
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #301 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 20:37:23 »
Quote from: nolliepoper;466806
Why? You mean skip me?

I mean do Akimbo first and come back to you, so he can have it before he leaves on the 19th.

Offline nolliepoper

« Reply #302 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 21:04:06 »
Quote from: hashbaz;466829
I mean do Akimbo first and come back to you, so he can have it before he leaves on the 19th.

I have to go out to town before Christmas too. Is there any reason he can't get the tester when he comes back?
Filco MJ2 TKL (Brown)
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #303 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 22:07:39 »
Quote from: nolliepoper;466850
I have to go out to town before Christmas too. Is there any reason he can't get the tester when he comes back?

I'm actually leaving South Florida on the 19th for Orlando (Apopka more specifically).  I could do a hand delivery of the tester on the 20th or 21st if that's cool with you and hasbaz.  If it isn't, no biggie.  I'll sit this round out.

Edit: Nvm nolliepoper...I just re-read your post from the last page...so I guess a hand delivery is out of the question for the 20th through the 22nd.  I'm in Orlando from the night of the 19th through mid-day on the 23rd.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 December 2011, 22:13:58 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 22:18:57 »
Quote from: nolliepoper;466850

Ah, I see.  Well then let's keep the order intact, and we'll get to Akimbo when we can.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #305 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 22:19:37 »
Quote from: hashbaz;466883
Ah, I see.  Well then let's keep the order intact, and we'll get to Akimbo when we can.

Sounds like a plan.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline nolliepoper

« Reply #306 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 23:09:16 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;466878
I'm actually leaving South Florida on the 19th for Orlando (Apopka more specifically).  I could do a hand delivery of the tester on the 20th or 21st if that's cool with you and hasbaz.  If it isn't, no biggie.  I'll sit this round out.

Edit: Nvm nolliepoper...I just re-read your post from the last page...so I guess a hand delivery is out of the question for the 20th through the 22nd.  I'm in Orlando from the night of the 19th through mid-day on the 23rd.

You can hand the tester to me on the 20th, I only need to try the ergo clears for a few minutes, if you don't mind meeting up around the UCF area of Orlando.
The only reason I was hoping to try the tester before I go home, is because my father and I could solder my Filco's switches if I prefer the ergo clears, during the break.
Filco MJ2 TKL (Brown)
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #307 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 23:11:37 »
Quote from: nolliepoper;466903
You can hand the tester to me on the 20th, I only need to try the ergo clears for a few minutes, if you don't mind meeting up around the UCF area of Orlando.
The only reason I was hoping to try the tester before I go home, is because my father and I could solder my Filco's switches if I prefer the ergo clears, during the break.

It's cool man.  I don't want to put anyone out of order if they are on a schedule.  Though...I could go for a Box Car Willy at Lazy Moon.  Man I miss Box Car Willies.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline nolliepoper

« Reply #308 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 23:17:48 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;466904
It's cool man.  I don't want to put anyone out of order if they are on a schedule.  Though...I could go for a Box Car Willy at Lazy Moon.  Man I miss Box Car Willies.

You can go first if you don't mind meeting up with me around the UFC area no later than the 20th, and at the end of the day it's all up to hashbaz, he is doing all of us a favor.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 December 2011, 23:27:20 by nolliepoper »
Filco MJ2 TKL (Brown)
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 23:24:31 »
Quote from: nolliepoper;466908
You can go first if you don't mind meeting up with me around the UFC area no later than the 20th, I really don't mind and at the end of the day it's all up to hashbaz, he is doing all of us a favor.

I don't know what my schedule will be like in Orlando so I can't promise that I'd be able to get the tester to you by no later than the 20th.  I'll just see if I can go last on the east coast tour.  If not, I'll just forgo my spot on the east coast tour altogether.  

And yes, hasbaz is awesome for putting this whole thing together.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline nolliepoper

« Reply #310 on: Thu, 08 December 2011, 23:32:58 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;466911
I don't know what my schedule will be like in Orlando so I can't promise that I'd be able to get the tester to you by no later than the 20th.  I'll just see if I can go last on the east coast tour.  If not, I'll just forgo my spot on the east coast tour altogether.  

And yes, hasbaz is awesome for putting this whole thing together.

Alright, just let me know if you want me to hand you the tester at Lazy Moons on the 20th.
Filco MJ2 TKL (Brown)
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline CanadaRox

« Reply #311 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 00:56:09 »
Quote from: hashbaz;466595
I added you to the future rounds list.  There are no definite plans for the next round yet, but a lot of Canadians expressed interest early on, so it will definitely make it up there before another US round happens.

I'd love to take part in the next round.  Trying to decide if I want clears or blues on my next keyboard.  Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Das Keyboard | KBC Poker | Phantom [WIP]

Offline Skoobs

« Reply #312 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 01:14:09 »
im not going to be able to make it to the socal meet, so dont remove me from the list!

thanks

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #313 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 14:48:36 »
What no tracking number to my place? I wanna know where it is... lol. I cannot wait to do a review, I was also thinking about doing a video review for a new youtube channel. I'll let everyone know if that happens.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline falerus

« Reply #314 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 15:26:02 »
Just received the tester! Review coming soon. There wasn't enough interest for the LA meetup so I'll be shipping to demik tomorrow or monday.

Thoughts:
browns: can baaarely tell that it's tactile... thought i would like these the most, and i'm really not sure if i do.
blues: don't think i (or wife) can stand the sound. i do like that it's light though.
blacks: too heavy
reds: i like these. i do game (not pro) but i also code... not sure if these are good for both
clears: i'm a noob so i had a hard time telling the difference between the clears and the brown lol. i could only tell when pressing verrry slowly. more tactility but also too heavy i think.
ergo clears: i liked this initially, but then i realized that it doesn't have enough force pushing the key up on release.
tacto clears: do not want - heavy
green: do not want - clicky
grey: meh... something just doesn't feel right

bonus: the rightmost ergo clear pings like crazy

Conclusion:
I think I narrowed it down to brown or red. Really need to try typing on those... so I'm hoping there's a meetup sometime. If anyone has any insight on how important tactility is, please let me know. I like the red but I feel like coming from RD's I'll have a hard time adjusting to zero tactile feedback. All I do is game and code, so if anyone also does that please let me know what you use and how you like it!

Big thanks to hashbaz and litster for this!
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 December 2011, 17:24:04 by falerus »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #315 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 19:13:37 »
Quote from: nolliepoper;466908
...at the end of the day it's all up to hashbaz, he is doing all of us a favor.

It's totally up to you guys.  I'm going to assume that nolliepoper is up next unless I'm told different.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 19:15:00 »
Quote from: curro123083;467315
What no tracking number to my place? I wanna know where it is... lol. I cannot wait to do a review, I was also thinking about doing a video review for a new youtube channel. I'll let everyone know if that happens.

I'll post it as soon as I know what it is! ;)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #317 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 19:16:48 »
Quote from: falerus;467355
Just received the tester! Review coming soon. There wasn't enough interest for the LA meetup so I'll be shipping to demik tomorrow or monday.

Thoughts:
browns: can baaarely tell that it's tactile... thought i would like these the most, and i'm really not sure if i do.
blues: don't think i (or wife) can stand the sound. i do like that it's light though.
blacks: too heavy
reds: i like these. i do game (not pro) but i also code... not sure if these are good for both
clears: i'm a noob so i had a hard time telling the difference between the clears and the brown lol. i could only tell when pressing verrry slowly. more tactility but also too heavy i think.
ergo clears: i liked this initially, but then i realized that it doesn't have enough force pushing the key up on release.
tacto clears: do not want - heavy
green: do not want - clicky
grey: meh... something just doesn't feel right

bonus: the rightmost ergo clear pings like crazy

Conclusion:
I think I narrowed it down to brown or red. Really need to try typing on those... so I'm hoping there's a meetup sometime. If anyone has any insight on how important tactility is, please let me know. I like the red but I feel like coming from RD's I'll have a hard time adjusting to zero tactile feedback. All I do is game and code, so if anyone also does that please let me know what you use and how you like it!

Big thanks to hashbaz and litster for this!

I love reds for coding, but they're a little too light for me when gaming (for Starcraft at least).

Offline Reptile

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 19:21:58 »
Thanks for the review falerus;

Sorry guys I have been busy and haven't been able to write a review.

So before the tester I have tried Browns, blues and blacks. I was excited to try the reds and the clears and didn't know what to expect from the green and greys.

Blacks - Pretty smooth but a lot of resistance.
Ergo Blacks - Didn't like this modification. Felt like stiff clears.
Browns - Again my first mechanical board was browns and use a brown board majority of the time (work)
Blues - Love the click feeling more than the sound. If they were more quiet I would love them even more.
Reds - Surprised me the most how much I liked these. Was expecting to not have any tactile bump like the blacks would be a huge thing for me but it wasn't. Also I think the best sounding by far (quiet)
Clears - Felt like browns that were broken or something. Just overall "something not right" came to me every time I pressed on the key.
Ergo clears - Again same thing I think about clears. Really glad I got to try this tester before buying a board with clears.
Green - My first thought: "I would buy a full green board; if they made them." I liked the greens very similar to blues but seemed like a little more resistance; which I liked. I also wish the greens were in a different spot being it had the (stabilizer's?) on each side so I couldn't really tell what the true feel would be.
Grey - I would like to swap one of these for my space bar or maybe even modifier keys. Just felt like it would belong there.

So overall I can say this tester tour has undoubtedly changed my mind on which board to get next. I was looking at the leopold with clears but most likely will go for a red board now. Now if someone would be kind enough to pass around a realforce tenkey :tongue:
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline falerus

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 19:22:56 »
Quote from: hashbaz;467464
I love reds for coding, but they're a little too light for me when gaming (for Starcraft at least).

hm what do you play sc with?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #320 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 22:12:38 »
I want in on R2 (Virginia) if there happens to be one. I would like to try clear vs. ergo clear, as well as blues.

I will, of course, write good reviews of everything.

Offline BossBorot

« Reply #321 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 22:43:48 »
I would like to get in on this when possible. As a new use I think it is only reasonable that I include some references. I have a high trader feed back in heatware, all positive, for forum trading under BossBorot and linked my user name here on that site as well to confirm that I am who I say I am.

Should I be deemed worthy to eventually lay my hands on it I can include around 20 o rings that I have left over from a wasd purchase so that future testers can try them out before buying.

I am located in Santa Cruz CA

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 23:00:52 »
Quote from: hashbaz;467463
I'll post it as soon as I know what it is! ;)

I know you will just can't wait and half the fun is spam tracking
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #323 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 23:31:51 »
Quote from: BossBorot;467556
I would like to get in on this when possible. As a new use I think it is only reasonable that I include some references. I have a high trader feed back in heatware, all positive, for forum trading under BossBorot and linked my user name here on that site as well to confirm that I am who I say I am.

Should I be deemed worthy to eventually lay my hands on it I can include around 20 o rings that I have left over from a wasd purchase so that future testers can try them out before buying.

I am located in Santa Cruz CA

Added you and dorkvader to the future rounds list.  Some O-rings would be an excellent addition, thanks!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #324 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 23:33:31 »
Quote from: falerus;467468
hm what do you play sc with?

Blues and buckling springs.

Offline falerus

« Reply #325 on: Fri, 09 December 2011, 23:41:59 »
Quote from: hashbaz;467577
Blues and buckling springs.

I see. Thanks for responding! Reds are looking pretty attractive now...

Offline bienc

« Reply #326 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 03:34:06 »
Quote from: falerus;467578
I see. Thanks for responding! Reds are looking pretty attractive now...

Thanks to the tester, I bought a Rosewill with Reds for work! I will be getting a WASD with Blues in the summer when I build a computer, though ;D
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline falerus

« Reply #327 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 12:51:55 »
Quote from: bienc;467629
Thanks to the tester, I bought a Rosewill with Reds for work! I will be getting a WASD with Blues in the summer when I build a computer, though ;D

Aw yea if I had known earlier I may have jumped on the $80 Rosewill Red deal :(
You like it though? I'm thinking about Rosewill or WASD (they should be getting Reds this month)

Offline LEGITBALLIN

« Reply #328 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 19:08:27 »
ill do this next round i live near Boston MA
V-tec just kicked in yo\'

Offline falerus

« Reply #329 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 19:19:34 »
Pics!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34495[/ATTACH]
The numpad chilling on Sawtelle (aka Little Osaka)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34496[/ATTACH]
Getting ready to eat some curry at Curry House (Southern California Japanese curry chain, though I believe there are some outside of SoCal now)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34498[/ATTACH]
Taking a walk around Westwood. This is the Village theater, where many premieres take place. Quote from wikipedia:
The Fox Village Theatre is typically thought of as one of if not the best movie premiere venue in the world. For 60 years some of the biggest films in cinema have premiered at the theatre including: A Star Is Born, James Bond, JFK, Mission Impossible, Batman, Harry Potter, Independence Day, Terminator and hundreds of others. Typically the streets get shut down and are used for red carpet arrivals.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34500[/ATTACH]
Lunch at California Pizza Kitchen (not really local flavor anymore, but it did start out in LA). Looks like the numpad wants to go make some deliveries or something.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #330 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 19:22:16 »
^ haha I'm there right now at Nijiya market on Sawtelle.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline falerus

« Reply #331 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 19:27:29 »
Quote from: reaper;468021
^ haha I'm there right now at Nijiya market on Sawtelle.

If you go to Sawtelle alot then I've probably seen you there lol.. I go there alot. I need to try that new ramen place but the line is so damn long.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #332 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 20:05:57 »
Thanks for the pics falerus!

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #333 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 20:09:28 »
Made my day when I saw my tester outside of Yogurtland!  We are finally getting Yogurtland here in the Seattle area.  Thanks for the pictures.

Offline falerus

« Reply #334 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 20:39:36 »
YVW :) It actually gave me a reason to not eat in hehe..
Yogurtland is growing like crazy! I still prefer pinkberry though. Very excited to buy a keyboard when I get back from vacation. Come to think of it, I might even stumble upon some since I'm going to the land of Duckys and HK as well... but the layout will not be US I'm guessing.
Anyways, hashbaz are you supposed to send me demik's address?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #335 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 20:53:07 »
Quote from: falerus;468060
Anyways, hashbaz are you supposed to send me demik's address?

Ah yes.  Sent. :)

Offline bienc

« Reply #336 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 22:02:53 »
Quote from: falerus;467818
Aw yea if I had known earlier I may have jumped on the $80 Rosewill Red deal :(
You like it though? I'm thinking about Rosewill or WASD (they should be getting Reds this month)

I regret missing that deal, but I didn't have my hands on the tester yet so I didn't want to drop the money. I'm still waiting for it in the mail. I guess UPS doesn't ship on Saturdays (I could have sworn they did, they dropped off the parts for my parent's build on a Saturday) so it'll be here on Monday. =). Can't wait to use it! I only got a Rosewill because it's for work anyway and I didn't want to spend more money decking it out with custom stuff, that I'll save for my Blue board =).
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2011, 00:16:50 by bienc »
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline litster

« Reply #337 on: Sat, 10 December 2011, 23:31:13 »
Quote from: falerus;468060
Very excited to buy a keyboard when I get back from vacation. Come to think of it, I might even stumble upon some since I'm going to the land of Duckys and HK as well... but the layout will not be US I'm guessing.

Both Taiwan and Hong Kong use ANSI layout.  Good luck shopping there!

Offline falerus

« Reply #338 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 00:08:07 »
Quote from: bienc;468076
I regret missing that deal, but I didn't have my hands on the tester yet so I didn't want to drop the money. I'm still waiting for it in the mail. I guess UPS doesn't ship on Saturdays (I could have sworn they did, they dropped off my the parts for my parent's build on a Saturday) so it'll be here on Monday. =). Can't wait to use it! I only got a Rosewill because it's for work anyway and I didn't want to spend more money decking it out with custom stuff, that I'll save for the my Blue board =).

Ah yea UPS doesn't do saturdays, but FedEx does. Let us know how you like it! I'm thinking either Rosewill or WASD, unless I stumble upon a better/cheaper option.

Quote from: litster;468100
Both Taiwan and Hong Kong use ANSI layout.  Good luck shopping there!

Oooh that's good to know. Thanks!

Offline bienc

« Reply #339 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 00:19:00 »
Quote from: falerus;468111
Ah yea UPS doesn't do saturdays, but FedEx does. Let us know how you like it! I'm thinking either Rosewill or WASD, unless I stumble upon a better/cheaper option.

Huh, maybe the parts got dropped off on Friday. Oh well! Also, man I just noticed I had a bunch of typos.

Rosewill is the cheapest option for Reds right now as far as I can tell. Only $99 on Newegg from $130. I would say hop on that before it goes back up. I'll probably do a review on it since I don't think there are any Rosewill Reds in the Review section.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline Skoobs

« Reply #340 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 00:47:14 »
i cant wait til my turn!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #341 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 01:54:47 »
when does round 2 start? i'm definitely interested in this. my location: california, san diego area

Offline bienc

« Reply #342 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 02:04:48 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;468142
when does round 2 start? i'm definitely interested in this. my location: california, san diego area

West Coast one is almost done, but it's up to litster. Probably another 2-3 weeks or so.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline ClackHead

« Reply #343 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 09:20:35 »
Any chance of a tester coming up to Canada soon?

Filco Majestouch TKL MXBlue

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #344 on: Sun, 11 December 2011, 11:06:40 »
Quote from: ClackHead;468262
Any chance of a tester coming up to Canada soon?

Yup, there are a lot of Canadians on the wait list.  Probably the next tour will be Canuckian.

Offline Skoobs

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 01:48:57 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;468142

thats really close to me...

we could keep this going if the thing is still in good condition when it gets to me.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #346 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 02:21:44 »
Quote from: Skoobs;468694
we could keep this going if the thing is still in good condition when it gets to me.

It's up to litster.  A while back he was talking about doing the Canadian round while my east coast tour finishes up.

Offline litster

« Reply #347 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 02:35:13 »
Quote from: Skoobs;468694
thats really close to me...

Why wouldn't it be in good condition?  I will hunt people down if my tester is damaged!!!!  :-)

Quote from: hashbaz;468716
It's up to litster.  A while back he was talking about doing the Canadian round while my east coast tour finishes up.

I am going up to Vancouver for the holidays, but I don't think the tester will be back to me in time for me to bring into Canada to mail it.  If I mail it in Canada it will definitely be cheaper to mail and arrive faster.  Let's discuss again when Skoobs has it.

Offline Kindari

« Reply #348 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 08:05:39 »
I'm interested. Either is fine - I've only used Blues, but I'm interested in Browns and Ergo Clears. Indiana, United States.

Offline The Ricker

« Reply #349 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 14:42:27 »
I found out about this tour on overclock.net. Could I be allowed to join a future round? I'm in Kansas.