Author Topic: What would you do with a small loan of $1 million?  (Read 5976 times)

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
Re: What would you do with a small loan of $1 million?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 23:31:16 »
I'd probably try to buy a kosmonavt and then see if I could buy a condo nearer to downtown. Strata fees and property tax seem better than renting.
Biking is fun.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:55:45 »
Buy every artisan keycaps on GH and then blend them all on twitch

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 13:28:30 »
Start a small company that would sell great-looking well-designed hardware. Maybe in kit form catering only to enthusiasts in the beginning.

Start with a counterpart to the MS "Natural" keyboard but with Cherry MX switches -- which there appears to be great demand for but which no major manufacturer has come out with yet.
Next product being PC case for mITX with a smarter internal layout.
Man must shape his tools lest they shape him
-- Arthur Miller

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 12:14:15 »
I'd like to think that I would invest it wisely but truth be told I'd probably blow through most of it in a year and then be sad.

Edit: A loan from a close and trusted individual who is very, very lenient about the terms of the loan and how you can pay it back. But still a loan.

Knowing me, I would probably not take the loan anyway, or I would take it and simply accelarate some of the expenses I normally need to put money aside for, such as wrapping up my Ph.D., which costs a car's worth of money, or getting books etc. Not sure about investments, including business investments, because I lack the training to properly evaluate them, and I'd rather not be making gambits and risking homelessness due to seizures. One exception: I might be tempted to buy my way into a law firm as a partner and skip the usual path, then catch up quickly behind the scenes (I left the profession early after graduating, so there are gaps in my knowledge, and I don't have a ton of experience).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 21:00:08 »
I'd build a CNC shop.
You'd be broke in no time, horrible industry.

Start a small company that would sell great-looking well-designed hardware. Maybe in kit form catering only to enthusiasts in the beginning.
Boutique manufacturers usually do it as a side business to something more mainstream because unless you charge a ton, small scale manufacturing is very difficult to make profitable.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | GMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 21:03:21 »
Nowadays I'd probably spend it on making a pilot or short for a series pitch to Netflix or the like.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 21:09:03 »
$1 mil is not a lot of money, sure you can invest it, but will your investment outrun the payments? Are you sure?

I'd pay it right back.
That or move it around through various numbered bank accounts, while simultaneously changing my name and nationality..
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | GMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 00:47:17 »

I'd pay it right back.

Came to say this.

That or move it around through various numbered bank accounts, while simultaneously changing my name and nationality..

Not even sure it's worth the hassle. $1 million isn't what it used to be.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 17:47:05 »
Charter a private jet with an on-board chef and eat an incredible meal flying as high as a plane will go, then when I'm done and have had my drink and think leap out and kill myself.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 18:20:34 »
Charter a private jet with an on-board chef and eat an incredible meal flying as high as a plane will go, then when I'm done and have had my drink and think leap out and kill myself.

Maximum Dark Today.

Offline greys

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 07:36:55 »
I would invest in my own business, I built an online store with WordPress recently and I'm working on its development right now. I bought a few Woocommerce plugins and just started using woocommerce product filter plugin. This plugin is a must have tool for every online store. It allows to filter by price, categories, tags, and attributes, enable or disable ajax search.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 September 2020, 03:17:26 by greys »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 09:26:19 »
Finally invest more into my small business to actually get it off the ground, invest in some property, pay off what debt I have left along with the wife's student debt/loans, and then stash away a chunk for my son's schooling and a trust fund.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 14:08:56 »
Finally invest more into my small business to actually get it off the ground, invest in some property, pay off what debt I have left along with the wife's student debt/loans, and then stash away a chunk for my son's schooling and a trust fund.

Lies, you'd buy a bunch of 3090s then spend the rest on Stonks.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 14:18:02 »
well that would be part of getting said business off the ground lol, and I already have my Stonks in Duke Energy and Enbridge Energy (then my precious metals and fine art pieces). 
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2020, 14:20:59 by Darthbaggins »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 15:11:51 »
well that would be part of getting said business off the ground lol, and I already have my Stonks in Duke Energy and Enbridge Energy (then my precious metals and fine art pieces). 

There is a glut in American energy right now, the mainstreet being down leds to no one buying power.

Recovery is typically slow, because these are not meme stonks,  and of course they're doing literally NOTHING about covid.   Questionable effectiveness of vaccine, already the prevailing conclusion that it will not be a binary event.

It's smart to go long though, and you can certainly do that with Energy.  <but Opportunity cost>

Tp4 is always fearful of 'Murican energy due to the liability of our n00qular fleet, which are all operating beyond or nearly at their designed lifespan.  The NRC is essentially the industry lapdog, not a regulatory agency whatsoever. For example, of recent, they've been handing out safety inspection wavers like candy, DURING a pandemic where there is fewer crew, engineers, more operational friction.

Each reactor site in terms of risk is the equivalent of a 700Billion to 2Trillion liability. Banks / Wallstreet /smart money won't touch n00qular.  So all of these sites are publicly under-written.   That isn't to say a disaster scenario couldn't instantly KO proximal valuations.

Then there's climate change, which greatly increases the likelihood of disaster, reactors have to shut down w/ warming oceans,  Jelly fish clogging the water pipes, wild fires, etc, etc.

Offline atarione

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 18:21:55 »
I would decline a loan of 1,000,000   .... unless I thought of something 108% sure to make money..... and be able to pay off the loan very very quickly.. but honestly 2020 being what it is .. I'm well unable to think of what would be a sure enough bet...

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • The sun god and destroyer of worlds
    • My promotion link
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 21:09:31 »
Mech keebs and buy a geniuine smash tv arcade cabinet, and then invest the rest into my education

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 22:29:07 »
Step 1: buy houses
Step 2: transfer title to other person
Step 3: declare bankruptcy
Step 4: ride out 7 years
Step 5: use rent money to buy cocaine, hookers and fund a really ****ty reality tv show that would kinda be like Jersey Shore but an Australian version so it would suck even harder.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 07:21:39 »
Step 5: use rent money to buy cocaine, hookers and fund a really ****ty reality tv show that would kinda be like Jersey Shore but an Australian version so it would suck even harder.

/Best answer

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 08:04:15 »
Since it would be a loan and the future is so uncertain, I would feel compelled to invest it and only withdraw and spend the dividends.

I would use those proceeds to enhance the lives of myself, my family, and my friends. I would also consider donations to worthy non-profit organizations.
The difference in characterization of crime and who commits it skews what criminality looks like demographically. "What we're seeing so far is very similar to the process that we see with Islamic violent Jihad radicalization," said former FBI Assistant Director Frank Figliuzzi, "This wanting to belong to a cause greater than yourself, wanting to get affirmation from a group who may not even know who you are or ever met you. And then feeling like you're part of this deployment, this cause. You heard him say on the clip 'It's my job to protect this.'
No, it's not your job. But you think it is. And video last night shows him walking around roaming around with the assault rifle not really doing much of protecting anything." Figliuzzi made it clear that calling these characters "troubled" is a misnomer. "I would assert," Figliuzzi continued. "that it's time we stopped using the word ‘troubled’ with regard to white young people who act out like this and start thinking about the radicalized term that we used when people of color or people of Islamic faith act out like this. This is a radicalization process that's happening. It happened with the El Paso shooter in Texas. We kept hearing he was troubled. No, he was radicalized. And it's happening online."

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 08:25:21 »

There is a glut in American energy right now, the mainstreet being down leds to no one buying power.

Recovery is typically slow, because these are not meme stonks,  and of course they're doing literally NOTHING about covid.   Questionable effectiveness of vaccine, already the prevailing conclusion that it will not be a binary event.

It's smart to go long though, and you can certainly do that with Energy.  <but Opportunity cost>

Tp4 is always fearful of 'Murican energy due to the liability of our n00qular fleet, which are all operating beyond or nearly at their designed lifespan.  The NRC is essentially the industry lapdog, not a regulatory agency whatsoever. For example, of recent, they've been handing out safety inspection wavers like candy, DURING a pandemic where there is fewer crew, engineers, more operational friction.

Each reactor site in terms of risk is the equivalent of a 700Billion to 2Trillion liability. Banks / Wallstreet /smart money won't touch n00qular.  So all of these sites are publicly under-written.   That isn't to say a disaster scenario couldn't instantly KO proximal valuations.

Then there's climate change, which greatly increases the likelihood of disaster, reactors have to shut down w/ warming oceans,  Jelly fish clogging the water pipes, wild fires, etc, etc.

I've had the energy stocks since i was born (Grandma used to work w/ Duke Energy in their corporate offices), I had 2 shares and over the years it has grown to 100.  It is one that I plan on not messing with until absolutely necessary.  I am happy about the Enbridge as they are pushing more for renewable energy more so that Duke has. 

If I didn't have kids I would probably go the route of @fanpeople lol (minus the reality show).  But also fund some grow ops in legal states as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2020, 08:27:42 by Darthbaggins »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 09:36:45 »
I've had the energy stocks since i was born (Grandma used to work w/ Duke Energy in their corporate offices), I had 2 shares and over the years it has grown to 100.  It is one that I plan on not messing with until absolutely necessary.  I am happy about the Enbridge as they are pushing more for renewable energy more so that Duke has. 

If I didn't have kids I would probably go the route of @fanpeople lol (minus the reality show).  But also fund some grow ops in legal states as well.

Tp4 is sure DB's grandma is a good person.  At 100 shares, DB is not at risk of anything catastrophic.

Point was, if one had $1Mil in Duke,  that's worrying.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 09:40:05 »
Yeah I'd be shifting w/ that much invested  :thumb:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • The sun god and destroyer of worlds
    • My promotion link
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 07:17:30 »

Bobux comes first